Windows 10 now allows you to make your ethernet connection as Metered

One of the latest updates to Windows 10 add the ability to set your Ethernet connection to a Metered connection.  That allows you to prevent a lot of Windows Updates from happening over a wired connection.  Prior to this version update you had to edit the registry.   I have my windows 10 server connected to an Ethernet switch in my MH so I edited the registry to keep most of those updates from happening while traveling. 

This is not WiFi metering, that has been there for a long time.   Now when I get home I turn off that slider and let the updates run wild on my home's ISP. 

PS.  If you use WiFi on your win10 laptop you probably want to enable the metered connection so you aren't gobbling up a lot of bandwidth when you are trying to do something else with that bandwidth., like stream video or surf the web.  :)

MeteredEthernetSetting.thumb.JPG.7c2eb796266edcc6582d3aca876fbfd6.JPG

2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
Freightliner XCR, 400 hp Cummins
Toad 2014 Chevy Equinox (DWM)
Blog: http://cowlesmountain.com/Travels/

S&B San Diego

You can set each network (your cellphone connection or your home network connection, Etc) individually to or not to download updates over a metered connection . Thus when you connect at home, etc or any connection that is not limited it will update. This way you don't need to disable a metered connection when you get home. When you connect to your cellphone or what ever next time it still will not download updates.

Correct.  I only brought up Windows 10 since you can now mark "Ethernet"  (as in cabled network) metered, which was difficult prior to the recent update.  Now its just part of the GUI so anyone can do it very easily.

Most devices/OS's, including Windows 10 allowed WiFi to be marked as metered for some time now.  

2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP
Freightliner XCR, 400 hp Cummins
Toad 2014 Chevy Equinox (DWM)
Blog: http://cowlesmountain.com/Travels/

S&B San Diego

Archived