RV Security

Mark Miller

I don't recall ever hearing of a 5th wheel stolen. We always used a king pin lock just as a precaution. It would at least slow them down. I would not use a an X-chock that goes between the 2 wheels. My thoughts(no experience) on those is it would be to easy to release some air from the tires and then pull out the chock. Or possibly even pull out the chock without release air. IMO.

Check your insurance as using a locking device might give you a break on the rate.  We have a TT and use a lock on the coupler when we aren't towing and our insurance gives us a break on the rate.  The lower rate paid for the lock the first year and the rest is gravy.  If they try and damage the coupler the insurance covers 100% of the repair.  One final thing to remember is that locks only keep honest people honest.  If someone is bound and determined to steal your RV they will.

My post retirement "second life" included a stint in the truck repair/towing/recovery business until my son-in-law completed our buyout agreement. During that time, we retrieved several stolen TT's, including one 5'ver, for various police agencies. In all but one case, they were stolen from storage yards, and in every case they had some sort of hitch lock in place that was still in place when we went to get them. We learned that a common way to steal bumper pull TT's was to just back a truck up them, hook up the safety chains short and drive off. The 5'ver was taken by hooking a winch cable to the pin box from what appeared to be a homemade truck boom, and driving off with it. In and out in about 3 minutes according the security video. The police got a break on that one when one of the officers recognized the passenger in the truck that hooked up the cable. They had closely followed a legitimate space renter through the key card gate before it closed.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Theft of any type of RV isn't common but it does happen. An RV would be much more difficult for the thief to convert into money when compared to motor vehicles. I doubt that there are chop shops for RVs and there is only a small market for used RV parts. On the other hand, there is also no type of RV that has never been reported as stolen on the RV forums over the years that I have been active on them. It isn't very common but it does happen. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Theft of "anything" is always possible.

IMO - I would worry more about the theft of the tow vehicle than the theft of the RV being towed.

First RV in 1970.  Tents, etc. before that.  I've never had anything stolen - except tires and rims in a storage yard - in all those years.  "Never"  means the RV itself, camp equipment, bikes, etc.  Of course, there's always a first time.

Nothing wrong with security -especially for things that could easily "walk away"!

"Deer season" - reminds me of an interesting (good) "non-theft",  honest folks  story I'll post later.

Never been in an RV park that I was concerned about it. Different folks here. And some will talk trash about construction workers in park but someone better not try to steal from them. Lol

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

As others have said, theft is more common with pull trailers than 5th wheels but it does happen. A couple of years ago a brand new Drv 5th wheel was stolen off the lot at Wheels RV in Springdale, AR. As far as I know it was never recovered. It's probably back in the hills of AR or OK. A king pin lock is always a good idea, you never know . . . .

Jan & Thomas

2012 Drv Mobile Suite 5'r

2012 Ford F350 Super Duty

A real "good" chain and lock, discreetly (ground level, tucked in the grass and not real visible) connecting the wheels will create enough havoc that it may cause the thieves to abandon their catch and leave. Pulling a trailer down the road with two wheels dragging instead of rolling is a bit obvious, something crooks are not real comfortable with. Any deterrent that crooks understand and are aware of beforehand can be defeated. The surprise and the "oh shit" factor will work a lot in your favor. The crooks are just as likely to abandon it rather that take the time to determine the problem and "correct" it. Insurance will fix the relatively minor damage caused by your chain a lot faster than they will pay off the claim for the entire trailer. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

We see reports of Rv being taken on facebook, and RV forums perhaps several times  a year.It appears to be more common at Rv storage areas.It is a low priority worry on our part.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I note that all of the cases listed were stolen from dealer or storage lots, except Case C that's not clear if it was a storage lot or private lot.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 2/27/2018 at 7:10 PM, rangerben said:

When I was a Leo in my home county we would recover one or two stolen trailers each deer season. 

Theft and deer hunters -

Bishop, California (4K ft elevation).

Friend heads off (late Sept.?) into back country, using fire roads.  Parks his VW bug, hikes back into  the hills (w/ hunting rifle) to look for deer.  No luck - starts to snow. He decides, snow is not going to stop - time to head back to his vehicle.  Hikes to were he left the VW - - Yikes! -  - GONE!

Starts walking out - another hunter gives him a lift into town.  Reports theft.  Has. the DW drive about 200 miles to get him. 

Fast forward to Spring (April/May).  Gets call from Rangers.  Would you please come and get your VW bug - or it will be towed & impounded....it's blocking a fire road!!

DW drives him back to Bishop, and out the Fire Road.  VW is right where he left it (snow made the topography -hills- all look the same).

VW is just as he left it (unlocked) -  with his *HANDGUN* still on the passenger seat in plain sight.

Yeah - he did take a lot of flack for that one!

Archived