Domicile Questions

insidescoop

We have decided to sell our house and live in our RV full-time. We have obtained a P.O. Box for six months that is located nearby to where we will be Camp Hosting.  Here’s the rub...Or camp hosting position will only last for five months. When it is over we may have to move our location still within the state of California as my wife continues to work here. That means we would have to obtain a different PO Box at a different location here in California and the Pist Office is going to ask for two forms of ID at that time. Since we don’t have a home her or camp hosting position will only last for five months. When it is over we may have to move our location still within the state of California as my wife continues to work here until she retires. That means we would have to obtain a different P.O. Box at a different location here in California and they are going to ask for two forms of I.D. to secure that new P.O. Box.  The issue is where do we domicile so that we can live And carry-on business here in California until we retire to a home in Idaho? We still have to renew our drivers  licenses, retain our bank accounts, etc.  We figure there must be someone out there who is in the same position as us. What did you do? There are so many variables to this equation it gets beyond ridiculous! Any help anyone can provide is appreciated. If you have additional questions that would help to clarify our position please feel free to ask them.

CA will require a physical address for your drivers license and vehicle registration.  They will not accept just a PO box for either of those.  DMV will allow your PO Box to appear on both your DL and registration as the mailing address, but they will require a physical address exist in their system.  You will also require a physical address for voter registration (if you plan to continue to vote). 

Do you have any family in CA that will allow you to use their address as your permanent/physical address until you leave the state?  This would be the easiest way to go.  If not, then a close friend?  

One way or another, you will require a physical address in CA.  It may have to be the campground you are in if you do not have family or a friend's address to use.  This would be possible, but you would have to notify DMV each time you move campgrounds so they have your current physical and mailing addresses (there is a law which states you must notify DMV of any address changes within 10 days).  This would be a hassle, but could be done.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Most full-timers are in a hurry to get out of California so we may not have any experience with your situation. I wish I could be more help but I've never even lived in California. I've heard it is a hard state to leave so changing your domicile to a different state may not be a good idea because CA will want to know why your license plates are not local. Perhaps you could see about getting a lot at the SKP co-op in California?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Thank you Chad.  Your reply was very helpful.  My mother lives here so perhaps I just have to give the DMV that address as our physical address.  Truth is, we practically live there on and off anyways because she's always happy to see her son and daughter-in-law.

1 hour ago, Chad Heiser said:

CA will require a physical address for your drivers license and vehicle registration.  They will not accept just a PO box for either of those.  DMV will allow your PO Box to appear on both your DL and registration as the mailing address, but they will require a physical address exist in their system.  You will also require a physical address for voter registration (if you plan to continue to vote). 

Do you have any family in CA that will allow you to use their address as your permanent/physical address until you leave the state?  This would be the easiest way to go.  If not, then a close friend?  

One way or another, you will require a physical address in CA.  It may have to be the campground you are in if you do not have family or a friend's address to use.  This would be possible, but you would have to notify DMV each time you move campgrounds so they have your current physical and mailing addresses (there is a law which states you must notify DMV of any address changes within 10 days).  This would be a hassle, but could be done.

Lovin' that rig Chad!  Nice!

Just now, insidescoop said:

Lovin' that rig Chad!  Nice!

Thank you.  We really enjoy it.  Now I just need to retire so we can enjoy it more.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

5 hours ago, insidescoop said:

We have decided to sell our house and live in our RV full-time. We have obtained a P.O. Box for six months that is located nearby to where we will be Camp Hosting.  

Welcome to the Escapees forums! We are here to help and we do the best that we are able. I very much agree with the suggestions made by Chad. You may also want to use a postal box near where your wife works for the frequent mail so that you will not need to keep moving it about. Lenders and credit reporting companies tend to get nervous when a person moves too frequently. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

By far the easiest solution would be to use your mother's address. Then get a private mailbox for your mail and have them forward mail to you. It may make it easier to set up as many auto pays as possible so you dont have to worry about bills getting forwarded in a timely manner.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

2 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Welcome to the Escapees forums! We are here to help and we do the best that we are able. I very much agree with the suggestions made by Chad. You may also want to use a postal box near where your wife works for the frequent mail so that you will not need to keep moving it about. Lenders and credit reporting companies tend to get nervous when a person moves too frequently. 

Thank you.  I hadn’t thought of the angle about moving too much

2 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

Archived