Volvo Oil Stick Length For Full

Cotreker

My dip stick is broken off at the end.  When I had the oil changed the oil level came to the very tip or what is now the tip.  In the past I measured a 2007 D12 at     38 1/4" from tip to cap.  What I do not know is the full mark from the tip.  Can someone measure there dip stick for me please; needs to be Volvo 2006 or near D12 motor.  So why not purchase one?  Great question they want about $250 for the complete assembly, so I am making one.

I have 2 pictures but cannot make them small enough to upload.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

I bought new dip stick from Volvo a few years ago. Broken top. 

Wasnt much. Around $40 I think. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Correction; my Volvo dealer just gave me the part number and a price of $128.00 for the stick only not an entire assembly.  Advantage has this part number for $144.61; my part number is 21500944.

MSRP price from Volvo started out at $158, hoping for the $42.00 price range.  I have $6.88 invested so far in my stainless cable.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

Ok the one I found looks like an aftermarket copy of the original.  

http://www.advantagetruckparts.com/volvo-truck-parts/volvo-d-12-engine-dip-stick/

The Dorman copy of your upgraded part number is 917-5503 and is about $56 at Summit Racing.

Some of the Volvo trucks you can get the oil level in the multifunction display before you start the truck.  If I remember correctly on mine you just turn the key on and wait five or ten seconds and it pops up automatically.  $6.88 works too.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

The top red thumb pull of mine just came loose from the wire when I was checking my oil yesterday.  Is the wire just epoxied in or some other way?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Very interesting observation! It is a good practice to gently pull on your dip stick to see if it releases from the cap end.  Mine also has this issue and I also noticed another truck with the same issue.  I used force to push it back in and it has stayed in place.  So I am attempting to purchase a $40.00 replacement stick.  Once I get this stick I will transfer the oil marks to my home made wire for possible use.  If you are going to put epoxy on the stick to the cap make sure to use high temp epoxy, there is a big difference.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

Archived