Webasto Block Heater

Cotreker

I am interested in purchasing a Webasto Diesel Block heater.  They do not look too difficult to install maybe 6 hours give or take.  Who has experience with doing this and are you using Webasto or the other brand also from Germany?  One of my Denver dealers has 8 of the Webasto units in stock.  Currently I plug into my Honda 3000 for about 8 hours at about 10 degrees and truck does start.  This runs the generator pretty hard for the first few hours and I can do very little else with the Honda 3000.  The Webasto will heat up the block entirely to about 90 degrees in two hours.  The plug in electric block heater will only heat the fluid in the general area of the element.  Overall this should help warm the oil a small amount as well.

My tentative build plans: 

1. Locate under the passenger door location, nothing is there. Maybe make a simple enclosure

2. Drill 1" hole for fuel pick up into top of fuel tank (per instructions / any recommendations)

3. Power from battery easy

4. Tap into coolant line, ok

5. Mount controller / timer in cab

6. Estimated cost for product and fuel line $1200

7. Get my local dealer to agree to adjust the CO2 with the deal, this makes it run much better at high altitude.  This is a must.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

I had a webasto heater in my school bus and i loved it. It had a timer so it would come on two hours befor my route. I only plug my curant, and all the others i have had over the past 36 years in for two hours saves a lot of electricity and they start just as good.

Hope this helps.

My truck had one when I bought it but it was disconnected.  I asked the previous owner about it and was told he had a coolant leak so he bypassed the heater to stop the leak.  Since he never had a problem starting the Volvo in the cold he never got around to fixing the heater.  My truck will start at 0 F without assistance but I would usually use the block heater for a couple of hours at that temperature.  Eight hours is excessive.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Thanks Nigel, I was not sure how many hours to put it on for so I let it go all night.  Do you think 2 to 3 hours is going to be enough?  My oil is NOT synthetic which makes a big difference in my Powerstroke.

Dennis

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

Coolant heater doesn't heat the oil.  The oil is laying in the bottom of the pan, and the coolant doesn't get anywhere near it until the engine is turning over.  Then the cold circulating oil runs through the warm block and head.

That's why we have multi-viscosity oils, that flow well in the cold, but don't break down under normal heat.  Synthetic or not, it's still about the same.

Two hours with a block heater ought to be ample time, unless you're in some serious below zero F climates.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

-5 this morning-15 yesterday morning and my school bus started fine after 2 hours plugged in. It would have started anyway but I keep my bus at home and don't won't to spoil that privilege. I plugged in one farm tractor for 45 minutes and the other one I just started. That was this morning and it had wormed up. I have started 7.3 internationals at -20 below in a pinch without plugging them in. The batteries make more difference than anything. They make heating pads for them. Believe it or not but an engine blanket actually works as well.

I’ve had quite a few light duty diesels over the years and a Cat C7 and this Volvo starts way better than any of them when cold.  Actually the Cat wouldn’t start if it was in the teens without being plugged in.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Gents, I might just try plugging in for 2 hours and do a refresh on my batteries.  I only have 3 batteries in this set up and have been thinking of adding a forth or really purchasing 4 new batteries.  I don't think the previous owner gave the batteries much love.  When I travel into the mountains I always have two generators; one Honda 3000 (in sled trailer) and one onboard 2800 propane (in RV).  I might have saved some money this evening, thanks!!

My last camp site Sunday evening.

volvo snow mesa.jpg

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

Well that picture answer s some of my questions, lookes like home. You probably only need to bring the temp up to 10 degrees or so above 0 to feel assured of a start. Crancking speed is what i find important to start in cold weather. I have some that wiil start at 75 persent or more reduction in speed you will learn what yours will do. I showed your pic to the wife, we will not be joining you!

I have not needed to connect the block heater yet. The Cummins(n14) has started in -10. But I do keep a battery charger hooked up, and have 4 3 yr old batteries. She cranks slow but on the 4th time around usually catches off. I will be installing an APU. This will heat the coolant and run an oil pan heater. After all, a warm engine. Is a happy engine.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Archived