VNL Air Bag Replacement

bigredhdt

If it is any consolation the job is pretty simple.   I recently replaced the bags on my singled truck in a couple hours.  While I had the area torn apart I also cleaned up the frame and spray painted to tidy things up.  The bags for my truck cost $115 each from class8truckparts.com

1. Air up your truck (assuming your bags still hold air)
  2. Place jack stands under frame. 
  3. Wait for the old bags to deflate.  This didnt take too long with my old leaky bags.  Once deflated you will be able to collapse the bag and pull it out.
  4. Use breaker bar to loosen the nut on the bottom of the bags.
  5. Use breaker bar to loosen the nut on the top of the bags.  My new bags came with new brackets too.
  6. Unscrew the air supply fitting
  7. Put it all back together in reverse.

NOTE:  When I was all done, my bags would not inflate until I jacked the truck up and lowered it off the jack stands.  There must be some sort of valve inside them that causes this to happen.

Pics from my project:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/GyOFbMmSP3yC0ctG2

2007 Volvo VNL670, Singled, Air ride hitch

5 minutes ago, lockmup68 said:

good idea to replace shocks at same time.

Yeah it is.  For me though I recently had a nightmare of a time replacing a front shock. Since I was doing the bag replacement at an RV park, I didnt want to get into that situation again!

36 minutes ago, chooseopen said:

NOTE:  When I was all done, my bags would not inflate until I jacked the truck up and lowered it off the jack stands.  There must be some sort of valve inside them that causes this to happen.

Pics from my project:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/GyOFbMmSP3yC0ctG2

There is no valve inside the bags, it was your ride height leveling valve doing it’s job.  Since the frame was supported at ride height on jack stands, it would not add air to the air bags.  You could also have manipulated the leveling valve to get it to pass air to the bags or what you did made it work as well.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

At what point do we replace the air bags, years, miles or signs of cracking?

Recently camped and wanted to level the rear of the HDT so i drove up on ramps.  Air leaked out of one bag most not have liked to be in that angle.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

3 minutes ago, Cotreker said:

I researched this a bit before I replaced mine.  I found that cracking is normal.  At some point I found a technical bulletin from Goodyear that showed this "normal" cracking.  It basically looks like dry rot on tires.  I decided to change mine at the point that the "dry rot" cracks started to peel open into what I would call "splits". Flaps of rubber were actually starting to pull away from the surrounding rubber.  

2 hours ago, Cotreker said:

Recently camped and wanted to level the rear of the HDT so i drove up on ramps.  Air leaked out of one bag most not have liked to be in that angle.

Backing onto blocks may have caused the leveling valve to try to compensate.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I replaced my last original @ 950,000mi. and 28 yrs. old on my Peterbilt. On mine there's an internal stop so when there's no air truck will come too far down. Bought the cheaper bag and Whoops. On older Freightliners there's an external stop so any generic bag will work-not on mine. It only cost a few dollars more to go 1st. class. Nice thing about old rubber lines with flare fittings just clamp off or put in dime.

I'm having a hard time understanding why the axle without bags would bounce as there is a leaf spring and shock.  This suspension setup is what you find on pickup trucks.

My understanding is that the sole purpose if the air bag is to maintain drive shaft alignment.

Thoughts?  

If we were to call them air springs which is what they are maybe less confusions might occur?

The level valve maintains ride height as load changes on the chassis.

“Half steel spring” air suspensions still rely on the air spring to carry the load.

Level valve is usually on the rear drive axle and maintains the same psi in all springs to hold ride height when the truck is sitting on level surface. 

Some trucks might have dual level valves but they will be side to side on the same axle. They help with lopsided loads. And they will be happily out of synch with each other most of the time :D...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

4 hours ago, bigredhdt said:

I'm having a hard time understanding why the axle without bags would bounce as there is a leaf spring and shock.  This suspension setup is what you find on pickup trucks.

My understanding is that the sole purpose if the air bag is to maintain drive shaft alignment.

Thoughts?  

The air bag is the same as the shakles on the back of a leaf spring. The front of the spring pivots off the front spring hanger. More or less air changes the pinion angles. The secret is to have the pinions or yokes parallel to each other or the back a hair down so when torque is applied the back will go up and be parallel. There's a geometry therm or something that relates to this.

On 2/28/2018 at 3:16 PM, bigredhdt said:

Thoughts?  

With no air bags, you do not have a leaf spring, the axle will simply move up and down, pivoting on the front of the leaf spring.

The air bag (Air Spring) does maintain frame height with varying weight loads, however, it also works, in conjuction, with the leaf spring and shock absorbers to absorb axle movement forces.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Archived