Would you mind verifying this Dish setup will work in a 5er?

I have read many threads about Dish.  From what I have gleaned, the various wants/needs can be confusing.  I have a 5er, so now viewing while we are moving.  I do not want a roof mounted system incase we park under trees.  I avoid trees, but it is not always up to me.

What I want is a system that will show different programs on 2 TVs (livingroom and bedroom) as well as record programs whether we are watching tv or not.  I "think" a wireless Joey in the bedroom is the easiest way to get tv there.  Might even be able to take the Joey outside if we ever want to watch there, but we rarely use the outside tv.

What I think I need is;

The latest and greatest Hopper for the livingroom and a wireless Joey for the bedroom

DPP 1000.4 with LNBFs for both the eastern and western arcs

Hybrid Solo hub

The TV4RV HD tripod

Sat Buddy sat finder if I can find one.

Am I missing anything?  Do I need something to send the programming from the Hopper to the Joey, or is that capability already built in to those devices?

It looks like you've pretty well covered it. I would add a good augmented reality sat finder app for your smartphone though, so you can make sure you have a clear sat view before setting up. I use the "DishPointer" app from the fellow that created DishPointer.com. It's not cheap at $20, but I've found it to have better accuracy than any of the free apps I've tried. Oh, and I carry 200' (4x50') of RG-6 coax and have needed all of it on occasion to reach a clear view. 

Compare these two views from the same location using the DishPointer app:

vIx3u6sl.jpg

nHLE7RYl.jpg

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

You are pretty close but the DPP 1000.4 dish does not have Hybrid LNBFs needed for the Hopper 3.  Either you have to use a DPP 1000.2 with Hybrid WA and EA LNBFs or use a DPP 1000.4 with WA and EA regular LNBF and a DPH42 switch to provide the Hybrid function.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

7 minutes ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

You are pretty close but the DPP 1000.4 dish does not have Hybrid LNBFs needed for the Hopper 3.  Either you have to use a DPP 1000.2 with Hybrid WA and EA LNBFs or use a DPP 1000.4 with WA and EA regular LNBF and a DPH42 switch to provide the Hybrid function.

In your experience/opinion, which method is more effective?  Which method is easier to setup?  Or are they so close it doesn't matter?

I've read the 1000.4 is better for RVers because it has a bit more adjustability built in, versus having to get mods for the 1000.2.  Though once the 1000.2 is modified, it is done.

In regard to DishPointer app.  Nice picture but virtually impossible to get a view that dish has, the focal point of the dish.  I use the DishPointer app to get the large picture for trees that can be a problem.  But when trying to get through a tight hole, the offset from where you are looking at the smartphone than the dish focal point is too much.

I am lucky to have an Align-A-Site periscope which makes aiming a whole lot easier.  It is no longer manufactured.  The closest thing is the Satellite Dish Aiming Scope, also from TV4RV.com

The Sat Buddy 29 is pricey but is the only meter that works with Hybrid LNBF units and it is great for selecting the proper satellite you are aiming for.

We have a Winegard Trav'ler for most of satellite viewing.  For the couple of times a year we have trees or buildings in the way, we use the ground tripod.   We also use the ground tripod when we are in the East using the EA satellites.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

DPP 1000.4 versus the DPP 1000.2 .  The apparent benefits of the DPP 1000.4 is the larger reflector, and screw adjustment for Elevation and Skew.

The larger reflector also means a bigger dish to store.  The arm assembly is also larger.  The benefit doesn't seem to have an importance to Dish as the DPP 1000.4 was first rolled out with the introduction of the EA satellites.  But evolution has gone back to Dish using the DPP 1000.2 for either arc.

For 4 years we exclusively use the tripod and have still used the tripod when needed.  In 12 years of setting up the tripod, we have never had to tweak the Skew, so a screw adjustment is a non-issue to me. 

A screw adjustment for Elevation is a big thing.  But again, TV4RV.com has a kit for modifying a DPP 1000.2 to have screw adjustment.  A must have addition.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

If you're using a Hopper 3, then you really have two ways to go:

• If you use a Winegard Travler, then use the Travler's standard DPP (Dish Pro Plus) LNBF with a DPH42 switch.
  • For a portable dish, use a 1000.2 with a DPH (Dish Pro Hybrid) LNBF. That way you only need to run a single coax back to your RV.

While you could use a 1000.4 (or 1000+) on a tripod, you would either have to run 3 (or 4) coax lines back to a DPH42 in your RV. Or, you could put a DPH42 on your tripod and run a single powered coax to your RV -- hoping you don't get line voltage loss enough to disable the DPH42.

dph42_winegard-travler_one_hopper3_two_j

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Thanks.

The 1000.2 with a DPH for both the EA and WA seems to be the way I'm going to do it.

I remember some threads about signing up for Dish and getting some equipment for free versus buying the equipment.  Once I have my final equipment list, I'll see what type of deal Dish is offering.  I know I need to buy the TV4RV tripod.  

On 3/6/2018 at 4:52 PM, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

In regard to DishPointer app.  Nice picture but virtually impossible to get a view that dish has, the focal point of the dish.  I use the DishPointer app to get the large picture for trees that can be a problem.  But when trying to get through a tight hole, the offset from where you are looking at the smartphone than the dish focal point is too much.

All I do is bend down a bit to get a more precise view from where the dish focal point will be. With the dish set up, I can also stand in front of it to place the phone in the focal point plane.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Archived