Planning for the Plunge!

ericontheweb

Hi everyone!  I'm new to the site and have decided to take the plunge and am planning to go full time RVing in a year or two (saving up now).  After a long time of wanting to vagabond, I found Rving as a perfect way to do so.  I've decided on getting 5th Wheel 26-30' and 1 ton (maybe dually if possible) truck.  While this is still a long ways away, I want to be fully prepared for it.  

I've been looking at used fifth wheels and was wondering, how old should I go?  Do designs change much over the years?  For example, if I look at a newer model, how much different would it be from a model 5-6 years older?  I want to be sure electronics are up to date -but how important is that?  and how much is it to replace for newer stuff?  What should I be looking for, as far as the good and bad?  I'd consider myself somewhat handy, but only with some sort of instructions.  I'm probably overlooking a ton of stuff, but I'm sure you'll let me know :) 

Being used, I'd most likely want to renovate it to fit my needs and style.  I'm 36 and will be traveling solo (maybe with a dog), and am pretty sure on the size, assuming it would be more than enough for me.  

Aside from the vehicle and trailer, I'd like some input on ALL the other stuff that I should be preparing for, almost like a checklist of things to get done (and things I'll need to get after purchasing) before I even get a rig since it'll be some time before I can actually purchase.  I'm trying to avoid a loan as much as possible.  Any and all input (or sources of information) from you all would be HUGELY appreciated.   Thanks so much, and I look forward to connecting with you all in this community                 -Eric

First of all, let me welcome you to the Escapee forums! We are here to help and support you and we will do our very best to answer and assist whenever needed.

5 minutes ago, ericontheweb said:

I've decided on getting 5th Wheel 26-30' and 1 ton (maybe dually if possible) truck.

You probably do not need that much truck, although it is often said on the forums that it is difficult to have too much truck. Depending on the year and make you will find that there are very few fifth wheel trailers in the lengths you are looking for that could not be easily towed by most modern 3/4 ton trucks (250/2500)  I would suggest that a diesel 2500/250 will do very well for that size trailer and have ample extra abilities. The gasoline-powered trucks will do that also but a diesel will have better climbing power and lifespan and it will also get better fuel mileage. 

9 minutes ago, ericontheweb said:

've been looking at used fifth wheels and was wondering, how old should I go?

This is a very subjective question and a great deal plays to the care the used trailer has experienced and the quality level Trailers from different manufacturers range very widely in price and the reason is the quality of construction and the fit & finish of the interiors. Some of the higher quality trailers are still very usable after 20 years while others are in bad shape in 10 years or less. I suggest that before you make any move toward buying that you start visiting the different dealers and studying the models that each one sells and make a close comparison of the quality and the price of each one. Look closely at the spec sheets for each one paying close attention to the listed weights of each one since high-quality trailers nearly always weigh more than the lesser ones. Do not buy anything until you have examined as many as possible. If you find an RV show make sure to spend a lot of time there as it is a great place to be able to compare many different RVs of every type in one place. With spring coming on it is the season for RV shows. If you have no RV experience, I suggest that you take the time to study every type for RV as well as all brands, since you may even discover that a motorhome or some other type strikes your fancy even more than the fifth wheels you had in mind.

18 minutes ago, ericontheweb said:

I want to be sure electronics are up to date -but how important is that?  and how much is it to replace for newer stuff? 

A good way to check that out is to go online to some of the RV supply stores and look at the prices for replacement appliances and electronic devices. Remember that when in heavy use most RV appliances have a life of between 10 & 15 years. 

20 minutes ago, ericontheweb said:

Aside from the vehicle and trailer, I'd like some input on ALL the other stuff that I should be preparing for, almost like a checklist of things to get done (and things I'll need to get after purchasing) before I even get a rig since it'll be some time before I can actually purchase. 

Not only is there equipment you will need to use your chosen RV, there are things you will also need to do in order to make an RV your permanent home. One of the biggest items is finding a way to maintain a legal address where you can not only get mail but also use to license and insure your vehicles, hold a driver's license, and maintain health insurance. Most states do not accept mail forwarding services as a legal address and for that reason, along with savings on taxes and fees, most fulltime RV folks choose to make one of the states of Texas, Florida, or South Dakota as their home. You can read an explanation of the issues involved in choosing a place to call home, or domicile with this article

Feel free to ask questions, start new threads, or offern comments on any of our forums as much as you wish. We enjoy helping others to find their way into the lifestyle that we all love. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Wow that was fast! I was just browsing around and.... DING  You're the man Kirk!  

Yea I thought the truck might be overkill, but I was leaning toward safety and towing power, and I lean toward the "never too much truck" side of the argument. I know I'll be doing a bit of driving up and down mountains.  But I'll definitely consider smaller, and I'm leaning heavily toward diesel.  I don't know how necessary a dually is, but I can only imagine it makes stability much better.  Maybe not?

I do plan on hitting every RV show near me (Vegas) for more research, but I wanted to ask here for exactly the type of input you gave, thanks!  Any brands that you personally like better for what I have planned (I know its hard to say, but I love to hear recommendations)

I've definitely looked at domiciling a little, no one mentions NV?  I'd be back sporadically for seasonal work.  I've read a lot of articales and videos on what you've mentioned, but I feel like there's even more.  Especially when it comes to the other stuff that I'd need AFTER getting the truck and fifth wheel.  Right now, I'm trying to ballpark the price of it all.  I dunno, maybe its the prepper in me :)  

Thanks a bunch!  

49 minutes ago, ericontheweb said:

I don't know how necessary a dually is, but I can only imagine it makes stability much better.  Maybe not?

It does. That is the main advantage to dually trucks when towing a fifth wheel. 

51 minutes ago, ericontheweb said:

I've definitely looked at domiciling a little, no one mentions NV? 

Actually, unless it has changed, Nevada is one of the other states that does accept a mail forwarding service as a legal address for domicile. And like the three that I mentioned, they have no state income tax. They do cost more for vehicle registrations and insurance compared to the other two but you may well have valid reasons to stay with NV as domicile and it would be easier than changing. You may want to see what happens if you get a call to jury duty as there are ways around returning in the other three states.

Another thing that you may want to do is to rent an RV of some type and make a trip with it, just to get a brief taste of the lifestyle. We have more than a few members of Escapees who earn their living as they travel, if that is your plan. 

5 hours ago, ericontheweb said:

...I'm leaning heavily toward diesel.  I don't know how necessary a dually is, but I can only imagine it makes stability much better.  Maybe not?

Absolutely! It also gives you the option of moving to a larger rig in the future if your solo travels go "dually". ;)

Diesel is most definately the way to go. Power, MPG's, longevity, resale, all and all bang for your buck.... not much of a downside. Especially so if you're full timing it. There are a few situations where a dually will not perform as well as an SRW (ie., snow/ice) but those times are few and far between so the day-to-day stability and load capacity are a definate "win".

If you are buying used you should budget for new tires. Tires don't wear out on RVs, they age out and should be replaced at 6-7 years. Other things that are nice to have is a TPMS(not necessary) system to monitor the tires. Also a quality digital(my preference) tire gauge. Quality water hose, sewer hose, filtering system(see RVfilterstore.com). Pedestal tester, surge protector(Progressive Industries). There will be plenty of  other little items you will need to buy. If you park someplace for any length of time, tire covers are recommended. Don't buy anything unless you really need it. There are plenty of items out there that you don't "need" but the salesman thinks you do.

You can get a mail forwarding address and start moving everything to it now. It is surprising how much needs to be moved. We don't get much physical mail but the addresses still need to be changed.

I am sure more suggestions will be coming.

A good diesel dually is worth it's weight in gold.  Yea, I'm a little biased on that.... LOL  I towed with everything from a Bronco, F150, 250 and finally a Ram 3500 dually.  They all did fine with the trailers I pulled but those were small pop-ups and short rented bumper pulls.  Now I pull a 5th wheel, 32 ft, 14,084 lbs GVW.  While a single rear wheel could pull it, I love the stability of the dually.  Plus when we do go bigger in 2-3 years, I won't be messing with purchasing another, bigger truck.  For used, you could get lucky like we did.  We found a camper that was used maybe twice a year from the original owner.  It was kept in a heated barn when not used.  This thing is spotless, no dings, decals have no peeling, stove/fridge looks unused.  Almost like they came from the store the day before.  BUT, the tires.. lol, are of 2005 vintage so there is up to 1k (i'm replacing with light truck tires like it came with).  I'm going to pull the bearings apart to check them although they don't have many miles on them.  Everything works, I ran the heater hard for a bit in our minus temps ND gets, worked great.  Wife won't sleep on used matresses so that was another expense albeit low $$.  I am slowly making it *ours*, takes time and a little $$.  Point is, if you watch and are careful, take an experienced RV person with you, it does not cost a lot to get started with a good older unit.  Ours is a 2002 Park Avenue.

Good luck in your search, that is half the fun.  Take your time, you will be rewarded in the end.  Plus, you won't have a 100k camper that will be hard to sell if RV'n turns out to not be your thang in the end.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

10 hours ago, Yarome said:

Absolutely! It also gives you the option of moving to a larger rig in the future if your solo travels go "dually". ;)

Ha.  I like that line :)

4 hours ago, SWharton said:

If you are buying used you should budget for new tires. Tires don't wear out on RVs, they age out and should be replaced at 6-7 years. Other things that are nice to have is a TPMS(not necessary) system to monitor the tires. Also a quality digital(my preference) tire gauge. Quality water hose, sewer hose, filtering system(see RVfilterstore.com). Pedestal tester, surge protector(Progressive Industries). There will be plenty of  other little items you will need to buy. If you park someplace for any length of time, tire covers are recommended. Don't buy anything unless you really need it. There are plenty of items out there that you don't "need" but the salesman thinks you do.

Thanks!  These are along the lines of 'stuff I haven't thought of yet" that I was thinking about.  If anyone has more, including things not related to the truck or 5th wheel, I'll be writing them all down!  

1 hour ago, NDBirdman said:

For used, you could get lucky like we did.  We found a camper that was used maybe twice a year from the original owner.  It was kept in a heated barn when not used.  This thing is spotless, no dings, decals have no peeling, stove/fridge looks unused.  Almost like they came from the store the day before.  BUT, the tires.. lol, are of 2005 vintage so there is up to 1k (i'm replacing with light truck tires like it came with).

This is what I'm hoping to find, I never really considered a brand new one.  SImply due to price and depreciation.  I know I need to find an RV guy, but at this point, I'm trying to get as much knowledge myself.  Kirk offered some good advice about checking out replacement parts, as I assume at least a few things would need to be replaced.  I've been looking at a few anywhere between 5-15 years old thus far.

Thank you all thus far

2 hours ago, LindaH said:

X2.

Also, check out the offerings from Northwood's sister company, Outdoors RV.

http://outdoorsrvmfg.com/

http://northwoodmfg.com/

Oh yea, something else...  Where are some good sources to buy?  I've looked at rvtrader, camping world, generalrv, etc (basically the first few sites on a simple internet search) -basically just browsing around for ballpark pricing on 5th wheels as it'll be a while before I actually purchase one.  Which has the best deals?  I'm sure there are others and I'd love to see and compare dealers/sites.  I've also looked at craigslist and offerup.  

2 minutes ago, ericontheweb said:

Where are some good sources to buy?

It's good to look at every source your can find to expand your working knowledge of the general market and "what" goes for about "how much". You'll also likely notice that a similar rig might sell for dramatically more or less depending on what region it is located in. It's not terribly uncommon for folks to travel quite a distance to make a purchase and then return it to their home state.... saving quite a bundle in the process.

Scanning multiple sale avenues will help you focus in on a few "target" rigs that you'll likely be happy with that would realistically fall within your budget. BUYING on the other hand is a different matter. Personally, I prefer private party. Having someone that actually knows the rig, it's history, and sometimes more importantly, what mods have been done that generally go undocumented when purchasing off a lot. Every rig is likely to have a few little "quirks" that are nice to know about up front. In the process of testing each and every system with the seller present they are likely to come up and there might be a little "trick" or some such that really isn't a major issue, or deal breaker, as long as you're aware of it.

It may just be something small that might otherwise add to an unfavorable impression of a rig but can be obviated if the current owner is standing right there and can tell you, "If you lift up a bit on the top step before expanding the stairs down it really easy." KWIM? 

Where you "shop" doesn't necessarily have to be where you BUY. That being said... I've heard a number of folks that seemed to have had very good buying experiences from PPL Motorhomes. On the flip side.... I would, personally, avoid Camping World rigs like the plague. 

2 hours ago, Yarome said:

I've heard a number of folks that seemed to have had very good buying experiences from PPL Motorhomes. On the flip side.... I would, personally, avoid Camping World rigs like the plague. 

x2. To both.

Plus PPL is a good place to do research because you can sort for sold to see what people are really paying.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 hours ago, ericontheweb said:

Where are some good sources to buy? 

Part of the answer depends on you. Where are you located and how far are you willing to travel? If you buy a used RV I strongly recommend that you get the best prospects inspected by either a professional RV inspector or a mobile RV tech. I have owned RVs for more than 30 years but would still want a professional opinion if I were to buy an expensive, used RV. I would also give thought to how long you expect to keep the RV and stay out fulltime. Another factor is what your skill level is regarding repairs and maintenance to the RV. The older the RV is and the longer you keep it, the more maintenance and repairs you can expect to need. Most of the work is fairly easy if you have a good understanding of basic electricity, plumbing, and carpentry. It can get expensive very quickly if you pay an RV tech to do your repairs as most charge at least $75/hour and most are in the $100 range. Worse yet is the problem of finding qualified techs to do some of the more complicated troubleshooting problems. 

Since you have little or no knowledge base to work from, I suggest that you consider attending the Escapees RVer's Boot Camp as it will teach you a great deal that will help you to choose the right RV when you buy one. Many people choose to attend the course before they buy. You might even want to consider attending the next Escapade while will be the last week of May in Sedalia, MO. 

Welcome, Eric. Doing your research is a wise way to spend some time now. Have you considered a motor home or a travel trailer? Both may be reasonable choices for you, depending on what you plan on doing. Get used to the idea that something will tow something else. A MH uses a lot of fuel while traveling, but NONE while parked. It can easily tow a fuel-efficient vehicle, so that your TOTAL annual fuel cost will be reasonable. A travel trailer isn't as tall as a fifth wheel, so it doesn't have the wind resistance of one, meaning better fuel economy. A 5'er will be most like an apartment on wheels.

On the other side of things, if you get a diesel pusher MH, you can have some large repair bills if you don't stay on top of things. Also, if you get a heavy MH (think Bluebird Wanderlodge) your leveling jacks can poke holes in soft asphalt/gravel. Some brands use the air bags for leveling, so no jacks. Travel trailers don't have the outside storage space that 5'ers do. 5'ers have lots of steps going from outside to the bathroom. That isn't much of an issue for a young person, but it can still get old having to go up a full flight of stairs to use the bathroom.

The point is that you need to decide what you need/want and then find a coach that meets as many of your needs/wants as possible. If you go with a towable pay attention to weights. A TT will have 10-15% of gross vehicle weight on the hitch, while a 5'er will have 20-25% there. Those weights go on the rear axle, as does all of the stuff that rides in the truck bed. Don't believe the sales person who tells you that any 3/4 ton pickup can tow any trailer out there. Also, a TT will let you put a cover on the bed of the truck, while a 5'er has a large, heavy hitch assembly taking up a good chunk of the bed and the only type of bed cover you can use is a roll-up or folding one (no shells).

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Archived