High elevations

narie

Good day. I am wondering if there is any way to override the altimeter setting at elevations over 3000 feet? I frequently travel from Oregon to mexico. It takes too king for it to return to normal. I literally travelled 2 days at 40mph before it returned. Ideas?

To my knowledge altitude should have nothing to do with transmission. The only thing I can think of is possibly a gummed up cable going to transmission which stays stuck due to the cold or it could be an electric solenoid sticking. Call a dealer that handles the transmission you have and ask them wether its electronic or manual control for overdrive.

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

If you want to reset the alt. OD relay, it is located at either the clutch pivot, under the dash, or the driver side kick panel. It should be clearly marked and have 3 wires running to it. With the engine running and the OD OFF, unplug it and run a jumper wire between the top 2 connectors momentarily.

That being said... it's not a good idea to be running with your OD on over 3oooft. actually... anytime really accept when on low and flat roads. It changes your whole power/rpm/gear "profile" when on.

Alternatively, you can also install a switch between the top 2 connectors that would enable you to engage/disengage the OD relay even over the altitude limit. Again though... I wouldn't recommend it.

30 minutes ago, narie said:

Yarome, I am not looking to disable OD uphill, I am looking to enable it coming downhill as it is not working correctly. 

Now I gotcha.... then the OD alt. relay is operating correctly. I took as if the relay would not disengage below the cut-off elevation.

Then yes... it can be bypassed as described above. Installing an off/on (open/close) switch between the two upper female connectors will allow you to enable/disable the OD relay at any elevation.

It's a very common mod.

26 minutes ago, narie said:

i am trying to upload a photo but alas, however it is a little blue box, no markings but has 3 wires, one blue and 2 black and red. Looks like 2 female, one male. 

That might be the right one, but can't be sure without a photo. Should have 2 upper female and one lower male. It's the two upper female connectors you're concerned with. You could always track back the wiring to the fuse block. If the relay box itself isn't marked then you should be able to identify it by the fuse position.

Archived