Elks

SWharton

I had thought there was an Elks BOF and looked on Escapees.com for the BOF contact. Elks was not listed under BOFS so I assumed it had dissolved.

Yesterday I received my Escapees Mag and there is a BOF listed for Elks. I will contact them.

Why aren't all the BOFs listed on the Escapees website? Is there a contact to request this?

45 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Why aren't all the BOFs listed on the Escapees website? Is there a contact to request this?

The Elks BOF is listed on the Escapees website under "Escapees RV Club Elks BoF." 

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I looked them up on the internet and found the closest lodge to me and emailed and called them. They welcomed me and told me that they would let me join. I had an interest in joining so that I could use their RV parks if I needed to. I didn't follow up because I had second thoughts about joining just to use their RV parks. Good Luck

While staying at the Escapees Co-Op in Benson last winter season I joined the Wilcox AZ Elks Lodge. A resident at the Co-Op named Art was my sponsor. I saw Art at Quartzsite with the Escapees BOF campsite so I know they still exist. After a year of being a member and using their Lodge campgrounds I’m not sure that I will be renewing. Most Lodges have raised their camping rates and it is not as cost effective anymore. And most do not have full hookups or weekly or monthly rates. I can usually find a city or county park to stay in rather than parking in a parking lot. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

After a year of being a member and using their Lodge campgrounds I’m not sure that I will be renewing. Most Lodges have raised their camping rates and it is not as cost effective anymore. And most do not have full hookups or weekly or monthly rates. I can usually find a city or county park to stay in rather than parking in a parking lot. 

The Elks are a community based fraternal organization not a discount campground/RV park club or chain. If you read their webpage Who We are Statement and their Mission Statement;  camping/RV parking are not mentioned. Passport America, Happy Camper and Escapees RV Club offer 50% campground discount programs. If you are not aware of them, Free Campsites and the Ultimate Public Campground Project  are good sources of public facilities such as parks, fairgrounds, wildlife management areas, water management districts, etc. that allow camping/RV overnight parking. The Escapees Days End Directory lists a wide variety of overnight opportunities.

Bill and I can sponsor you if you’d like.  Send me a PM

We joined the Elks lodge closest to our son. It’s a great option for us since CG’s in the area are so expensive.  

New love being Elks.  Our yearly dues ($68) goes to great local programs.  

Bill and Kelly

2014 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon

2011 Ford F350 Super Duty Deisel Dual Rear Wheel Extended Cab XLT

<p> Callie along for the ride - Raskal and Cocoa now watching over us from above

new blog: bkamericanodyssey.com

On 3/13/2018 at 10:41 AM, SWharton said:

Either way all t he Bofs are not listed.

What BOF groups are not listed there?  I'm pretty sure that all of therm are listed on the website and in the magazine. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, jrzygrl64 said:

Bill and I can sponsor you if you’d like.  Send me a PM

I have been following this thread as I have had a interest in joining the Elks, not so much for the ability to park at a lodge location, but to support what they do. This statement makes it sound like it is a simple process to join, but according the Elks website, it is not that simple with sponsorship, other references, interviews, indoctrination, etc. 

Am I missing something?

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On 3/19/2018 at 6:48 PM, trailertraveler said:

The Elks are a community based fraternal organization not a discount campground/RV park club or chain. If you read their webpage Who We are Statement and their Mission Statement;  camping/RV parking are not mentioned. Passport America, Happy Camper and Escapees RV Club offer 50% campground discount programs. If you are not aware of them, Free Campsites and the Ultimate Public Campground Project  are good sources of public facilities such as parks, fairgrounds, wildlife management areas, water management districts, etc. that allow camping/RV overnight parking. The Escapees Days End Directory lists a wide variety of overnight opportunities.

Very well said.

Elks support many community organizations. Fees for RV parking is a way for smaller lodges (in membership numbers) to add some revenue for their many charitable causes.

Overnighting at Elks can be hit or miss. In very popular ("touristy") locations, you will be disappointed (full) - and do better at a WalMart  parking lot.  Urban areas.will have high demand for few spaces.  Ex: Santa Barbara, CA.= 16 sites and always full. Calling ahead well in advance is essential.

Others have plenty of room. Ex:  Palmdale CA = 80 sites.  Florence Oregon = 17 sites at the lodge plus 40 more at the "Elks RV Park".

Some lodges do not have *any* RV parking and do *not* allow overnight parking. Even lodges with high membership may only have parking for one or two RVs, which may adjoin other businesses - and be way noisier than a WalMart  (due to proximity & size).

For travelers, sometimes using the Elks RV parking is an opportunity to meet & socialize with Elks members at a lodge in different areas, simply because they are all Elks.

Some  Elks RV clubs have local outings which may be to other lodges.  Ex: The Mission Viejo (Saddleback Valley) CA lodge has a camping group which (besides other excursions) will plan visits to  other lodges for a weekend during their monthly "getaways".

Some long established Elks lodges -  are in areas which (now) might *not* be in a desirable location to spend the night -  although one or two spots are available! -  Choose wisely!

Bottom line -  joining  the Elks to save a few dollars on camping fees should not be the motivation!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I emailed 2 Elk lodges while we were in Phoenix and neither responded. Our plans changed and we ended up going to Escapade.

Arrived at Escapade to find out the initiation was on June 5th, 4 days after Escapade and we can't hang around. Wish we had know this as we could have rearranged our travels.

Never thought Elks would be so difficult to join.................

Oh well, maybe the next longer stop, if not there is Tucson.......................

Bill and Kelly: I don't think you can join Elks without being physically present or else we would join at Escapade.

On 5/29/2018 at 9:09 AM, SWharton said:

I emailed 2 Elk lodges while we were in Phoenix and neither responded. Our plans changed and we ended up going to Escapade.

Arrived at Escapade to find out the initiation was on June 5th, 4 days after Escapade and we can't hang around. Wish we had know this as we could have rearranged our travels.

Never thought Elks would be so difficult to join.................

Oh well, maybe the next longer stop, if not there is Tucson.......................

Bill and Kelly: I don't think you can join Elks without being physically present or else we would join at Escapade.

Not difficult.  Skip the e-mail .....just call - or if you're close, stop by.

Calling: - If the lodge is open - even if it doesn't have an 'office person', usually the phone will be answered  (by a member or the bartender) - or a voice-mail message with hours.

Stop by:  -  Open weekends for smaller lodges. Daily for larger.  Usually if it's closed, hours are posted.  If the lodge has more than minimal RV access,  check for a  campground host.

Note:  Some lodges have *NO* RV "accommodations" - or even space for RV parking.

Yes - joining requires being physically present.  Initiation is not complicated, but usually there is someone who explains who the Elks are, etc. *prior*  to initiation.  How often a lodge holds the ceremony - depends on the need.  (Ours is monthly).

We have found a lodge. We will be in Williamsburg, VA for a month or so and contacted the Newport News Elks. The person I spoke to understood the timing problem of RVers. He told me to apply and once he received the application he would move it along and we would be initiated in June/July. Hopefully he follows through. I have his cell  so I  will call him late next week to make sure he received the application.

Bottom line -  joining  the Elks to save a few dollars on camping fees should not be the motivation!

What motivates me to join or not to join is up to me not for you to decide. I am full time and travel a lot so I am not interested in the activities, dinners or bar at the lodge I will never return to.  I am only interested in the RV parking which is no longer competitive with other parks. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I joined mostly for the cheap camping but once I learned more about the Elks and what they do I am proud to be a member. Though I am not active in my home Lodge I am confident they are putting my membership fees to good use, especially in helping out our veterans. 

We have camped at some great spots (Oak Island, NC - free dry camping 2 blocks from the ocean!) and try to go in for a drink or meal so we can chat with local members and learn a bit about the area we are visiting.

If given a choice we would stay at an Elks Lodge rather than a Walmart every time.

Tom and Mare

The Breeze RV

https://thebreezerv.wordpress.com

2002 National Sea Breeze

2004 Harley Electra Glide Classic

Archived