RV mattress suggestion?

taylor90

The mattress that came stock with our motorhome is not very comfortable. It's too firm so that I can not sleep well on it. It even causes back pain sometimes. Anyone suggest me with a great value mattress short queen? Look forward to your replies and a comfortable night sleep!

pending your mattress size.

some rvs have a smaller size.

but just buy and install one of your liking.

just check first to make sure the rv was not made with a very smaller size in mind.

mine it is a " standard size queen" so all is good for me.

replacment is as easy as just buying a new mattress.

Edited by packnrat

Something tells me your stock mattress is not too firm, but it is too thin and the platform is what is too firm.  Regardless, the "rv queen" is only a little smaller than a standard queen.  Use a measuring tape and measure your RV mattress.  Then go to any mattress store and measure a queen there.  You'll see.

Test out a few mattresses while you are there.  Keep in mind some of the "bed in a box" mattresses give a 100 night try it out guarantee.  If you are in one place, it doesn't matter.  But if you are nomadic, it may make a difference.

An rv mattress is a little heavier than a standard mattress, but not a whole lot.

BTW, we were in the same position as you a few years ago.  Bought a regular mattress and are happy.  May change to a king next time though.  I'll live with the overhang from the platform.

Edited by remoandiris

Before spending the money on a new mattress, you might want to try out a mattress topper.  We did that in our previous fifth wheel and it worked out great.  We now have an air bed which we both find very comfortable.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Here is another recent topic on the forum regarding RV mattresses that may help you.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Like Linda said. We did same. A good topper foam like egg crate style did great for us for several years. Cost was around $80 for a good one. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I was struggling looking for the best short queen RV mattress and finally made a decision to purchased the LUCID queen short after reading a lot of reviews and buyer's guide. Here is a helpful review that convinced me to buy this great value mattress: https://outdoorfact.com/best-RV-mattress-short-queen. The mattress fits in our camper perfectly! Was easy to unroll and put in place, however it rolls out upside down also the bed is heavy so I would recommend two people. The bed is firm so if you like a softer bed this is not for you. I did not notice a smell like some of the other reviewers, however my hubby did but he said it was not a bad smell. I am happy with my purchase!
Read more details and reviews of recent buyers about the product here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0088YUYF6/&tag=billionaire03-20

16 hours ago, LindaH said:

Before spending the money on a new mattress, you might want to try out a mattress topper.  We did that in our previous fifth wheel and it worked out great.  We now have an air bed which we both find very comfortable.

Yeah, that would be a awesome idea which can save me a good amount of money. A mattress topper is much cheaper but can offer the same comfort! (y)

We have bought two 10" Queen size and one 12" King size gel/memory foam mattresses from Amazon and been thrilled with all of them. We have bought a new 8" Queen short gel/memory foam for our last RV and it was great, despite being only eight inches thick. We have found that toppers sleep too hot unless they are gel foam. Here is one like the one we bought: https://www.amazon.com/LUCID-Inch-Memory-Foam-Mattress/dp/B0088YUYF6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520979744&sr=8-3&keywords=gel+foam+RV+queen+short+mattress&dpID=515XGsr2wVL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I have to tell you that the gel infused top layer makes a big difference. We have slept on Gel memory foam for ten years now and cannot go back to springs n things mattresses.

I have lumbar and cervical back issues and before my surgeries in 2016, I got instant relief from the morning wake up lumbar ache when we switched to our first gel three layer memory foam mattress. Then I had surgery for both and still find my sleep undisturbed by the old pains from a mattress without gel foam construction.

So far we have not worn one out. We sold one with a queen bed, to sell it to a friend, then got a new frame and mattress. Then we decided we wanted a king size. Also don't let price fool you. Paying more doesn't give better quality. I would not have a hybrid, air filled, or other "wonder Mattress!" as seen on TV. Just three layers of foam, a thick bottom support layer. the middle memory foam layer, and the top 2-4 inch blue Gel cooling foam layer.

I doubt you'd have any issues with the one linked above. It has a four star average rating over

We were shocked that the RV 8 inch thick three layer gel foam mattress in the RV was as comfortable as our ten and 12 inch thick Gel/memory/support three layer foam mattresses.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:54 AM, taylor90 said:

The mattress that came stock with our motorhome is not very comfortable. It's too firm so that I can not sleep well on it. It even causes back pain sometimes. Anyone suggest me with a great value mattress short queen? Look forward to your replies and a comfortable night sleep!

Our StarCraft TT came with an upgraded "Denver Plush Comfort" mattress.  We both said we'd hate to have seen and slept on the base model mattress :lol:.  We purchased from mattressinsider.com and opted for the regular length queen 8" Gel Foam.  We absolutely love it. They have great customer service, a super satisfaction guarantee, and often have great sale promotions.

• 1 year later...

Before we retired and became full time RV'ers, we had a full motion water bed that we loved.  We knew that we could not move it to the RV because of the weight.  We tried several air mattresses but they did not work out (leaks, burst when traveling over continental divide at 14,000 feet, etc).  We ended up with an 8 inch memory foam that worked out very well.

When we downsized from the 5th wheel to our current travel trailer, we discovered that we hated the mattress that came with the trailer.  We added a memory foam topper but found that while it was quite comfortable, it would not stay in position and we had to re-position it every day or two.

We just purchased another 8 inch memory foam mattress and look forward to using it this summer as we travel the country.  It is the same brand that we had before end we expect we will love it also:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BW7H5G6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Safe Travels... 

Edited by k4rs

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Since we are in the RV a lot  we purchased a sleep number.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

11 minutes ago, richfaa said:

Since we are in the RV a lot  we purchased a sleep number.

Those things are great, until you start experiencing the valley of pain they all develop.  Threw ours in the dumpster, never again, we went through all their fixes/suggestions.

We bought a Zinus 8 inch memory foam Green Tea for RVs from amazon, so far so good.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

To add yet another thought to this discussion, we purchased a 3" thick pure latex topper through Amazon, in a short queen length, and have been thrilled with it.  Natural latex often gets overlooked as an option and it is more expensive than most memory foams, but it is an entirely different feel than memory foam.  It compresses to conform to your body but then it bounces back as soon as you move.  As a result it cradles you no matter how you lie on it.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

2 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

Those things are great, until you start experiencing the valley of pain they all develop.  Threw ours in the dumpster, never again, we went through all their fixes/suggestions.

We bought a Zinus 8 inch memory foam Green Tea for RVs from amazon, so far so good.

We have no idea what you are talking about. Explain "the valley of pain they all develop"We have had sleep numbers in our Home and RV for years with not a problem or a "valley of pain" 

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

2 hours ago, richfaa said:

We have no idea what you are talking about. Explain "the valley of pain they all develop"We have had sleep numbers in our Home and RV for years with not a problem or a "valley of pain" 

Surprised you have not heard of it.  They all break down in the middle between the bladders.  When you call them, they send you a wedge shaped piece of foam to put under them and a new piece of foam to place between the bladders.  We did it several times over the 10 years we had one, their quick fix was always short lived.  The valley develops between the bladders leaving a depression one or both of you end up rolling into during the night.  This tore my back up, always woke up in pain.  I'm not the only one, has been going on for a long time.  So much that they know about it and try to fix it with cheap worthless foam.  The happiest day in my life was when I threw that dayum thing in the trash where it belonged.  Good luck with yours.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

We have never had anything like that happen .

On 3/12/2018 at 5:34 PM, LindaH said:

Bought the topper for hard mattress in old rv. New rv mattress in our Open Range soft but now staying compressed.  Topper too soft on it.

15 hours ago, richfaa said:

We have never had anything like that happen .

Rich, I'm betting you have the newer model where the bladders zip together, unlike the old style that just had a piece of foam between them. I have had both and the newer style is a bit better, imho, although I never had any issues with the other. Either way,  I love my sleep number.

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo