Truck Repair

rickeieio

Nice job for a good look truck. Sound like you can do everything yourself to save money. You have a million miles on it, is that much different in an older truck than the newer in feature and equipment? 

What kind of engine and transmission? How do you go by find truck like that?

Volvo VNL610 M11+ 98 10 speed
Mountain Aire 40' 5th 2002
Outback Power, 1200 watts Sanyo panels

7 hours ago, Padraic said:

For my education, what was the truck age and mileage when you acquired. Did you expect that? I guess I was lucky.  

It's a 2001, we got it in 2010 w/ 729k on the odometer.  Many of the issues we've had are rust related.  It spent it's life based in Toledo, Ohio.  But those were the cheap fixes.  The costly stuff (about half) has been because of an incompetent mechanic (genuine Cummins technician), and "official policy" of following a diagnostic tree, rather than listening to the shop foreman.

If I were to start over, I'd look for a southern or western truck with very little corrosion.  Maintenance records are a plus, but no guarantee.  For instance, I had all the records, but they didn't predict a crack in the IFSM (Integrated Fuel System Management) plate.  A $1400 part.

All told, I've never had a penny's interest expense, and could get most of my money back for what we paid for the original truck.  I'm satisfied with it.  That said, just yesterday my bride commented that a white truck would look better with our trailer.:wacko:

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

8 hours ago, Padraic said:

Nice job for a good look truck. Sound like you can do everything yourself to save money. You have a million miles on it, is that much different in an older truck than the newer in feature and equipment? 

What kind of engine and transmission? How do you go by find truck like that?

Cat 3406B all mechanical. Only 12v is fuel on and off (can manually do it also) and starter. Don't even need batteries to start  only a push or pull. Eaton Fuller 13 speed. Forgot about new exhaust, deck and hitch material, new bumper and original Peterbilt wheels. Only paid 8.5K. All new carpet but interior is like new. All the sheetmetal is alv9erQvkl.jpguminum. Real truckers love these trucks-No computor-def and regen.

This writer drove one of those. Dark blue n white,  380 Cat ( white),  15 speed, split ring bias tires in the steer axle because you don’t want them newfangled radials can’t tell yer on ice, that  air ride was ok once you got used to it, wear your parka and mukluks to keep warm in Alberta winter... great air conditioner roof mounted but don’t use it you’ll catch a cold...:)

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Archived