Sign in to follow this  
taylor90

RV mattress suggestion?

The mattress that came stock with our motorhome is not very comfortable. It's too firm so that I can not sleep well on it. It even causes back pain sometimes. Anyone suggest me with a great value mattress short queen? Look forward to your replies and a comfortable night sleep!

pending your mattress size.

some rvs have a smaller size.

but just buy and install one of your liking.

just check first to make sure the rv was not made with a very smaller size in mind.

mine it is a " standard size queen" so all is good for me.

replacment is as easy as just buying a new mattress.

Edited by packnrat

Something tells me your stock mattress is not too firm, but it is too thin and the platform is what is too firm.  Regardless, the "rv queen" is only a little smaller than a standard queen.  Use a measuring tape and measure your RV mattress.  Then go to any mattress store and measure a queen there.  You'll see.

Test out a few mattresses while you are there.  Keep in mind some of the "bed in a box" mattresses give a 100 night try it out guarantee.  If you are in one place, it doesn't matter.  But if you are nomadic, it may make a difference.

An rv mattress is a little heavier than a standard mattress, but not a whole lot.

BTW, we were in the same position as you a few years ago.  Bought a regular mattress and are happy.  May change to a king next time though.  I'll live with the overhang from the platform.

Edited by remoandiris

Before spending the money on a new mattress, you might want to try out a mattress topper.  We did that in our previous fifth wheel and it worked out great.  We now have an air bed which we both find very comfortable.

Like Linda said. We did same. A good topper foam like egg crate style did great for us for several years. Cost was around $80 for a good one. 

I was struggling looking for the best short queen RV mattress and finally made a decision to purchased the LUCID queen short after reading a lot of reviews and buyer's guide. Here is a helpful review that convinced me to buy this great value mattress: https://outdoorfact.com/best-RV-mattress-short-queen. The mattress fits in our camper perfectly! Was easy to unroll and put in place, however it rolls out upside down also the bed is heavy so I would recommend two people. The bed is firm so if you like a softer bed this is not for you. I did not notice a smell like some of the other reviewers, however my hubby did but he said it was not a bad smell. I am happy with my purchase!
Read more details and reviews of recent buyers about the product here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088YUYF6/&tag=billionaire03-20

9 minutes ago, BillyPro said:

Thanks Billy for a great suggestion! But maybe I should look for a softer option since I can not sleep well on firm mattress. My back can not handle it :D

Edited by taylor90

16 hours ago, LindaH said:

Before spending the money on a new mattress, you might want to try out a mattress topper.  We did that in our previous fifth wheel and it worked out great.  We now have an air bed which we both find very comfortable.

Yeah, that would be a awesome idea which can save me a good amount of money. A mattress topper is much cheaper but can offer the same comfort! (y)

We have bought two 10" Queen size and one 12" King size gel/memory foam mattresses from Amazon and been thrilled with all of them. We have bought a new 8" Queen short gel/memory foam for our last RV and it was great, despite being only eight inches thick. We have found that toppers sleep too hot unless they are gel foam. Here is one like the one we bought: https://www.amazon.com/LUCID-Inch-Memory-Foam-Mattress/dp/B0088YUYF6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520979744&sr=8-3&keywords=gel+foam+RV+queen+short+mattress&dpID=515XGsr2wVL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I have to tell you that the gel infused top layer makes a big difference. We have slept on Gel memory foam for ten years now and cannot go back to springs n things mattresses.

I have lumbar and cervical back issues and before my surgeries in 2016, I got instant relief from the morning wake up lumbar ache when we switched to our first gel three layer memory foam mattress. Then I had surgery for both and still find my sleep undisturbed by the old pains from a mattress without gel foam construction.

So far we have not worn one out. We sold one with a queen bed, to sell it to a friend, then got a new frame and mattress. Then we decided we wanted a king size. Also don't let price fool you. Paying more doesn't give better quality. I would not have a hybrid, air filled, or other "wonder Mattress!" as seen on TV. Just three layers of foam, a thick bottom support layer. the middle memory foam layer, and the top 2-4 inch blue Gel cooling foam layer.

I doubt you'd have any issues with the one linked above. It has a four star average rating over

We were shocked that the RV 8 inch thick three layer gel foam mattress in the RV was as comfortable as our ten and 12 inch thick Gel/memory/support three layer foam mattresses.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:54 AM, taylor90 said:

The mattress that came stock with our motorhome is not very comfortable. It's too firm so that I can not sleep well on it. It even causes back pain sometimes. Anyone suggest me with a great value mattress short queen? Look forward to your replies and a comfortable night sleep!

Our StarCraft TT came with an upgraded "Denver Plush Comfort" mattress.  We both said we'd hate to have seen and slept on the base model mattress :lol:.  We purchased from mattressinsider.com and opted for the regular length queen 8" Gel Foam.  We absolutely love it. They have great customer service, a super satisfaction guarantee, and often have great sale promotions.