Torklift Steps

Bob Vaughn

I just installed  Torklift 4 step steps on my 5th wheel to replace the 3 step factory steps that were a pain.....I have an artificial knee and a replacement hip and these make getting in an out of the camper 100% easier....our fur babies even like the ease of get in and out of the camper.  It is the best mod I have ever done to my camper .....

I replaced my original 3 step with the Torklift Glowstep Revolution 4 step a couple of years ago.  The best mod I ever made.  I have a bad knee and back and it made a tremendous improvement.  And the diving board effect is absolutely gone.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

I also replaced my RV steps with a 4-step TorkLift.  Added a step a few months later.  Made the mod hoping my old dog would more easily go down the stairs.  No, she doesn't.  When I buy a new 5er, I will take these off and put the OEM back on, then move the TorkLift to the new 5er.  No way I'm letting this mod go with the 5er.

We almost bought these in Tampa at the RV show but decided against them for one primary reason, they do not work well in the tight spaces of a truck stop or rest area. We needed the 5 step version and it comes out WAY to far to be useful in the situations we use them in. At the two areas noted above, we can fold down just one or two steps and leave the rest folded up and access the trailer without the steps going into the parking space next to us.

We even talked about using a step ladder and keeping it in the basement for the times we needed them but that would be a pain in the butt and sooner or later, we wouldn't use it, pull out the steps and have a Swift driver remove them from the trailer for us. I like the idea and they are very stable but have this one major issue. They are not as bad as the MORryde one piece unit is with our concerns and would be my choice if the factory steps need to be replaced in the future.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

The Moryde steps come out pretty far also, they are nice and sturdy but in tight spots like a truck stop or even in my storage spot they could be a tight fit.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

7 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

We needed the 5 step version and it comes out WAY to far to be useful in the situations we use them in. At the two areas noted above, we can fold down just one or two steps and leave the rest folded up and access the trailer without the steps going into the parking space next to us.

We replaced our 4 step diving board with the 5 step since our 5er sits high (42" from threshold to ground). We use these at truck stops with no problem. They come out a bit further than our old steps but they stay within our parking space,

18 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

We almost bought these in Tampa at the RV show but decided against them for one primary reason, they do not work well in the tight spaces of a truck stop or rest area. We needed the 5 step version and it comes out WAY to far to be useful in the situations we use them in. 

Respectfully disagree.  I have used the 5-step, fully deployed, and it did not extend past the white line of the rest stop parking lane I was in.

2 hours ago, remoandiris said:

Respectfully disagree.  I have used the 5-step, fully deployed, and it did not extend past the white line of the rest stop parking lane I was in.

1 hour ago, Bob Vaughn said:

I pick a spot on one end or the other where there will not be any one next to me....

Guys, you must stay in truck stops and rest areas that are a lot more generous than the ones we have found. I will also not pull to one side to deploy the steps as some of the drivers out there need every inch of their lane and some of yours to get pulled in.

We are as long as they are and really have to watch things closely. We try to park at the ends of the rest area but when they have to stop, a driver will park even without a space. I have woken up with TWO trucks beside me and I was in the last space in the rest stop. Neither of them was in a space.

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

21 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

We almost bought these in Tampa at the RV show but decided against them for one primary reason, they do not work well in the tight spaces of a truck stop or rest area. We needed the 5 step version and it comes out WAY to far to be useful in the situations we use them in. At the two areas noted above, we can fold down just one or two steps and leave the rest folded up and access the trailer without the steps going into the parking space next to us.

We even talked about using a step ladder and keeping it in the basement for the times we needed them but that would be a pain in the butt and sooner or later, we wouldn't use it, pull out the steps and have a Swift driver remove them from the trailer for us. I like the idea and they are very stable but have this one major issue. They are not as bad as the MORryde one piece unit is with our concerns and would be my choice if the factory steps need to be replaced in the future.

How did you get the Torklift steps to only deploy a couple of steps as they are all connected???

2 hours ago, Bob Vaughn said:

How did you get the Torklift steps to only deploy a couple of steps as they are all connected???

He doesn't have Torklift steps.  He is referring to his OEM fold out steps when he referenced only putting one or two steps out.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Bob, I was talking about our original steps that we kept because I CAN fold down one or two steps if need be. The Torklift is an all or nothing design. We even tried deploying the Torklift steps just halfway but the steps are angled too much and they are not stable at all. At this point, unless something else comes along, we will just keep our factory steps.

2017 Kenworth T680
2016 Smart Prime

Archived