Replaced my oem central vacuum..

bigbillsd

I replaced my OEM central vac last summer with one of these: Dirt Devil units.

Best update ever!   Only issue is now my DW makes me vacuum the carpet as there is so much suction she cannot move it across the carpet.   It is really powerful, way more than any other vacuum I ever saw except my Aunts ancient Kirby that could suck your toes off.

But she just wanted me to vacuum more.  She had some other excuse when the prior unit barely had any suction. 

It did take some modification of the opening in the wall to make it a bit larger for the internal (behind the wall) hose to fit,  it was much larger diameter and was much more beefy so it didn't try to kink while running like the OEM version tiffin put in back in 06 did.   -Bill    

2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
Freightliner XCR, 400 hp Cummins
Toad 2014 Chevy Equinox (DWM)
Blog: http://cowlesmountain.com/Travels/

S&B San Diego

• 3 months later...

I have  Purvac Barracuda now, but have had several brands in different homes. The important things I consider.

1. Get one with a disposable bag. It is cleaner, easier to empty, and protects the motor.
2. Do NOT get a contractor's special. It was inferior to a brand name and did not work as well.
3. You can get a power brush in two different methodologies. If electricity is supplied to the hose, a power brush with be activated by plugging it into the wall outlet. If no electricity, you can use an air-powered model.
4. To prevent marring the walls, especially around corners, buy a "hose sock" which fits over the hose and protects walls and furniture from abrasion.
5. New wans are expandable with the push of a button to reach the ceiling and under deep spaces. I really like this feature on my latest model.
6. If you put a hose outlet in the garage purchase a special hose so not to get the house hose dirty. Same thing applies to the basement.
7. You can hang the hose on a small plastic garden hose reel in a closet.

We removed the built-in vacuum system years ago . That freed up space in the closet where the hose and tools were stored as well as in the basement where the motor/blower used to be.  We use a Dyson V7 which is much more effective in removing debris from the floor than the central vac ever was.  The difference between having an electrically powered beater brush and an air-powered one is huge.  The Dyson hangs on a wall in the bedroom near an electrical outlet and is always charged and ready for use.  Although the Dysons are expensive, there are often discounted packages available through Sam's and Costco.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2018 at 7:13 PM, Pat & Pete said:

We use a Dirt Devil . DW says she'd buy another one , so it must be real good at what it does . 

I agree, I bought a cordless Dirt Devil for $99 at WM. It has more suction than the whole-house Dirt devil in the MH + the carpet head really fluffs up the carpeting. The down-side_ I've gotta hurry to complete the entire MH on one battery charge.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I agree, I bought a cordless Dirt Devil for $99 at WM. It has more suction than the whole-house Dirt devil in the MH + the carpet head really fluffs up the carpeting. The down-side_ I've gotta hurry to complete the entire MH on one battery charge.

They did that on purpose . So you have more time for the next Honey-do on the list . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2018 at 8:45 AM, docj said:

We removed the built-in vacuum system years ago . That freed up space in the closet where the hose and tools were stored as well as in the basement where the motor/blower used to be.  We use a Dyson V7 which is much more effective in removing debris from the floor than the central vac ever was.  The difference between having an electrically powered beater brush and an air-powered one is huge.  The Dyson hangs on a wall in the bedroom near an electrical outlet and is always charged and ready for use.  Although the Dysons are expensive, there are often discounted packages available through Sam's and Costco.

We just got the Dyson V10 - so far, I'm in love. A dirt devil came with our unit but it just didn't have enough power. We were lugging around our much beloved Sebo which was just too heavy. 

Archived