any experience adding an opaque window to a solid entry door

Fhkw9DPJ8V1g

15 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Just curious, what would be the purpose of adding an opaque window?

I agree.  You will be less energy efficient plus it makes another place to be broken in.  I would think that the best way would be just to order a new door assembly if you really  wanted to go that route.  I ordered mine with a solid door.  I know some people ordered a solid door with a peephole.  

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Security? Since when has an RV ever been considered "secure" in any sense of the word? ;) One more window won't make a hills worth of difference and is extremely straight forward.

I have never added a window to a door, but have done so in walls, popped and reseated/sealed plenty of frames and changed out the glass in my doors from opaques to one-way tinted that allow you to see clearly out, lets some light in, but "guests" can't see inside.

The concerns being if your door is thick enough to add a double pane frame and to be aware that you would be adding one additional possible point of water entry if your sealing job leaves a bit to be desired.

I will say... it is exponentially easier to fit a new window than it is to hang and properly fit a new door.

Cost wise really depends on which direction you take. Installing a used window is likely the cheapest but they do sell frame kits (with or w/o glass) that are fairly inexpensive. What... under $75-$100 all told(?). The other route would be to go with a custom window shop. Plenty can be found online that will build a window to your specifications. That could run more in the $200-$300 range I would imagine.

Having the right tools and cutting your opening would be the most critical and time intensive of the whole deal. What's nice about a door though is you don't have to worry about any frame members, wires or pipes.

9 hours ago, DonCoyote said:

My initial intention is to let in a bit more light. When we have our door opened and just the screen door to see out of, we have much more light.

I'm pretty sure 'll just leave it the way it is for now.

An opaque window does not allow any light in.  You can get frosted or translucent window material which can't be seen through but still allow light.  It should be pretty easy to put a frosted window in your door.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Archived