Another Insurance Question

Twotoes

I have used Miller Insurance in OR for many years. They have me with Nationwide. Just got my annual 12 month renewal and was shocked at the rate. $3,844 for a full time RV plus $1,383 for the Jeep and $421 for the Harley. $5,648 total.  Called around and got a quote from Geico $1,153 for the RV and Jeep together but for 6 months and $184 for a 12 month policy on the Harley. That would be $2,490 for the year. All three vehicles less than the RV alone ($3,844) with Nationwide. What am I missing? This should be a no brainer. Does anyone have Geico and can tell me about their customer service and/or claims service. I’m ready to make a change. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Are your vehicle registered in TX? That is the problem. We registered our vehicles in TX, went to change our insurance(Nationwide) and for 2 vehicles(no RV), they wanted $2200(around that). We called USAA and the cost dropped to $700. These are 6 month quotes.

2 thoughts: Nationwide wants to get out of TX or they were hit very hard by Harvey and are spreading the cost across the entire state.

The MH, still with Nationwide, only went up $400 for a year.

I've used Miller for several years and never shopped around until FMCA opened their insurance site (https://www.fmcarvinsurance.com/).

FMCA quoted Progressive rates which were much less than Miller's National quotes.

I've liked using Miller, and had them re-quote. Since I came "armed" with competitive FMCA quotes, Miller came up with slightly better policies. However, my Miller take-away is that if I hadn't asked, they would not have looked at other carriers. 

Competition is good.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

I am not registered in TX. I use the Escapees South Dakota address. Miller has me with Nationwide because I have rental property in Calif and National General won’t write a policy on the rentals. I just joined FMCA and got a quote from them but they were even more than Nationwide. I am looking for reviews on Geico and considering switching to them. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

12 hours ago, Twotoes said:

I am looking for reviews on Geico and considering switching to them. 

Are you sure that the policy coverages at the same? I would be very careful of that issue. Also, did you call Miller to talk about the renewal prices? That bill usually comes directly from the insurance underwriter and Miller may not be aware of the big increase.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes both policies are for identical coverage. I did call Miller first before I called Geico. Miller was supposed to call me back with some new quotes but they have not yet. May still be working on it. I’ll call Miller again on Monday before I call Geico back to make the change. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

13 hours ago, SWharton said:

Maybe I am missing something but what do you rentals have to do with your RV insurance? Everything doesn't need to be on the same policy.

I have an umbrella policy too and it is better to have all policies with the same company under the umbrella. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

16 hours ago, SWharton said:

Maybe time to take a different approach...................

And what different approach should I take. Miller told me that in order to have the umbrella policy I need to have all policies with the same insurance company. RV, Jeep, Harley, rentals and umbrella. Or at least that is what Nationwide is saying. So to get back to my original post I am only looking for reviews of Geico customer service and claims service. Thanks. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

Our umbrella policy with Nationwide covers everything, no matter who insures it as long as we meet the liability $$$ amounts. Maybe do 1 item with Nationwide + umbrella and insure everything else with a different insurer.

I would also contact Nationwide to verify what Miller is saying.

I thought of that. I wanted to keep the rentals and umbrella with Nationwide and just switch the RV, Jeep and Harley to Geico but Miller said Nationwide won’t write the umbrella unless they insure the vehicles too 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

On 3/8/2018 at 12:45 PM, Twotoes said:

What am I missing? This should be a no brainer. Does anyone have Geico and can tell me about their customer service and/or claims service. I’m ready to make a change. 

Did you look at the breakdown of Geico's coverage?  When I got a quote for fulltimer insurance from Geico a year ago, it didn't include the personal liability portion like you get with homeowner's insurance.  And note that umbrella policies only increase coverages you already have--if there's no personal liability portion in a Geico policy, the umbrella isn't going to "create" it.

Geico said it was fulltimer coverage because it covers the RV 365 days a year and covers personal effects.  I countered that it's not because it doesn't have the personal liability coverage, and he said it is because it covers the RV 365 days a year and covers personal effects.  Stalemate.

Now, you're in South Dakota and I'm in Texas, and the Geico representative told me they had the liability coverage in every state except Texas, but after thinking about it, I'm not confident he was telling the truth.  It makes no sense that other companies can offer that bit of coverage in Texas but Geico can't, plus I recall that later, someone from another state said their Geico fulltimer quote didn't include the personal liability portion. 

So if dealing with Geico, get a detailed breakdown of the coverages to make sure everything you need is in there.  The only reason I even noticed was because I have a spreadsheet where I enter each element of each quote, and noticed there was a blank cell for Geico on fulltimer liability. 

Here's a link to my previous post about it:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/126436-warning-geico-is-not-fulltime-insurance-in-texas/

If it turns out that Geico does offer the fulltimer personal liability portion in South Dakota, please post that here.  That won't prove that Texas is truly the only exception, but it would tell me that they offer it somewhere

On 3/8/2018 at 4:00 PM, GlennWest said:

We have Miller and are registered in Texas. We got National General. Rates very good. Call and talk to them.

X2.  Just received my renewal notice from Miller/National General.  No increase.  Obviously, pleased with the quote.  I would give them an opportunity for your business.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

5 hours ago, Aggie79-82a said:

X2.  Just received my renewal notice from Miller/National General.  No increase.  Obviously, pleased with the quote.  I would give them an opportunity for your business.

Just received my renewal notice from Good Sam/National General.  For 6 months.
MH + $12 Toad + $30 :(

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Ok so here is what I have found out. Geico does offer full timer coverage. At least on policies in South Dakota. I know because in order to get the Umbrella policy I had to have $300,000 personal liability coverage in addition to my $250/500 Bodily Injury and $20,000 Personal Property coverage on my RV and Jeep to qualify for the Umbrella policy.  Also SD requires a minimum of 100/300 Uninsured coverage, but I got 250/500 to match my BI. I saved $1,850 going with Geico over Nationwide on the RV, Jeep, Harley, 3 rentals and the Umbrella. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

Thanks for reporting back.  I'm still suspicious about Geico's claim that Texas is the only state where they can't offer the personal liability portion for fulltimers, but since South Dakota has a lot of fulltlimers, that's good news for them.

Archived