Electrical problems

JEEPOHOLIC

Ok let’s put our collective minds together for this one, I’ve got a 1999 freightliner sports chassis powered by a CAT motor, automatic transmission, I went to start it and nothing happened, like the batteries were dead, checked that, batteries are good, no buzzer or bells, anyone had this happen before, and what was the cause, just trying to get some feed back before I have it towed in to a shop somewhere in the Kent Washington area, BTW I just negotiated a 15% off at the KOA here in Kent for anyone with a current union dues receipt, thanks in advance for your help

Update:
I left the key on while trying to diagnose the problem, and for no reason what so ever, all the bells and whistles came on, I was just looking for a screwdriver to take the fuse cover off with, I hadn’t payed attention to the time frame of how long the key was on for. 
So it appears the problem still exists and it’s not solved I turned it off, and wouldn’t you know nothing again, and once again I hadn’t payed attention to how much time passed, say less that 2 minuets the bells came on

We had a problem with slightly different sympoms with battery cables.  The voltage at the starter was a volt or so less than the batteries but dropped to near 0v when the key was turned to start.  A check of the voltage at the starter with the key on and again when turned to start may provide a good clue.  Our trouble was fixed with new cables.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Dose the truck have an alarm system?

if so a cutout could have been activated. 

Also the 3126 has a built in battery inside the ECM. The only way to my knowledge to check it is plug into the truck and see in the engine info comes up. 

But that usually would give you a crank/no start. 

It could very well be a loose or bad battery cable  making intermittent connection.  This could be happening inside the lug where the cable enters and not be readily visible.  I would pull every battery cable and check them.  At least that would be where I would start.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Archived