Jurry Summons

Twotoes

I use the Escapees So Dakota address for my domicile. I have a So Dakota Drivers liscense, registered  and insure all my vehicles at that address and am registered to vote using that address. Today I got a Jury Summons saying I was picked at random because of my liscense and voting registration. Obviously I have never lived at the Escapees SD address. I called the phone number on the form for the court, advised the person that I am a full time RVer and that it was just a PMB and was advised that I should just check the box that I have moved. Well I have not moved, I am still using the address, but have never actually lived there She said just write a note on the form saying that I am a full time RVer and mail it back. Well that’s what I did. Has anyone else had to deal with a Jury Summons in SD?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

You should have filled out a Residency Affidavit , which would have eliminated the Jury Summons from being sent to you.  We belong to Americas Mailbox, and were advised of doing that when we got our licenses.  We just renewed them in September and both of us filled out and signed new ones again.  https://dps.sd.gov/resource-library/Residency-Affidavit.pdf-501

Got my summons last November.  Contacted mydakotaaddress and Terri gave me the words to use.

On the Juror Questionnaire Form one of the questions is:  How many miles one way from your home to the county courthouse? Answer:  Full time RVer, mileage varies

Filled out the rest of the forms, made copies and sent original to the Clerk of Courts.  Don't believe there are any warrants out on me, yet anyway!

11 hours ago, 57becky said:

You should have filled out a Residency Affidavit , which would have eliminated the Jury Summons from being sent to you.  We belong to Americas Mailbox, and were advised of doing that when we got our licenses.  We just renewed them in September and both of us filled out and signed new ones again.  https://dps.sd.gov/resource-library/Residency-Affidavit.pdf-501

The affidavit asks:

Is South Dakota your state of residence?

Is South Dakota the state you intend to return to after being absent?

I though these were both required to set up domicile within a state. Did you answer both questions YES? If so I don't see how it helps with jury duty. If you answered NO, I'm surprised they would issue drivers licenses. I'm missing something here. Hopefully you can set me straight.

Thanks.

Hugh

Just about every jury selection system has a mechanism, either formally or informally, for excusing or postponing jury duty for folks that are currently out of the area. Some will just include you in the next court term cycle, while others will ask you to call in and let them know when you're back in the state. Establishing a domicile in a state does not mean you necessarily have to spend any significant time there. Nothing in the positive responses to the affidavit requires your presence at the state's beck and call. My wife and I have had jury duty excused or postponed many times over the years, mostly long before we were full time RV'er's. NY State even has an online web site where you can request a postponement from most non-federal jury duty anywhere in the state. The site does require an estimated available to serve date though.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

3 hours ago, dirtyboots said:

Got my summons last November.  Contacted mydakotaaddress and Terri gave me the words to use.

On the Juror Questionnaire Form one of the questions is:  How many miles one way from your home to the county courthouse? Answer:  Full time RVer, mileage varies

Filled out the rest of the forms, made copies and sent original to the Clerk of Courts.  Don't believe there are any warrants out on me, yet anyway!

With Terri's help, I did the same thing last year, with the same positive outcome.  Not something to worry about.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

When I got mine from Minnehaha county (Sioux Falls ) I called the court clerk, she told me to write "Full Time RVer" on the form and mail it back. She removed me and my wife from the rolls.

Clay(WA5NMR), Lee(Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timed for eleven years in our 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Snowbirds for 1 year. Now settled down in western CO.
Honda Accord toad.

If you call the court # listed on the summons the recording tells you to indicate you are a full-time rver , sign and return the summons.  Residency paperwork DOES NOT stop you from receiving a summons for jury duty.  Just call the # and follow their instructions for full-timers.

Pat DeJong

Archived