Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We have a knife holder that screwed onto the back of a cabinet door. Holds 8 knives. Different size slots. I have no idea where we bought it, just move it from rig to rig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

Your Class A will have cargo capacity that can be measured in tons,

 

My wife picked-up on that fact years ago when we parked in easy sight of a large Class A Pusher. My wife questions why the neighboring husband was always gathering items from the cargo space daily. From the social groups in the RV Parks she learned the lack of kitchen storage in the Class A was made up with the storage below. I wife loves the fifth wheel kitchens and know her Husband (me) could never find the pot she needs if stored in the cargo space below. DW also adds I would never get off the computer to go find the pot.

Clay  40 foot fifth wheel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ms60ocb said:

From the social groups in the RV Parks she learned the lack of kitchen storage in the Class A was made up with the storage below.

Interesting observation. In our 12 years of living in a motorhome, not one time did we store any pots, pans, or frequently used items in the bays outside. The only appliance stored there was the bread maker which was never used when moving frequently.  We did keep extra canned goods there occasionally. I don't remember being aware of any fellow motorhome owner who kept pots and pans outside of the kitchen....... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We do store a few seldom used specialty baking pans (seasonal shapes, etc.) in an outside bin, and a couple more frequently, but still not regularly used items under the bed. All other pots and pans are stored in the kitchen/dining area, mostly in the large dinette drawers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ms60ocb:  We never stored any kitchen items in the cargo bay of our Class A. We had plenty of room for everything needed to cook as we did in the S&B.

If you saw a owner going to the storage bays often it's most likely because they have too much unnecessary 'stuff' stored in the main kitchen area - perhaps even overflowing from other areas or else they may have needed some organizational skills. :)  Since you were citing a 'large' Class A owner they definitely had enough kitchen space.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, 2gypsies said:

We cooked as we did in the sticks and bricks. We carried all the staples and used them.  You get used to lack of counter space and tend to put things away as soon as you're finished with it... like the container of flour, sugar, etc. 

+1 on this.  I don't often pay attention when my wife is readying meals, but this a.m. I noticed how she put things away right after she was done with them, like the pancake mix.  At home she puts everything away after we're done eating.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

My wife picked-up on that fact years ago when we parked in easy sight of a large Class A Pusher. My wife questions why the neighboring husband was always gathering items from the cargo space daily.

 

7 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

  We did keep extra canned goods there occasionally. I don't remember being aware of any fellow motorhome owner who kept pots and pans outside of the kitchen....... 

 

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

If you saw a owner going to the storage bays often it's most likely because they have too much unnecessary 'stuff' stored in the main kitchen area - perhaps even overflowing from other areas or else they may have needed some organizational skills.

Probably looking for a reason to have a smoke ;)

Edited by rm.w/aview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We fulltime in a 43 foot fifth wheel. We have a 6 foot island and another 7 foot on the wall + a sink. My advice is to get a unit you are happy with. My wife loves the kitchen and now that we are retired she cooks more than before. She has no problem with her convection microwave, but naturally there was a learning curve. We bought OXO containers from Kohl's and buy 5# flour etc. We have a toaster oven, bread maker, crock pot, kitchenmaid mixer, and coffee maker. In the basement we have a Nesco, and a nu-wave oven. We store the mixer when moving there. We stay 5 months down south and 5 in the north spending a month on the road touring in-between. My wife uses a nu-wave convection burner for cooking. In 3 years we used the gas burners once. We also have a second micro-wave in the basement (our outdoor kitchen :) ) for when the convection is in use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Classic Hammond said:

We fulltime in a 43 foot fifth wheel. We have a 6 foot island and another 7 foot on the wall + a sink. My advice is to get a unit you are happy with. My wife loves the kitchen and now that we are retired she cooks more than before. She has no problem with her convection microwave, but naturally there was a learning curve. We bought OXO containers from Kohl's and buy 5# flour etc. We have a toaster oven, bread maker, crock pot, kitchenmaid mixer, and coffee maker. In the basement we have a Nesco, and a nu-wave oven. We store the mixer when moving there. We stay 5 months down south and 5 in the north spending a month on the road touring in-between. My wife uses a nu-wave convection burner for cooking. In 3 years we used the gas burners once. We also have a second micro-wave in the basement (our outdoor kitchen :) ) for when the convection is in use.

Wow, nice looking rig. The additional kitchen space was a definite pro for 5th wheels.  Thanks for sharing how you travel. We're looking forward to joining the ranks. We're probably class of 2020 or 2021. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I travel alone and do a lot of cooking and baking in my 32' Class C, so here are some tips:

  • I use those tall plastic containers with lids that latch down to store 3-4 cups of flour and sugar.  The extra goes into plastic ziplock bags and into a storage spot under my dinette. (The plastic bags are in case the bags tear or come undone.)  If I were storing food not in cans in an underneath basement bin, I would put them in plastic bins with lids that also latch closed, to protect from critters.  (mice, packrats, raccoons, etc.)  These make a good canister set:  https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-FG7L0600CIRED-3-Piece-Lock-Canister/dp/B0041P2724/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1520974546&sr=8-2&keywords=plastic+food+storage+containers+with+locking+lids&refinements=p_89%3ARubbermaid
  • I have very few appliances, almost none, in fact, and make bread the old fashioned way, using the cutting board that covers my stove or the dinette top.  I do use the cookie mixes, by the way, unless I am baking for a grandson who cannot eat them because of allergies.
  • I also buy the very small cans of things like baking powder, baking soda, and cornstarch because the usual size ones take up too much space.

You will be amazed at how stuff moves around as you are driving and the disasters that will occur if a bag of sugar or flour or anything else gets loose and spills!  Here is another type of container with locking lids:  https://www.amazon.com/Free-Plastic-Food-Container-Locking/dp/B01MTNZ1QG/ref=sr_1_10?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1520974424&sr=1-10&keywords=plastic+food+storage+containers+with+lids

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I have one large plastic bowl with a lid I use as a mixing bowl, and then two smaller collapsible bowls I got from Camping World.  I really can cook almost anything that will fit into my tiny oven! 

Edited by Solo18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a six-section silicone muffin tin that fits on the tray of my tiny toaster oven. Good for those of us who use Jiffy Mixes so as to not bake too big a batch.

Linda Sand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Solo18 and Sandsys. All the tips help. 

I have a 6 section metal muffin pan I picked up years ago. But, silicone has got me wondering if it wouldn't at least be quieter when heading down the road. I may have to give that some thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MrsSquid said:

Thanks Solo18 and Sandsys. All the tips help. 

I have a 6 section metal muffin pan I picked up years ago. But, silicone has got me wondering if it wouldn't at least be quieter when heading down the road. I may have to give that some thought.

Yes, silicone is quieter. But packing well makes that a non issue. But, you can also use it as packing material to quieten other things. Also silicone is floppy which is nice when stuffing it into a cupboard but requires placing it on a tray when cooking. I'd stick with the pan you already own unless later experience suggests otherwise. (I'm a minimalist so resist buying things for just-in-case situations.)

Linda Sand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MrsSquid said:

Good points about packing materials. 

It was awhile ago and I don't remember who is was exactly.... I'm thinking it was Nikki (?) (of "The Wynns")... but a really great idea I've had some success with. Running a thin layer of food grade silicone "caulk" around the rim on the bottom of plates or edges of a bowl or whathaveyou cuts down on the "rattles" dramatically and also gives a bit of "stickem" so they don't slide around on the counter/table and the like. One other that I didn't think about at the time, but a nice by-product... I put a bit on the bottom of some of my plastic mixing bowls and it holds to the counter enough you can stir/mix without having to use both hands (one stirring, the other holding the bowl in place).

It's been a couple of years of regular washings and seems to be holding up really well.

Anyway... kinda cool, dirt cheap and beats laying paper towels or rags before moving our rolling earthquakes. 

I also use these type cubby's and the "sock" one works real well for mugs and the glass "sippin cups".  I use these tritan type cups for "everyday" types (they stack) so it doesn't matter if they get banged around, but a guys gotta have a couple good sippin cups. ;)

Edited by Yarome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.



×