Wave 6 Catalytic Heater Review

rbertalotto

Here is an article I posted a week or so ago when I decided to buy a Olympian WAVE 6 catalytic heater.

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/olympian-wave-6-propane-heater-review.html

Now that I've been using it for over a week in near freezing weather out here in the Arizona desert I have some comments.......

FANTASTIC! Couldn't be happier.......Keeps my 20' trailer easily at 70 degrees when night time temps drop down to near freezing. Sips propane......Used it every night for 10 days and still have plenty of propane. Uses no electricity. If boondocking, batteries stay charged all night for use in the AM.

NO NOISE!!!! The trailers furnace sounds like a 747 taking off every 20 minutes. Totally silent.

Three temperature settings allows the heat to be very easily regulated. Never too hot, not too cold...Just right!

No condensation....The furnace created condensation on all the windows and the aluminum frame around my toy haulers ramp. ZERO with the WAVE 6. (now this most likely is because I opened the side vents on the toy hauler to give the WAVE 6 the needed fresh air it needed) 

Extremely fast heat up of the interior. Within minutes, the trailer is warm. And being radiant heat, sitting in front of the heater you are warmed immediately. No blast of cold air for a few minutes like the furnace did.

These devices should be the standard way that these small RVs are heated rather than a complex furnace.

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

I think the reason for no moisture is the fact you are in very low humidity. I have a wave 6 that is not heating as well anymore I think the cloth or whatever it is needs replacing. Make me an offer I have a new heater coming and I totally agree on the wave six  it sips propane.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

RB, Thanks for the report. I've never used the Wave 6 but have had similar good luck with my Mr Heater.

Of course I ONLY use it in the daytime (never overnight or when sleeping),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Adequate ventilation as required,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have not one but two CO detectors plus an LP Gas detector,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Plus the heater has an automatic low oxygen shutdown sensor.

I use mine mostly in the morning to take the chill off. True they are indeed much more efficient than traditional forced air RV furnaces and there's no energy sucking furnace fan running. Great for dry camping in my opinion if used properly and safe.

Thanks again, best wishes

John T

I bought my 6 at a yard sale in Livingston for $40, wouldn’t take 4x that for it now. Been cold & windy everywhere we’ve been this winter, I’m sure it has paid for its self in propane. No problem with condensation with the wind blowing through here.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

12 hours ago, rbertalotto said:

No condensation....The furnace created condensation on all the windows and the aluminum frame around my toy haulers ramp. ZERO with the WAVE 6. (now this most likely is because I opened the side vents on the toy hauler to give the WAVE 6 the needed fresh air it needed) 

A little clarification is in order here. The factory RV furnaces do not "create" condensation inside of the RV. All combustion takes place in a combustion chamber that uses only outside air, and exhausts outside as well. So the moisture created by combustion never makes it into the RV. What creates condensation inside of the RV is the moisture from breathing, showering, dishwashing, wearing wet clothing into the RV etc. 

A catalytic heater in fact DOES release moisture into the living space. However with the ventilation suggested to avoid Carbon Monoxide production you are continually moving moist air out of the RV. Being is a very dry climate like the Arizona desert helps a great deal as well. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

13 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

A little clarification is in order here. The factory RV furnaces do not "create" condensation inside of the RV. All combustion takes place in a combustion chamber that uses only outside air, and exhausts outside as well. So the moisture created by combustion never makes it into the RV. What creates condensation inside of the RV is the moisture from breathing, showering, dishwashing, wearing wet clothing into the RV etc. 

X2

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

23 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

A catalytic heater in fact DOES release moisture into the living space.

X2. Folks are, typically, more aware of the necessity of venting with an LP heater, which helps with normal condensation so it may "seem" as if it doesn't, but in fact does as a byproduct of LP burn (as does an RV stovetop).

I don't really know anyone that isn't happy with their Wave heaters, but I'm more in the Mr. Heater big buddy camp myself. It's just as efficient with LP as the Wave (99%), but it IS quite bulky in comparison. Having a thin, out of the way, wall mount is quite ideal for most folks.

A few things that a big buddy heater has going for it though is it's versatility, portability, durability, fan and cost. The Wave is somewhat known for needing more frequent thermocoupler and face replacements. Using the buddy, and being quite portable it's easy to blast at a full 9k or 18k btu's for just a couple minutes... for the few minutes you really want it to be especially warm... in the bathroom or bedroom to get them quite comfortable without having to heat the entire rig. Having a built in fan helps speed the process.

You're also not tethered to a hose if you don't want. Mine sees a lot of use outside, actually. While cooking outdoors in cooler weather it's nice to have the buddy heater to keep the cold off your backside... and again... with the fan... you don't have to be standing right next to (or over it) to benefit from the heat. Toss it in the rig and it's great to have a ready "hot spot" to warm yourself or heat the truck cab without having to run the engine while out and about enjoying the outdoors. Ever tried starting a fire with numb hands?  ;)

Being able to run off low or high pressure opens up the useability, it's built to be battered, and the thermocoupler is easily adjustable for higher altitude use. At half the price of a Wave 6 (6k btu) for an 18k portable... it's a win in my book.

That being said... it is one HUNK of a heater that takes up a lot of valuable space to store when not in use. Heck... even when in use it creates quite an obstacle to contend with in a limited living space situation. Let's face it... it's a "beast", but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Of course, smaller versions are available at lower BTU's, but I use mine outside enough that a single side/bottle heater just wouldn't cut it.

10 hours ago, Yarome said:

but I'm more in the Mr. Heater big buddy camp myself

DITTO the main reason for me is its PORTABILITY. I installed a  stainless steel braided hose and gas shut off inside the RV so I can run off my main tank if I like PLUS I can still use the small portable tanks if needed elsewhere. To test out some safety features I ran the heater a short time with inadequate ventilation and sure enough the Mr. Heater built in safety switch shut down due to low oxygen (I think that's how/why it shuts down). Then I ran it some time to see if one of my two CO detectors inside the RV alarmed and sure enough they did. Still as I noted earlier I ONLY use it with TWO CO detectors,,,,,,,,,,,,,NEVER at night or when sleeping (short morning use to take the chill off) ,,,,,,,,,,,With adequate ventilation. When used properly I never get a CO alarm nor an auto shutdown.     

I still consider non vented heaters as a short term temporary solution while using the gas guzzling current sucking inefficient RV forced air furnace otherwise. If plugged to an RV park with non metered electricity I kick on the electric heat in my rooftop unit or use a cube heater.  

Its been high eighties here on Florida a lot of the month so no heat required yayyyyyyyyyyyy

John T

1 hour ago, oldjohnt said:

Mr. Heater built in safety switch shut down due to low oxygen (I think that's how/why it shuts down).

Yup. They are equipped with low O2 and "tip-over" cut-offs. The Camco's "may" have a low O2 cut-off, but I don't believe so. At least in models over a couple years old. I haven't really seen any of the newer models. The element pads aren't really all that terribly expensive, but then again... my big buddy is pushing 10 years old and has never needed a replacement "anything".

One thing I actually really think is slick with the waves is their recessed installation kit/capability. Strictly for their intended purpose,  you really can't go wrong with a Wave.  

Technically, all heaters have a "Low Oxygen" cut-off, since the flame will extinguish without sufficient O2. I don't think I'd volunteer to test the controls, though.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

LIttle late on this post, but I absolutely concur with rbertalotto.   We have had a Wave 6 Heater for going on 5 years now, and we love it.   Indeed, sitting here in the Arizona Desert outside Yuma... we have had some cold nights, and that heater has been invaluable.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Archived