SEWER PIG!

rbertalotto

We are camping at full hook up park in Deming NM. The sewer connection is about 5″ out of the ground so it was difficult to keep the exit end of the sewer hose in the hole. I’ve seen a commercially available device called a “Sewer Pig” and decided I needed to whip one up.

A sewer pig is simply a sandbag that sits on top of the sewer hose and holds it down.

Two Quart size freezer zip lock bags, a few shovels full of sand and some Gorilla tape and I had a Sewer Pig!

DSC01082-vi.jpg

DSC01081-vi.jpg

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Cool! I had a 5 lb Tyvec sandbag laying around from back in our rear wheel drive cars in the winter days that now serves the same purpose. I don't know if they still sell those or not, but they weren't very expensive as I recall. Your idea is still cheaper I'm sure... ;)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Com'on Pat, dont you think a bright boy like me would do that if it was possible. Somehow, the sewer pipe ID is bigger than that fitting I'm using. But you are correct, usually I'd just screw it in. 

I have with me a foam rubber adapter that I could have used. But it's raining and I needed a project......I'm sure you know how that is :-)

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

I have seen something of that type as well, but did a search on sewer pig and found nothing. More than once we have had sewer connections that were too large to screw into and yet too small too small for the rubber donuts that RV supply stores sell. I used to have a nylon tube filled with pea gravel for that use but it has worn out. 

41O5Nd1Bt5L._AC_US240_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg     

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

50 minutes ago, rbertalotto said:

Com'on Pat, dont you think a bright boy like me would do that if it was possible. Somehow, the sewer pipe ID is bigger than that fitting I'm using. But you are correct, usually I'd just screw it in. 

I have with me a foam rubber adapter that I could have used. But it's raining and I needed a project......I'm sure you know how that is :-)

I had to ask , as the first pic seems to show the adapter misaligned .

And ,  I happen to be real good at inventing projects . LOL

Goes around , comes around .

19 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

I had to ask , as the first pic seems to show the adapter misaligned .

And ,  I happen to be real good at inventing projects . LOL

That fitting looks cross threaded in there to me but what the hay...It was raining

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, Pat & Pete said:

Why don't you simply screw the end fitting into the sewer pipe , like it's meant too ? 

In close to 8 years of full timing , I've never had a hose not stay where it was suppose to be .

We certainly haven't visited the same CG's then.  I am going to estimate that 3 out of 10 of the places we drop a sewer hose into have a connection that is stripped out and my fitting won't screw in tight.  Heck, the $1,200 a month resort we are in currently is like that.  

I'm going to Tractor Supply today and getting at least one sand bag.  What a great idea, thanks for sharing!

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

On 2/16/2018 at 12:45 PM, Pat & Pete said:

Why don't you simply screw the end fitting into the sewer pipe , like it's meant too ? 

In close to 8 years of full timing , I've never had a hose not stay where it was suppose to be .

We visit a lot of state parks, and those with sewer connections tend to use the "dump station" style brass flip up covers. The covers themselves are sometimes enough to keep the elbow in place, but not always...

Dutch

I couldn't get the pic I had to post, but ours was 2 - 2 lbs. weights with a strap between them (denim I got from WM for $.50). Sewed the 3 " wide strap around the weights in the area where the hands hold the weights. Hung it over the top of the sewer elbow. Easy to transport. We used it for 13 years of FT living. I had to replace the denim once due to age.  

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

3 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

We certainly haven't visited the same CG's then.  I am going to estimate that 3 out of 10 of the places we drop a sewer hose into have a connection that is stripped out and my fitting won't screw in tight.  Heck, the $1,200 a month resort we are in currently is like that.  

I'm going to Tractor Supply today and getting at least one sand bag.  What a great idea, thanks for sharing!

I suspect you're right . We like the well cared for Mom & Pop places . 

3 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

We visit a lot of state parks, and those with sewer connections tend to use the "dump station" style brass flip up covers. The covers themselves are sometimes enough to keep the elbow in place, but not always...

The only place I've seen the brass flip caps are at  COE park dump stations . Generally , all very nice parks .

And , the caps do seem to be enough to hold the elbow . 

Edit : I should have said 'predominately at COE park ' ... I do recall a few other park stations that have them also .

Myakka River State Park, Sarasota, FL has the dump station style brass caps on the site sewer connections as do a number of other state parks in various states we've visited. Even the caps at dump stations sometimes seem to be worn enough that they don't stay in place well on the elbow.

Dutch

Many times the CG hook up will have dirt/sand in the threads.  Keep an old toothbrush in your sewer storage area to clean the threads and then screw in. Works for me. Take another look at OPs pics especially the threads on the plug.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

3 hours ago, orca said:

If there is a posibility of the elbow comeing out while dumping i just use my wife's foot!  She is always wanting to help anyway!:)

20 minutes ago, rm.w/aview said:

Heck, as long as she's going to be standing out there, have her hold the rabbit ears for the television too :)

You don't want to look in the mirror boys....because the Me-Too ladies are have a laser- dot aimed between your eyes....you boys are toast....

Drive on......(watch where the DW puts her foot....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

6 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

You don't want to look in the mirror boys....because the Me-Too ladies are have a laser- dot aimed between your eyes....you boys are toast....

Drive on......(watch where the DW puts her foot....)

In light of the current me too situation the position has been re-named from "sewer pig" to "Executive Director of Waste Management with a commensurate raise in monitary compensation.

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

Just now, orca said:

In light of the current me too situation the position has been re-named from "sewer pig" to "Executive Director of Waste Management with a commensurate raise in monitary compensation.

As the former director of baggage management (and slave-pilot) I well understand the substitution of higher title in place  of higher tax-bracket potential.........besides many folks just get in more and more trouble as the pay grades raise ...........of course sometimes having the title of POTUS can go to ones head at times (or over ones head)........,

Drive on........(Proper waste management is a good thing,,,,,,,,)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

On 2/22/2018 at 9:47 AM, rockintom said:

I couldn't get the pic I had to post, but ours was 2 - 2 lbs. weights with a strap between them (denim I got from WM for $.50). Sewed the 3 " wide strap around the weights in the area where the hands hold the weights. Hung it over the top of the sewer elbow. Easy to transport. We used it for 13 years of FT living. I had to replace the denim once due to age.  

Thanks! Added to our tools.

Archived