Faded Decal remeadies

Cowdog353

2 hours ago, Cowdog353 said:

Any suggestions for faded decals on a 5th wheel.  Anyone try removal and paint? 

Thanks for your replies.

jim

Working on this a few hours here and there. Might just polish out the gel coat and run with the Movie Trailer look....

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I removed the faded and cracked decals from our Teton and painted new ones on.  I used off times one winter removing the decals with a cheap decal remover from Harbor Freight.  Found it on sale for about $10.  Actually used 2 of them.  These are cheap but worked pretty well.  The razor blade will dig into the fiberglass if you are not careful.  Lacquer  thinner seemed to work the best to remove the residue left behind.  I used the shadows from the old decals to mask for the new paint.  I am happy with it and it wasn't expensive doing myself but a friend had new decals put over the old ones.  That looked pretty good to.  He found a sign company that cut new decals and placed these over the existing ones.  I don't  remember the cost but I remember at the time it seemed reasonable.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

8 hours ago, Randyretired said:

I removed the faded and cracked decals from our Teton and painted new ones on.  I used off times one winter removing the decals with a cheap decal remover from Harbor Freight.  Found it on sale for about $10.  Actually used 2 of them.  These are cheap but worked pretty well.  The razor blade will dig into the fiberglass if you are not careful.  Lacquer  thinner seemed to work the best to remove the residue left behind.  I used the shadows from the old decals to mask for the new paint.  I am happy with it and it wasn't expensive doing myself but a friend had new decals put over the old ones.  That looked pretty good to.  He found a sign company that cut new decals and placed these over the existing ones.  I don't  remember the cost but I remember at the time it seemed reasonable.

Mine are peeling around the edges. Don't have a shop to paint in. Did you?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

5 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Use air brush or spray gun? 

I used a cheap spray gun from HF.  Sanded lightly after it was masked and sprayed an epoxy primer.  Then a couple of coats of automotive paint (one color matched to the HDT) and finally a clear coat over all of the paint.  Masking and removing the decals took some time but the actual painting just took a couple of hours.  I have seen a quick job with rattle cans and it turned out surpisingly well.  Certainly an improvement over cracked and faded decals.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

A graphics outfit can take digital pics of existing graphics, enlarge them just enough to give a slight overlap.  Old ones can be removed with some effort.  Using a razor knife  as mentioned earlier will leave divots.  A Calgary outfit made a hatchet job of mine so the trailer needed a full wrap.

Best to remove windows and hatches if needed.  Wrap graphics around into the openings then re-install.

R

Used a steam cleaner to remove old decals, peeled them right off. Just be careful not to get fiberglass to hot or it will raise the grain in the fiberglass. Excess glue can be removed with lacquer thinner. Repainted using Axailta Imron  paint with additive for roller application. Great quality paint and tough paint for $125. PER gallon. Application with roller worked good, and flowed with very little orange peel. Ebay supply the decals.

ppbajell.jpg

Volvo VNL / Missouri Titled RV

Ved12 425HP

Super 10 Spd

37ft KOA Fifth Wheel

Jeep Rubicon Toad

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 7:50 PM, GlennWest said:

Mine are peeling around the edges. Don't have a shop to paint in. Did you?

My clear coat is starting to peel on the graphics. I thought Teton stripes were painted on. Are they vinyl? That would make easier to get off. I was thinking of just going over the top with new graphics. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Archived