Spare parts special tools to carry

Lance A Lott

I was wondering what spare parts people have found they really should carry.  I know I have stuff in my box I haven't touched in 20 years and then I find I need something I never thought about putting in.  I am sure a few feet of air line and some fittings are a must but what else? Brake can, air bag? I have a 2012 Volvo 630. Anything they might be known to need?

Air governor, 1/4, 3/8 air lines with fittings for both, handy set of airline release tools, some type of 1/2 torque wrench (electric or battery) ,sockets, wrenches, socket set 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, some type of torque measuring wrench.  Various nuts,  bolts, washers, cotter pins.  No need for spare bag or brake can, easy to get.  Spare fuel filters.  Oh, yeah have a spare brake can caging bolt.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I am sure we can brain storm this, adding some favorite tools to Carl's list.

- Milwaukee 2763-20 M18 Fuel 1/2-Inch High Torque Impact Wrench (700 ft/lbs) is probably the most used tool.  Will remove trailer lug nuts.  Will assist removing truck lug nuts after breaking them loose with the next tool. (need 1/2" to 1" adapter or 1/2" drive deep well socket to fit truck lug nuts)

- Torque Multiplier Lug Nut Wrench 1:65 gear ratio for breaking truck lug nuts loose

-1/2” Drive Torque Limiting Extension Bar, just the one out of the set that is right for your trailer lug nuts (probably 110 ft/lbs)

- 12 ton hydraulic jack

- I carry a 48" torque wrench that goes to 6 or 700 ft/lbs.  I might have a spare if anyone needs one.  Gov't auction surplus.

- fuses of all sizes and breed

-a couple of truck relays

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Chet,

Might bring your spare to ECR flea market if you’re trying to sell.  Bet you’d have a taker?  Don’t want to derail the thread but how do you get in on the govt surplus auctions?  I’ve got a few things I’m looking for.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

www.govplanet.com  or www.ironplanet. com

They are ran by the same people.  Sign up and start bidding.  I just bought a sweet 10KW diesel generator for $1500.  4-cylinder, 1800 rpm, in a low noise housing.  It has a switch for 120V, 120/240, or 208 three phase.  Don't buy the 813 model, they are 400 hz.

Read the description carefully.  If it say a EUC is required it is a certificate to sell internationally.  PITA to get it done.

http://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Generator-Sets-2003-Fermont-MEP-803A-10kW-Gen-Set-Georgia/819716?h=5002%2Cc|13%2Ct|3821%2Cmsg|27232%2Csm|0%2CisAuc|yes%2Cmf|1&rr=0.2&hitprm=&pnLink=yes

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Have an air line fitting on an air tank and air line to reach all tires. I have one of those portable air tanks but wish it had one with those air blasters. Lost air in a tire and couldn't get it to seat on rim. Called a guy-I'll be there in 5 min. Hooked up air line and gave it a blast. Whamo That'll be $150.00 sir I just need to cut a hole in mine and weld on what I need. Brake caging bolt like someone said. I have rubber air lines and have some hose and fittings and some vise grips if needed.

12 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Seems we just went through this a while back, maybe a year ago?

Found it: 

Following this thread, read the other one.  Vegas Flyer, funniest thing I've read this weekend!!!

I  forgot where I got the advice, but I picked up a couple of spare radiator hoses.  I still need to get a heater hose and  whatever piece of hard tube to clamp it to, in case of a leak.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Thanks everyone who has responded to my question. Couple of things I had not thought of.

My wife has a polmaranian (spelling) that try's to bite me every time I get near her (wife, dog loves me if she is not around) maybe if I put the wife's picture on the toolbox the dog will think it the wife's and keep me away! 

Any volvo specific tools I might not know about until midnight, in the rain and 50 miles in the boondocks? I really hope I never find out! 

8 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

Thanks everyone who has responded to my question. Couple of things I had not thought of.

My wife has a polmaranian (spelling) that try's to bite me every time I get near her (wife, dog loves me if she is not around) maybe if I put the wife's picture on the toolbox the dog will think it the wife's and keep me away! 

Any volvo specific tools I might not know about until midnight, in the rain and 50 miles in the boondocks? I really hope I never find out! 

Not Volvo specific.  Just remember they are metric.  You will want a fuel filter wrench like this especially if you have a Davco system.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDisplay.cfm?lookup=OTC6915&source=froogle&kw=OTC6915&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9I6WnOfk2QIVRVcNCh2ZfgTyEAQYCiABEgJD6fD_BwE

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Got the credit card covered as well as two many tools to count or carry. My parents full time.  until last year with a Montana tag along and a  2500 Duramax, a Spider and  enough tools to do most anything for everyone else at the campground. Last winter thy bought a moter home and a 8.5'  by 20' "garage" and a Masda Meyata to finish filling it. So I will be genetically inclined to have to much but may be with therapy from you all I can take a little less.

Gave this thread some thought today........  Dangerous territory.

Don't go out and buy tools with which you aren't comfortable.  If you aren't mechanically inclined, along the road is no place to learn.  On the other hand, if you're handy, you can figure out how get by with less.  An olde pharte once told me, "anybody can work with tools.  It takes a mechanic to work without them."

I have a list of things I "stock" in the toolbox before leaving on a trip.  But sometimes, you get rushed and forget something.  The last trip, I remembered my M18 Fuel impact, but forgot the sockets.  Duh.:(

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

12 hours ago, Sculptor said:

Following this thread, read the other one.  Vegas Flyer, funniest thing I've read this weekend!!!

I  forgot where I got the advice, but I picked up a couple of spare radiator hoses.  I still need to get a heater hose and  whatever piece of hard tube to clamp it to, in case of a leak.

I stand by my post to the thread from last year, with the addition of food for the German Shepherd....

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

• Phil D changed the title to Spare parts special tools to carry
On 3/10/2018 at 8:57 PM, beemergary said:

Have an air line fitting on an air tank and air line to reach all tires. I have one of those portable air tanks but wish it had one with those air blasters. Lost air in a tire and couldn't get it to seat on rim. Called a guy-I'll be there in 5 min. Hooked up air line and gave it a blast. Whamo That'll be $150.00 sir I just need to cut a hole in mine and weld on what I need. Brake caging bolt like someone said. I have rubber air lines and have some hose and fittings and some vise grips if needed.

Can of ether, or some gasoline and  a long camp lighter will get a tire back on the bead for you, lickity split.:)

Remember to remove the valve stem core first.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Parrformance,

This is not a criticism aimed at you, but this method ranks up there with rednecks having a couple of six packs and then saying “watch this”.  The only place it should have any use would be in an extreme situation where there are no other options.  Saw this method used once on “Ice Road Truckers” and it worked. However, can’t find the video now, but one guy blew up his tire and burned up his huge John Deer tractor trying this little trick in the field, probably $100k experiment.  You’re basically just making a bomb.  Think I’ll stick with roadside assistance.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

First, a reply to the topic- Call the local garage for your particular engine type, and ask what goes bad the most. Mine is an N14, I carry a engine position sensor besides the usual belts. If you really want the straight poop, buy a box of donuts & go there, ask to sit w/ the mechanics on break, PRICELESS!

On a second note- small noisy dogs were created in God's wisdom as a "food species" for real dogs. Cats were created as a "food species" for certain ethnic restaurants.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

16 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

I stand by my post to the thread from last year, with the addition of food for the German Shepherd....

You are missing diarrhea medicine for the German Shepherds, all 4 of mine have had a case of the Hershey Squirts in the last 4 weeks. Nothing better than waking up to the smell of Feces and fresh coffee. The coffee opens your nose and the smell of fresh dog $h!t comes in much more easily.

Later,

Vegas Teacher

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Parrformance,

This is not a criticism aimed at you, but this method ranks up there with rednecks having a couple of six packs and then saying “watch this”.  The only place it should have any use would be in an extreme situation where there are no other options.  Saw this method used once on “Ice Road Truckers” and it worked. However, can’t find the video now, but one guy blew up his tire and burned up his huge John Deer tractor trying this little trick in the field, probably $100k experiment.  You’re basically just making a bomb.  Think I’ll stick with roadside assistance.

X2.  There are safe ways to do it.  Granted, there can be extreme cases where "tricks" are necessary, but not often.

Little brother offered to help me change a small tractor tire recently (only 4' tall).  When the beads were too far from the rim to inflate, he wanted to do the ether thing.  I refused, and showed him how to use tire mounting soap to safely achieve the same result, with no drama. 

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Archived