Do not want to mess up my sister-in-law’s DTV account

I want to get a HD DVR for the 5th wheel for times when there is no internet.  Question is which one and how to do it?  Lease or buy?  Unlike many there will be times when the home setup will also be in use.  Current equipment is a HR54-500 and a C51-100.  Is it possible to add a DVR receiver for purpose stated?

Later, J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

Technically that is account stacking, using the service is two locations at the same ime, and not allowed.

Taking a unit from the house to the RV assumes that only one location is using the service at a time.

Hard for DirecTV to determined but it is a violation of the contract.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

J, Probably thousands of folks are doing this all the time. It is getting very difficult to buy and activate DirecTV equipment anymore. Even receivers that you buy from places online like Solid Signal will state that the equipment remains the property of DirecTV even though you have paid for it. AND you will still pay a monthly fee to DirecTV. Unless you call DirecTV and report the location of each receiver,  DirecTV has no way to determine where that receiver is located or being used. And as long as they collect their monthly bill, I doubt they will care. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

So you are wanting to add another DVR receiver to your sister in laws account?  I believe the HR-54 is a "genie", and I also believe that DirecTV only allows one "genie" per account, so you may be able to add another receiver to her account for your use, but it cant be a "genie"  Also, you will not be able to get local channels, unless you stay within the footprint of the spot beam of the location she uses for her service address.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Yes the sister-in-law's account.  We winter there. Have no idea what local channels are so don't think I would miss them.  Which model HD DVR's are not Genie's?  Hope to record from more than one channel (if need be) at the same time.  

Later, J

13 minutes ago, KodiakJack said:

Which model HD DVR's are not Genie's? 

The HR24 was the last "pre-Genie" DVR.  It should work well for your purposes.  HR24

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

1 hour ago, KodiakJack said:

Have no idea what local channels are

Local channels are the network channels -- ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC.

Your SIL gets the local channels based on where she lives (for instance, if she lives in Phoenix, her local channels would come from the Phoenix market).  YOU can watch the Phoenix local channels (as an example) as long as you're in the same spot beam area as your SIL, which is *generally* around a 200-mile radius (some are bigger). 

Once you leave that spot beam area, you would lose those locals.  You can, of course (depending on where you are) pick up the locals with your over-the-air antenna. 

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Enlightening.  Local channels are "network" channels.  Not familiar with what's available on those so I will look into them before I jump.  Will post another topic with Dish questions since it seems pretty well liked. Thanks Linda. 

Later, J

Archived