Escapees - World War II

Yarome

You made me go look for that. It appears that it was written by Escapees members. I think it is great that server space is being provided for this as that portion of our history is slowly but surely being forgotten. Another thought comes to mind, that the Petersons would have been adults and lived through WWII.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

27 minutes ago, Yarome said:

Curious as to why our Escapees RV Club website has a World War II anthology section and how that relates to RV'ing...

Is there some reason that they shouldn't have it there? It may be related that they also give a veteran's discount on things. If you really want to know how it came to be, this comes from the booklet.Janice Lasko was the editor of Escapees Magazine for many years. 

What does the Grand Teton Music Festival have to do with World War II? Chuck and Betty Mulcahy invited Gabby, and Janice Lasko to join them in the Grand Tetons in Wyoming to experience the Music Festival during the summer of 2004. Because the Mulcahys’ two adult children, who are both symphony musicians, perform with the festival orchestra, Chuck and Betty have attended these concerts for years. With the approach of the Fourth of July holiday, the conversations roamed from RVing to patriotism before narrowing to Gabby’s World War II service. Patriotic symbols throughout the campground reminded us that these veterans are disappearing at an alarming rate, and we discussed the need to record as many Escapees World War II experiences as we could accumulate. Betty interviewed Gabby to write a story that appeared in the January/February 2005 issue of Escapees magazine to encourage others to share their experiences. From there, we developed this historical anthology of our members and people they know.

For anyone who has not read this collection of stories but would like to do so, you can download a copy of the compiled stories by going to World War II An Escapees Anthology.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

47 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

Is there some reason that they shouldn't have it there?

Other than it has nothing to do with RV's, RV related services/information or the RV lifestyle? I appreciate patriotism and the sacrifices of our service men, women and their families... past or present, but just as political, religious or commercial enterprise discussion is inappropriate, I don't believe an RV club is an appropriate platform for other non related content, no matter how dearly held by some.

That may also seem to open up what "else" should or shouldn't be allowed, simply because it comes from an Escapees club member/s... and who exactly get's to make that decision. That can lead to some pretty shaky ground.

It's not that I disapprove of the content in any way shape or form. I simply question the appropriateness of presenting it on an RV club platform.

That's all I have to say on it. 

Why not?  How about Viet Nam and Korea.  Volunteer and drafted military are to be honored.  They have similar things to talk about, a lot in common.  Some things that some of us couldn't even related to.

Skp #98641
2018 Ram 3500 Heavy Duty Laramie CC DRW LB
2018 Durango Gold 380FLF 5th Wheel
My Email

Archived