TIRES

NDBirdman

11 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

I think you're going to be a bit hard pressed to get tires fresher than 6 months old.  To go from manufacturer, to warehouse, to distributor, maybe another warehouse, to retailer, 6 months is not a lot of time.  

I agree. It is not realistic to expect tires much newer than this, especially since this is not a particularly high-volume tire in terms of sales numbers. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

• 2 weeks later...

Finally put the tires on.  Wow, these things are very heavy, I have a feeling they are going to be nice, long lasting tires.  The LT tires I removed I would say were almost half as heavy.

The old tires, upon removing them, I noticed there was slight cupping on all 4 of them, both inside/outside of the tread.  Center tread was good, looks like they will run a long time on a farm-trailer.  They are 12 yrs old though.  Is this something (cupping) I should worry about?  I am going to remove the tires one at a time to clean/grease the bearings and check the drum brakes.  Looks like sometime back greasable (bearing buddy?) were put on it.  I have heard this is not the best way to grease the bearings?  Each wheel also has a shock but they look well used.  Will replace those too.  Anything else I should look at as far as the suspension?

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

1 hour ago, NDBirdman said:

The old tires, upon removing them, I noticed there was slight cupping on all 4 of them, both inside/outside of the tread.  Center tread was good, looks like they will run a long time on a farm-trailer.  They are 12 yrs old though.  Is this something (cupping) I should worry about? 

Are you sure the inflation was correct for the trailer's weight.  Under inflation would cause wear on the outside of the tread while leaving the center looking good.

https://www.pepboys.com/tires/treadsmart/typical_treadwear_patterns/

2 hours ago, remoandiris said:

Are you sure the inflation was correct for the trailer's weight.  Under inflation would cause wear on the outside of the tread while leaving the center looking good.

https://www.pepboys.com/tires/treadsmart/typical_treadwear_patterns/

Actually I've only pulled this camper home, bout 4 hours from the dealership where they said the pressure was correct.  I don't know where the previous owners ran them.  Guess I will see by fall as we are planning a couple trips covering about 4k miles plus in-state outings this year.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Archived