coywolf breed

HomeSweetRV

Good article that makes a lot of sense to me.  I know of a Marine back in 1958 in 29 Palms, California that had a coyote/dog mix.  I don't know where the animal came from but thought it was a local.  He had a pack made up for the animal and they hiked/walked from the stumps to Palm Springs for some charity. The animal carried mucho water for the trip.  Was a small hero for a while.

Catfish

'08 Chebbie K3500; '07 Teton Sunrise Experience;
Native Texan/Transplanted Tarheel; Retired USMC

​LDO

4 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

First order, understand how the COYWOLF is 'not a thing'  ... si I look in the "conversation.com and the author states "

However, this is not a new species – at least not yet – and I don’t think we should start calling it a “coywolf."  

This is the authors opinion.  Then I looked at dependable science sites, (and I saw the PBS doc). If you are really interested, maybe dig a little deeper on your search page, that is just the first thing you see? Down below, is the Smithsonian article....www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/coywolves-are-taking-over-eastern-north-america-180957141/  that states..." 

The hybrid, or Canis latrans var., is about 55 pounds heavier than pure coyotes, with longer legs, a larger jaw, smaller ears and a bushier tail. It is part eastern wolf, part wester wolf, western coyote and with some dog (large breeds like Doberman Pinschers and German Shepherds), reports The Economist. Coywolves today are on average a quarter wolf and a tenth dog.

That blend helps make the hybrid so successful that it now numbers in the millions, Roland Kays of North Carolina State University tells The Economist. The reporter writes:

Coyotes dislike hunting in forests. Wolves prefer it. Interbreeding has produced an animal skilled at catching prey in both open terrain and densely wooded areas, says Dr Kays. And even their cries blend those of their ancestors. The first part of a howl resembles a wolf’s (with a deep pitch), but this then turns into a higher-pitched, coyote-like yipping.

While the fact that coywolves can still breed with wolves and dogs means it doesn’t quite fit the definition of a new species (for some), that may change. Coywolves are telling an “amazing contemporary evolution story that’s happening right underneath our nose,” Kays tells The Economist.

Someday, they may unambiguously be another species, but for now coywolves are enjoying the advantages of hybrid vigor." 

and so it goes, we call this 'thing' a COYWOLF (informally) 

live science defines COYWOLF as such

Every article refers to them as COYWOLF. 

The coywolf is a hybrid species containing DNA from both coyotes and wolves.

Credit: Jon Way | Eastern Coyote/Coywolf Research

• 2 weeks later...

"CLC"

There have been sightings in the SW , close to the US -Mexico border of an even newer hybrid species:  "Chupa-lobo-cabrote", which is a conglomeration of names for a -  chupacabra, wolf (lobo), and coyote. 

Since the seldom-seen predator/s rarely strike in the daylight, some Texans simply say a farm animal was attacked by a "CLC"  (or nothing at all) during the night  to avoid ridicule

In Mexico a variation of the name is,  "Chupacabrote con Lobo y Perro"  (to include dogs in the mix).

Ranchers hope an improved wall/fence along the US/MX border will curtail any further proliferation of the hybrid into the US.

Archived