Hayes air brake controller install

chief916

49 minutes ago, chief916 said:

I do now.  The light still don't work but now the brake controller is working......bad pin connector in the metripack connector.  Removed/replaced pin and everything is hunky dory.  I will take photos of the install and post them.  Thank you to all for your support.

Need to run a ground to the case to get the light to work.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Howdy All,

You folks talk of having "no" light, we just installed my Hayes controller and the light is 'ON" all the time, any ideas?

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

7 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

You folks talk of having "no" light, we just installed my Hayes controller and the light is 'ON" all the time, any ideas?

Dave

Hi Dave,

See if you have any voltage is coming out of your Jackalopee to your trailer wire plug. If you do have voltage coming out, then I would think your trailer brakes will want to come on. This is just an idea. I am not a electrician. I hope the experts will chime in. I know when the red light is on my Hayes controller, my trailer brakes are working or I should say the brakes are on.

Good luck,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

9 hours ago, mr. cob said:

Howdy All,

Dave

Dave  I didn't hook my jackalopee up....it was already installed and was connected to a maxbrake when I bought the Volvo.  I just disconnected the Maxbrake, cut the Delphi connector off 3 inches, and rewired it with a metripack connector.  Then wired the Hayes controller to mate with the new connector.  Make sure you have a solid ground...my is on the engine block and my hot wire comes off my starter solinoid.  I did not connect the red stop light wire yet but I eventually will for the safety reasons mentioned in this thread.  Oh yes...I have brakes on the trailer.  Could be something got crossed wired when you installed the jackalopee maybe??  Hoping the electric/duty experts chime in soon.

Howdy All,

I know NOTHING about wiring, "Scrap" Brian helped me wire in the Jackalopee and the Hayes Brake Controller, everything works but the red light on the brake controller is on all the time.  I contacted tech support at Hayes, described the problem and they are sending me a different controller, I'll swap out the controllers and with luck that will fix my problem.  I'll report back what happens when I get this swap made.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave, if your new controller works well and you don't have to return thee old one, bring it to the ECR and we can do an autopsy on it and perhaps repair it so that you will have a good spare unit.    Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

2 minutes ago, sclord2002 said:

Dave, if your new controller works well and you don't have to return thee old one, bring it to the ECR and we can do an autopsy on it and perhaps repair it so that you will have a good spare unit.    Charlie

Howdy Charlie,

Unfortunately the ECR happens at the same time frame as our annual Ural Invasion of Moab Utah takes place so I won't be making the ECR. :(

When I contacted the folks at Hayes, they said they would send me a new unit and include a shipping tag to return the old one.  I am assuming this is the normal procedure when it comes to replacing defective stuff as they want to either rebuild it and sell it again or at least find out what failed and try to correct what ever the mistake was so that it doesn't happen again.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Of those who hooked up the Hayes on a Gen 2 Volvo, what size air line and fittings did you use.

The HHRG and a prior post shows good ideas as to where to tap into, however, I am ordering parts and my truck is three hours away, so measuring air lines is not an option.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

3 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

Of those who hooked up the Hayes on a Gen 2 Volvo, what size air line and fittings did you use.

The HHRG and a prior post shows good ideas as to where to tap into, however, I am ordering parts and my truck is three hours away, so measuring air lines is not an option.

Hi Flyer,

I just finished looking under the hood of my truck. The air line size that I was able to use was 1/4". I also used a DOT approved tee fitting to make the connections. The fitting was 1/4" on all three sides.

Good luck,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Rick,

Good point and we do have a lot of fittings, with the exception of the 1/8” npt that will go into the back of the controller.  Since that can be many sizes on the output side, we need to know what the size the service line or application gauge line is.  Then, since we have to order that fitting, we should probably go ahead and order the T-Fitting, rather than tap into the repair box Supply.

So how is that for a smart ass response?   Lol

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

1 hour ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Flyer,

I just finished looking under the hood of my truck. The air line size that I was able to use was 1/4". I also used a DOT approved tee fitting to make the connections. The fitting was 1/4" on all three sides.

Good luck,
Al

Alan,

Thanks for the info, which line did you tap into?

John

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Hi VF - Male 1/8NPTx1/4” Air to connect to the Hayes. I picked up a straight and a 90. The 90 worked best. 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4 T.  Made a nice razor blade fresh cut in the air application gauge air pipe behind the dash and T’d in there.

First trip with the Hayes today. Working nice.

Oh and my truck with I hafta Shift it now has Hill start mode when hooked to the trailer :)

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

5 hours ago, noteven said:

Hi VF - Male 1/8NPTx1/4” Air to connect to the Hayes. I picked up a straight and a 90. The 90 worked best. 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4 T.  Made a nice razor blade fresh cut in the air application gauge air pipe behind the dash and T’d in there.

First trip with the Hayes today. Working nice.

Oh and my truck with I hafta Shift it now has Hill start mode when hooked to the trailer :)

N/E

Great info, thanks!

Glad to hear that your install is trouble free and I am officially jealous about the Hill Assist....lol   With that said, one more f the reason we went with the Hayes controller, was to be able to use the Johnson Bar to hold trailer brakes.  That should work ok on a shallow to medium hill.

John

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

54 minutes ago, VegasFlyer said:

N/E

Great info, thanks!

Glad to hear that your install is trouble free and I am officially jealous about the Hill Assist....lol   With that said, one more f the reason we went with the Hayes controller, was to be able to use the Johnson Bar to hold trailer brakes.  That should work ok on a shallow to medium hill.

John

That's how it worked out for me.... accidentally pushed the Johnny brake down and heard....Click...but no red light but that being said..I realized I to now had hill assist and yes I do use it.  The brakes on my trailer work better than when I was using the Maxbrake.

Archived