1995 international 4700

natetate100

Natetate100

IHO you will hate that truck.  Anything less than 300-330 HP is way under powered for a 24K fiver.  Our 3126B Cat in our 99 FL50 was factory 300 HP.  It did an ok job with our 1995 40 foot 18,000 GV Newmar Kourntry Aire 5ver.  When we got our 2004 21,000 GVW Newmar Kountry Aire I need to ask the DW to get out an push going up long grades.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

2 hours ago, DJW said:

Natetate100

IHO you will hate that truck.  Anything less than 300-330 HP is way under powered for a 24K fiver.  Our 3126B Cat in our 99 FL50 was factory 300 HP.  It did an ok job with our 1995 40 foot 18,000 GV Newmar Kourntry Aire 5ver.  When we got our 2004 21,000 GVW Newmar Kountry Aire I need to ask the DW to get out an push going up long grades.

Dennis

I have a 2003 Newmar KA and plan on towing with an IH 4700LP with the DT530.  Its 300/860.  How has your experiences shown that this is enough truck esp for someone in the West.  Looking at/wanting to upgrade to a HDT.

Marcel

I pull an Eclipse Attitude toyhauler that weighs about 22k loaded and tow a 3500# jeep. It was our experience that we were short of power in hills (even in AZ) as well as the braking wasn't as good as I wanted, with the IH. We now have a Volvo 780 and couldn't be happier.Mileage is similar but that's where similarities end.Visibility, power, braking (both engine and chassis) and overall comfort are better in 780. We lost the 4 doors and the ease of entry which we do miss. YMMV. Mark

2004 Volvo 780 singled long

Eclipse Attitude toyhauler

79 Shovelhead Electraglide

Nate good to see another trade worker on here ( union electrician myself ), we have the 4 door freightliner sport chassis, cat motor 300/850, automatic 6 speed, it’s no speed demon climbing hills pulling our 18K toy hauler, we just fall in line with the truckers and hit the cruise control at 35 mph and enjoy the views, I’d throw a picture up for you but I don’t know how to make it smaller

I see the decision has been made but I'll put my 2 bits worth in anyway.  I had an '01 DT 530, 275/800.  Nice looking truck but grossly underpowered going up hills and even worse starting from a dead stop going up an entry ramp to any freeway.  I could never make enough speed buy the time I entered the freeway to not worry about a fast mover coming up from behind and slamming into me.  The truck was stable but lost out on every other account.  IH has never 'got' the RVing sector.  The cab is noisy, electronics are old tech.  I tried addition sound deadening on the floor and in the doors.  The wind noise from the mirrors comes thru the doors and was loud, too loud.

You are underpowered and with a 444 and low gears, you'd be revving the engine higher than I'd be happy with...generating even more noise.

Sure you'd have 4 doors but that's the only good point.

Lets talk brakes, everyone talks about "go power", but never 'Stopping power",  the Ih has hydraulic brakes which are not even close to having the stopping power of air brakes...not even close. 

Engine or Jake brake compared to the exhaust brake on the old tech trucks is nowhere near as effective as the engine brake on my Volvo.

There is a long windy steep grade in central Washington.  I set the speed for 47mph and brake cruise for 2 mph over that.  When the speed hits 47, the engine brake cuts in and grabs hold of the whole rig by the belt and brings it back to 45 then lets go.  This goes on for 5 miles without me touching the foot brake at all.  This also saves brake pads and glazing the brakes or cracking the drums.

I'm not going to tell you what kind of truck 'to get', I will say after having had my IH and even after reprogramming the shift points, an old tech IH is most definitely not the answer for a heavier trailer.

Roger

• 3 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, Redrammer99 said:

My rear end is around 4.44.  It's not like its not going to make it to the top but it won't be at the speed limit, lol.  Safety is the key with the truck compared to my one ton duallies.  I had the brake controller fail on the International and the truck had no problems stopping the trailer on truck brakes alone whereas with the dually you better have time to run through the gears if you need to stop in a hurry.  The cool factor is high though, lol.

IH Jewel.jpg

I have the DT530 @300hp and 4:10 Gears and it pulls the hills out here on the west coast just fine. My total weight is 29,500

1998 International DT530, 3060 -6spd. 300hp17265030_1321097554595050_6246672396117139287_n.jpg.bfd067f6b99c209485eec6fa5077cd5f.jpg

• 3 months later...

The MDT if equipped properly do the job. Yeah they ride a little rougher but hey its a truck. No its not a volvo.  To me its not speed up hill. Its about controlling the decent.  Coming down counts more.  I dont have a International 4700 but if i did hunt down a diesel in an older mdt id find and FL60 or FL70 with the 8.3L cummins.  You can pump them up for as much power as you want.  More fuel pressure bigger turbo and 400hp is easy to get.  Youll expect to pay 5k more for a truck with a cummins then cat. But worth every cent.

Archived