HomeSweetRV

Was just reading the school shootings thread when it was shut down for comments. 

Anyone have any idea why? Other than it creates polarization, but hey, "everyone is entitled to his own stupid opinion ".  I learned a bit there about people's ideas anyways. 

First time the cheeseburger danger didn't arise. 🤗

I saw disagreements, but nothing disrespectful. 

Good grief! 

?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Free speech only applies to public places not private places like homes and vehicles etc. It chains the government not the individual. Private places are like here on the SKP forums. Any website has user rules and TOS (Terms of Service) Read them here and they are pretty clear. We have discussed guns here many times without getting shut down, but we also respected each other here more on and offline than in many places.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Often we are given a lot of leeway but someone has to make a judgement be it right or wrong. I know I have got too close to the line in my comments on occaision. So far the worst I have recieved is a couple of heads up PM' from one of the weekend moderators who is no longer with us. In retrospect I could see his point.  I think a comment is deemed too strong or offensive it is deleted by the moderator.  I have made a few reports over about 15 years. One was flaggrant and a no brainer as a fairly new person told someone  to F   off. That one disapeared quick.

Like rv said there have been many gun discussions that were never shut down but that topic can go astray easily at times.

53 minutes ago, HomeSweetRV said:

Read it and tell me if you think the discussion  'went astray'.

I can't see it.  Just trying to find the sore spot. 

You dont see the last post on the thread as a personal attack on me, and everyone else who would disagree the posters opinion?  I was disappointed that admin locked the thread and let the last post stand, with no chance for me to defend myself.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

I suppose that depends on how you look at it. I agree with your paradigm. However that was someone who has different paradigm completely due to his life experience. This is exactly why we have different opinions, according to our own history.  So, I can see how you might have taken it personally, but I don't see a personal attack on you, just an expla action of why his paradigm is different from ours.  In the end, I read this.  It is just my mindset and after being a public servant from the age of 17 to 58.   so therein lies the disclaimer to personal attack. That's how I see it anyways.  I think the moderator was working in the realm of prevention. 

1 minute ago, HomeSweetRV said:

I suppose that depends on how you look at it. I agree with your paradigm. However that was someone who has different paradigm completely due to his life experience. This is exactly why we have different opinions, according to our own history.  So, I can see how you might have taken it personally, but I don't see a personal attack on you, just an expla action of why his paradigm is different from ours.  In the end, I read this.  It is just my mindset and after being a public servant from the age of 17 to 58.   so therein lies the disclaimer to personal attack. That's how I see it anyways.  I think the moderator was working in the realm of prevention. 

Yes, preventing me from defending myself in the thread.  So had I said my view of people who are NRA members is that all of them are paranoid schizophrenics, and that then in my experience they usually beat their wives and girlfriends, no one should or would take that personally, even in direct response to an individual post with whom I disagree?  This would be quite a forum if that was allowed.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Hmm, that does sound accusational, broad brush opinion, a generalization in the least. I just happen to know that nobody can make me feel anything without my permission, that what others say about me says more about them than me, and I have a checkpoint before speaking...is it true? is it kind? And the hardest one to discern, is it necessary? I also always consider the source of the information. I respond to personal attacks without bringing myself to their level of abusive language, or bullying back. It's just somebody's opinion after all. Doesn't make it your truth. 

Peace 

3 hours ago, pjstough said:

True, and there are ways to disagree without being disagrreable.

True this! However on today's polarized society it is becoming difficult and the rules for the forum do clearly state that political discussions are not allowed. This is an RV forum and there are many other places that are better suited to political discussions, Face Book, for example. My two cents. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

3 hours ago, HomeSweetRV said:

I just happen to know that nobody can make me feel anything without my permission, that what others say about me says more about them than me, and I have a checkpoint before speaking...is it true? is it kind? And the hardest one to discern, is it necessary?

Very well said.  I look at it the same way.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

18 hours ago, HomeSweetRV said:

Free speech like every right, comes with responsibility.

Always someone judging with their own bias though. 

You need to understand that this forum is the property of the host company, just as is true for all free internet forums that I know of. As such the owners have every right to make and to enforce rules. They also have the right to control who posts here. 

If you have not done so, you should go to the top of the page and click on the tab "guidelines" and read it. Just like the groups AAA & Good Sam, this is not a pure club but a private, for-profit business. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

20 hours ago, pjstough said:

Yes, preventing me from defending myself in the thread.  So had I said my view of people who are NRA members is that all of them are paranoid schizophrenics, and that then in my experience they usually beat their wives and girlfriends, no one should or would take that personally, even in direct response to an individual post with whom I disagree?  This would be quite a forum if that was allowed.

Take offense? Yes. Take it personally? No. 

15 hours ago, Chalkie said:

True this! However on today's polarized society it is becoming difficult and the rules for the forum do clearly state that political discussions are not allowed. This is an RV forum and there are many other places that are better suited to political discussions, Face Book, for example. My two cents. 

I hear ya. This other topics space is related to the site, for rvers to discuss things other than rving. Still a part of our world that affects us, especially those travelling from other cohntries.   the topic was school shootings, which also involves guns, so we mustn't talk about that because we cannot all agree.  People are polarized because they are more interested in being heard, than hearing others. Seek first to understand, then to be understood. Learn a lot that way.  It still amazes me though, how the 'elders talk about the younger generation and all the problems they present, while I watch how they talk to and treat each other. Forum moderators are kinds of like the police in crime prevention. If you cannot police yourself, we will do it for you.  That way, nobody gets hurt.  

15 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Nothing anyone says on these forums is "necessary".  It's just human nature to want to share one's thoughts. 

Really? I think if you go to the other sections you will see lots of necessary answers to questions posed by fellow RVers.  But this is a perfect example of how people see things differently...one thinks it's necessary, another doesn't. Hence, the hardest to discern. It's necessary I say it, not necessary you hear it. Scroll on..... 

1 hour ago, HomeSweetRV said:

People are polarized because they are more interested in being heard, than hearing others.

Very true. Our world seems more and more to be dominated by the more radical thinkers of any opinion on most subjects. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

on varied fourms, i have had my input  removed.

yes at times i can get a bit rougth.

i am of my own mind. march to the  beat in my head. and listen to the voices in my head. ( couple might even be real 😱).

but in the end all web sites are privet and subject to tos.

and at times the whimes of said mods.

thread gets shit down, you input removed. banned. ??.

just a way of life.

53 minutes ago, packnrat said:

on varied fourms, i have had my input  removed.

but in the end all web sites are privet and subject to tos.

and at times the whimes of said mods.

thread gets shit down, you input removed. banned. ??.

Looks like they need better censorship here LOL.  No, that wasn't necessary at all . Just had to say something 🤣 na, just had something to say 😉

Archived