ATT cracking down on Mobley?

Saw a post on another forum that ATT was cracking down, like in cancelling, accounts where the Mobley SIM card is used in a router or amplifier.  Don’t have any confirmation, this is just a heads up.

John

2015 Entegra Aspire 44B diesel pusher with 2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad
Web site, albums, blog and more here

If it "is" happening I wonder how much of it is actually being done simply due to a person using their sim in an alternate hotspot device and how much of it is being done due to data/connection abuse and they are using the alternate hotspot device simply as a TOS violation excuse to cancel accounts of such. That's kind of thin though since the TOS has been examined time and time again and found to not exclude the sim being used in an alternate hotspot device.

Doesn't really matter though if ATT decides it does. People always seem to require a reason why. A loosely interpreted TOS violation seems more reasonable than, "Data Abuser! We caught you!!!" :lol: Good thing I'm not in charge of that stuff. If I were asked, "why did you cancel my account with absolutely no reason or warning??". I would likely reply, "You know what you did. Go think about it." ;)

Whatcha gonna do? Take em to court for interpreting their own TOS in their favor?

Sadly, if something "can" be abused it will be... and the greater majority will suffer for the actions of the few.

As for the rumors... hear all, believe none... but keep your fat out of the fire.

4 hours ago, Yarome said:

If it "is" happening I wonder how much of it is actually being done simply due to a person using their sim in an alternate hotspot device and how much of it is being done due to data/connection abuse and they are using the alternate hotspot device simply as a TOS violation excuse to cancel accounts of such. That's kind of thin though since the TOS has been examined time and time again and found to not exclude the sim being used in an alternate hotspot device.

Doesn't really matter though if ATT decides it does. People always seem to require a reason why. A loosely interpreted TOS violation seems more reasonable than, "Data Abuser! We caught you!!!" :lol: Good thing I'm not in charge of that stuff. If I were asked, "why did you cancel my account with absolutely no reason or warning??". I would likely reply, "You know what you did. Go think about it." ;)

Whatcha gonna do? Take em to court for interpreting their own TOS in their favor?

Sadly, if something "can" be abused it will be... and the greater majority will suffer for the few.

As for the rumors... hear all, believe none... but keep your fat out of the fire.

Agree, something like camping at Walmart for days on end with your slides and bbq out, and being upset when they ask you to leave..........

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Why not just get an access point device.  It will pick up the signal from the Mobley and create another wifi hotspot for your use.  Then all you have to worry about it data usage.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

21 minutes ago, edatlanta said:

Why not just get an access point device.  It will pick up the signal from the Mobley and create another wifi hotspot for your use.  Then all you have to worry about it data usage.

Because the Mobley is a slug compared to most hotspots like Velocity and Explore which both have carrier aggregation.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

10 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

Because the Mobley is a slug compared to most hotspots like Velocity and Explore which both have carrier aggregation.

I find the Mobley speeds do the job and I don't have to worry about AT&T shutting me down.  I have been getting 8 to 16.0 down most places through my router.  My AT&T tablet, with its own data plan, sometimes tests higher, up to 97.80, but many places it is in the same range as the Mobley.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

50 minutes ago, Bill Joyce said:

I find the Mobley speeds do the job and I don't have to worry about AT&T shutting me down.  I have been getting 8 to 16.0 down most places through my router.  My AT&T tablet, with its own data plan, sometimes tests higher, up to 97.80, but many places it is in the same range as the Mobley.  

I agree, sometimes the Mobley is adequate.  I was just answering the question as it was presented by edatlanta.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

• 4 weeks later...

Worth every penny of the $22.01 a month I pay.
Month ended yesterday and only used 18GB even after using FB videos and a few youtube.

Right now My Speed :: 8.3 Mbps

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wanted to bring this thread back up to see if anyone has been using their Mobley SIM card in a hotspot and has had any issues with AT&T about it. Our Mobley went bad last week and I have not been able to find a replacement so I swapped the card to our hotspot so we continued to have service. We have never gone over 25GB per month so I am hoping for the best. If anyone ever comes across a Mobley at a fair price please let me know. 

2017 Chevy 3500 C/C D/A 4X4 DRW LWB

2017 Chevy 1500 C/C
2016 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

7 hours ago, Hunter11 said:

Wanted to bring this thread back up to see if anyone has been using their Mobley SIM card in a hotspot and has had any issues with AT&T about it. Our Mobley went bad last week and I have not been able to find a replacement so I swapped the card to our hotspot so we continued to have service. We have never gone over 25GB per month so I am hoping for the best. If anyone ever comes across a Mobley at a fair price please let me know. 

I would watch Ebay and keep calling AT&T to see if they get one.

In the meantime let us know if AT&T takes any action.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I have not called AT&T about it. Not sure I want to at this point. I did not buy the Mobley we have from them and we are not on a 2 year contract with the $20 a month unlimited plan. 

2017 Chevy 1500 C/C

I called AT&T some time ago and asked if it was permissible to use the Mobley SIM in a Unite hotspot so a diagnostics device could be used in the OBD2 socket. They said as long as the SIM was in a hotspot and not a phone, it was fine. When the rumors started about an alleged crackdown on Mobley SIM swapping, I did switch back out of an abundance of caution, but I've seen nothing on any of the cell and RV forums from anyone that was shut down or even warned about the swap, except a couple of reports where the SIM was used in a phone.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Dutch, thank you very much for that bit of information. That makes me feel a little better about using the hotspot now that we have lost the Mobley. 

2017 Chevy 1500 C/C

When the warnings came out, I went back to my Mobley for a bit, but I really liked the Unite Explore so much better so went back to it, plus I manage to secure 2 hotspots on the unlimited plus before they took those away so I didn't mind as much risking it. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

6 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I called AT&T some time ago and asked if it was permissible to use the Mobley SIM in a Unite hotspot so a diagnostics device could be used in the OBD2 socket. They said as long as the SIM was in a hotspot and not a phone, it was fine. When the rumors started about an alleged crackdown on Mobley SIM swapping, I did switch back out of an abundance of caution, but I've seen nothing on any of the cell and RV forums from anyone that was shut down or even warned about the swap, except a couple of reports where the SIM was used in a phone.

I called them also and was told the same thing. I kept the transcript.  But I also put it back in to the Mobley.  

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

I also called them and asked that specific question as well. And looking at their terms of service it did not seem to be a violation to me. They said that as long as it was not in a phone it was OK.  That could, of course, change - frankly all the providers seem to do pretty much as they please.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived