IOS vs. Android Apps

SWharton

Can someone explain why people develop an IOS app without developing an Android app? I just read some statistics that 81% of users are Android, 18% are IOS . Why do they develop first for the lesser used system? Puzzled from a business viewpoint.

43 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Can someone explain why people develop an IOS app without developing an Android app? I just read some statistics that 81% of users are Android, 18% are IOS . Why do they develop first for the lesser used system? Puzzled from a business viewpoint.

Same reason some developers do android and not IOS.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

On 3/8/2018 at 7:42 PM, SWharton said:
  • You would think that with the ownership discrepency good old capitalism would rule.I seem to find numerous apps that I would like to use and they are only for IOS, frustrating. I will not buy and IOS phone!

You can see Here that there are a half million more android apps than IOS.  Hundreds of thousands of these apps are written by individuals to meet a need they had or for a specific usage group.  These individuals may or may not be skilled in both IOS and android.

Just today I saw where a local restaurant owner wrote an android app which catalogues local eateries and their menus.  Very limited number will be served by this app.  I'm sure there are some who wish it was also available in IOS.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

i have the S7 an plenty of apps. an i also agree why do an app for just one os. I know ppl that has android an went to iphone an curse them selfs every day.  Could be a reason why some top carriers off a buy one get one on iphone.  hard to even give them away. 

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

I agree there are plenty of apps for Android and I am not talking about a one-off app. I am talking about businesses and the development of an app to support their business and only develop one app being IOS and not having a similar app for Android. I realize app development is time consuming and maintenance can be time consuming also but as a business person I would go after the larger population initially.

1 hour ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

There you go, the dilemma, to go with the biggest base or the biggest snob appeal.

Exactly! Outside of the fact that they are very different OS's, the Apple has snob appeal and therefore a smaller (but more rabid ;)) following.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

While there is only one IOS, there are at least 3 Androids. Samsung, Amazon and Googles? 

Having 3 of 4,  IPad, Fire, Samsung, I can say that even my limited apps will work slightly differently on all 3. 

Throw in all the different program languages, and maybe some work better on a specific tablet. 

I don't think it is the brand but the vendor who limits what an app can do. My daughter and I each bought Samsung Galaxy 7. I bought and unlocked one on the ATT network and went with Cricket, she bought a T-Mobile one from T-Moble. They are several differences between  the 2. We both have the same operating system etc.

3 hours ago, SWharton said:

I don't think it is the brand but the vendor who limits what an app can do. My daughter and I each bought Samsung Galaxy 7. I bought and unlocked one on the ATT network and went with Cricket, she bought a T-Mobile one from T-Moble. They are several differences between  the 2. We both have the same operating system etc.

But when it comes to apps, both will run the same apps if they come from the Google Play Store.

12 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Exactly! Outside of the fact that they are very different OS's, the Apple has snob appeal and therefore a smaller (but more rabid ;)) following.

I might resemble that remark. :D

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Guess the snob appeal Apple users didn't get the memo! Jobs went to all Windows Intel hardware on the Apple Macs, and the chipsets for their phones and tablets are made in part by Samsung, who makes Android phones.

Windows tablets are as small and much bigger than Apple tablets and Windows tablets do the desktop Windows as well as apps, as do our desktops. Apple tablets can't run the OSX their Macs do, and their Macs don't have touch screens to run the same Apps as their own phones. Apple has slowed down on their computer refreshes to the point they are losing some of their 5-8% world market share and their phones are not even keeping up with the popularity of Android. They are fast going the way of the Windows phones if they don't find another front man to make image decisions, because their hardware is stock like every other PC. Windows is showing their chops and Apple is losing theirs. Nothing unique about anything Apple. Nothing worth me sneering back at any Apple users. Like everywhere online we do have a couple of people here on the forums with their egos on their sleeves, and no handkerchiefs.

;)

Yep, they didn't get the memo.

Even in the real world glamour is out, function is in. Smart is not proprietary, all smart home gadgets that succeed work with each other. Like WiFi and Bluetooth.

When one says snob I think this:

199638_10150114348531755_6484334_n.jpg

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

41 minutes ago, RV_ said:

Guess the snob appeal Apple users didn't get the memo! Jobs went to all Windows Intel hardware on the Apple Macs, and the chipsets for their phones and tablets are made in part by Samsung, who makes Android phones.

A chip is a chip whether Qualcom or Intel. An operating system can be designed around a chip architecture and still be completely different from one another. For example, Linux can run on the x86 architecture as easily as Mac OS or Windows. Apple went to the x86 chipset for economic expediency, they were simply cheaper than the proprietary chips used earlier. It was good business on their  part as it was cheaper to rearrange the OS than it was to continue to try to develop and produce their own chips. 

And yes, I still think there is a snob factor with Apple products and it has nothing to do with chips inside.

There has been a snob appeal to Apple products. Well-founded, IMO, at the start. The Apple products hardware was better, and the software user interface and available apps were better. All that is long in the past now.  What has still been better up until recently was their advertising. Their advertising has been oriented to high-end exclusivity. And Android and Windows had little relevant advertising. Again, all in the past. Example: the latest Samsung ads are every bit as innovative as the original Apple ads.

Apple makes a nice phone. So does Samsung and LG. I prefer the Google ecosystem since I believe that for ME, I get more, and it is easy to use and integrates more USEFUL daily tools into it, and also supports my work needs. Apple does not do that for me.  Just my opinion about MY needs. But I've used them all, extensively, and that is where I've ended.  I still have some iPads, but they are dedicated-function devices.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived