Today -March security updates expand Meltdown-Spectre protection for Windows

RV_

Ed Bott is my favorite online tech author for Windows 10. Here he reviews today's slew of Windows patches:

Excerpt:

" Microsoft's Patch Tuesday updates for March include a variety of security updates for all supported Windows versions, as well as removing a compatibility check for antivirus software. A separate release significantly expands available microcode updates for affected Intel CPUs.

The long, slow process of patching more than a billion PCs worldwide against the Meltdown and Spectre attacks continued today, with Microsoft's release of an assortment of software patches for multiple Windows versions as well as an expanded release of Intel microcode updates.

Today's Patch Tuesday release includes security updates that defend against the Meltdown vulnerability on PCs running x86 versions of Windows 7 and 8.1. With those updates, all currently supported Windows releases now include defense against this vulnerability.

For devices running Windows 10, today's security updates also remove the antivirus compatibility check that had blocked earlier cumulative security updates. In a companion blog post, Microsoft noted that it will continue to block security updates on PCs running antivirus drivers that are known to have compatibility issues"

That whole article with hotlinks to related info is here:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/march-security-updates-expand-meltdown-spectre-protection-for-windows/?bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813&ftag=TREc64629f

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Believe I will just wait until the end of the month before turning updates back on! Just a bit leery of Microsoft!

I purchased a HP model 15hp92 with a Celeron N3050 processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD for $150.00 with barely any use. It has W/10 HP and I used CC cleaner and MalwareBytes, then used disk cleanup and disc Defragmentation. It has made the machine superbly faster loading programs and switching from one to another! Using Opera browser with duck-duck-go on it!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Archived