GM to bring back MDT’s

I may be behind the curve on this info but this is really exciting for me. I have been a GM guy since drag racing in the 70’s. 3 days befor the unveiling. If they don’t derate  the engine too much this is probably the way I will go.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/silverado/2019-chevrolet-silverado/2019-chevrolet-silverado-medium-duty-trucks/2019-chevrolet-silverado-4500/

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

Looks nice.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Why is it a shame? My last two duramax  engines were more than enough power and durability. As an RV’er I want the horsepower and torque the new motor produces. I am just looking for more reserve weight carrying capacity. My current dually is the perfect truck for me. It rides great empty or loaded, great mileage, super reliable and the interior amenities are fantastic. Just would like more GVW in a pickup configuration.

Tim & Cheryl

I didn't have that happen. My 2006 decent truck. Yes had problems but mostly dependable. My 2012 cost me jobs, hurt my income. Truck in shop can't travel to next job. It stayed in shop after 20k miles. It towed great when it was right. Just was not dependable. It also tough on fuel. My Detroit geats better mpg

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

2 hours ago, Tahoe Shark said:

Why is it a shame? My last two duramax  engines were more than enough power and durability.

If you do a search for lists of the best medium duty diesel engines, you will find many authors with many differing opinions. The other thing you will find is mostly inline engines. The V engines you find will be the Duramax, the 7.3 Powerstroke and maybe that VW V-10. The other thing you will notice is that those V engines are not in the top 5 on a 10 position list.

From the article:

Slot in the Class 4 and Class 5 medium duty segments and be called Silverado 4500 and Silverado 5500

Be “powerful, highly maneuverable, and among the easiest trucks on the market to upfit with specialized bodies, such as dump bodies, rollbacks, freight boxes and more”

Have you ever ridden in a dumptruck or a rollback wrecker? Yeah, you can put an RV toter bed on it and spend a ton of $$ to "upfit" it to a comfortable ride, but that's not what I wanna spend my money on. 

Good luck with it. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I’m glad you are happy with your HDT’s. I have a few friends I camp with that have them and they are impressive. If I didn’t live in California I would consider one. I still think this is great news for the RV community. It gives other options to Ram and Ford.

Tim & Cheryl

Even way back when gas engines we're straight 6, they were so dependable and lasted longer than the V engines on the market. I'm thinking 60s- 70s.  If GM continues with the MDT as they were in the past, they will be short lived. They were not a good choice. Derated power 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Howdy!

I had a 2005 Chevorlet Kodiak 5500 Hauler. I got burned when GM stopped making the MDT line including parts for them. I want ever go down that road again. On more GM products for me.

” Happy Trails”

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Not talking about MDT's, only pickups, but two duramax pickups, probably 250000 miles between them,  [both LBZ,s]  only problem was glow plugs.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

24 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

The MTD were low power. That's why people quit buying them. 

I can understand that, for a 7500 lb pickup, they were great. For 20000 lb+ rig, I would want a big displacement, big torque engine. 

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

A derated Durmax would be the death of it. 

Glenn, 

the class 4 &5 trucks from Ford and Ram are derated also. They derate for the commercial application. I don’t like that and have tried to get around it and that is a non starter with the manufacturer.

By the way the class 4 & 5 truck market is growing according to the commercial sales figures. Maybe that is why GM wants back in. If GM provides the consumer motor in Class 4 or 5 and it rides acceptably, or can be made to ride well like the Kelderman suspension it is a viable choice for heavy RV’s.

You don’t have to agree but please be respectful of others opinions. Not everyone wants an HDT like you have.

Tim & Cheryl

3 minutes ago, Tahoe Shark said:

Glenn, 

the class 4 &5 trucks from Ford and Ram are derated also. They derate for the commercial application. I don’t like that and have tried to get around it and that is a non starter with the manufacturer.

By the way the class 4 & 5 truck market is growing according to the commercial sales figures. Maybe that is why GM wants back in. If GM provides the consumer motor in Class 4 or 5 and it rides acceptably, or can be made to ride well like the Kelderman suspension it is a viable choice for heavy RV’s.

You don’t have to agree but please be respectful of others opinions. Not everyone wants an HDT like you have.

You must not have drove one of the GM MDT. They were weak. Yes, others derate but they are still respectable power wise. I got my HDT because of price of new 5500 trucks. Also don't want a 5500 for a daily commute. I hate payments. 

Don't want to do the truck size thing, but after having many motorhomes, I will look for one that the biggest hp and torque.  Hate it when a big semi passes me on the passes.

24 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

You must not have drove one of the GM MDT. They were weak. Yes, others derate but they are still respectable power wise. I got my HDT because of price of new 5500 trucks. Also don't want a 5500 for a daily commute. I hate payments. 

I really don’t care what 10 year old trucks did or how they performed. I am talking about a possible new truck that none of us know anything about until later this week. I don’t want a little car on a big truck to unload. You didn’t want a 5500, great, now we are even. Let’s wait until the specs are out. 

Tim & Cheryl

8 hours ago, jcussen said:

Not talking about MDT's, only pickups, but two duramax pickups, probably 250000 miles between them,  [both LBZ,s]  only problem was glow plugs.

I have a 2006 2500HD with the LBZ.  182,000 and counting.  Great engine and truck.  

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:09 AM, Tahoe Shark said:

I may be behind the curve on this info but this is really exciting for me. I have been a GM guy since drag racing in the 70’s. 3 days befor the unveiling. If they don’t derate  the engine too much this is probably the way I will go.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/silverado/2019-chevrolet-silverado/2019-chevrolet-silverado-medium-duty-trucks/2019-chevrolet-silverado-4500/

Worked for GM for 40yrs. Drag race a 1963 pontiac Tempest today. But I love my Ford with 800 ft. lbs. of torque at 1800 rpm. The new ones got 935 Ft. Lbs. Gets good mileage and rides beter than some cars. Its also the best looking on the truck on the planet. I also have a Peterbilt HTD with 1450 ft. lbs. @ 1400rpms for back up.  I always tell people-you want a great truck for light towing and going to grocery store get a chevy. You want a work truck  Get A Ford diesel. Even my old 6.0 (overnight brainstorm) with 205,000 only cost my about $300.00 in repairs. I think I was lucky though. 

I hope they do great. I just have no confidence in it. I looked hard at this market before I decided on the HDT.  A 5500 truck fitted to a hauler body, air hitch, air ride, approaching 100k. More money than I want to put in a truck. I only have roughly 32k in my HDT. 

Archived