Winegard antenna power switch

rickeieio

I have a 2008 Newmar X-Aire and cannot locate the antenna power switch.  DW really want's to watch tv.  Can someone give me clue where to look?  I have a highly regarded RV tech working on it, and even he is stumped.

Newmar was no help, tried that.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

If you mean the power to the antenna preamplifier, then you should find it near the end of the TV cable. 

41PXWkLJe4L._AC_US327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

The booster is the push button and the small dot is a red led to the left of the switch. If there is no power to the that switch, then you will need to trace back to find the 12V-dc power supply. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A friend of mine had the same trouble and for some reason it was mounted in a corner of a closet. We went nuts looking for it.  Who knows why other than it was almost directly under the antenna.  It will look like a solid switch plate with a small green light and black button.   Most also have 12v  cigarette type lighter plug.

Yup, we have looked in every closet, cabinet, etc, in the entire coach.  Nothing that looks like that switch.  We were told that perhaps it has a 12v outlet like a cigar lighter. Nothing like that either.

Odd thing is, the tv has worked in the past, but now it doesn't recognize an antenna.  Antenna has no power to it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

2 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

Have you checked the 12 volt fuse for that circuit?

Yes, we did.  Of course we found nothing amiss. That's what makes this so baffling. We didn't find a separate fuse for that function, so it must be piggybacked to something else.

But, it did dawn on me this evening, if we had a tone generator, we might be able to hook it to the antenna wire on the roof and trace it backward to the amplifier..........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

In some older units, the Bunch-of-Buttons box supplies the power to the antenna.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

10 hours ago, rickeieio said:

That's what makes this so baffling. We didn't find a separate fuse for that function, so it must be piggybacked to something else.

Do you have the typical Winegard batwing antenna?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just for some more info on this mystery. We looked just about every where one could think about it.

I do have tech support number for Newmar, but they had no clue where it was at. The support tech there asked several other techs there and still at a loss.

Now there was at least one other owner of this unit before that apparently changed tv's and or eliminated the switch box that may have powered the antenna. There are 4 tv locations in this unit. There are three tv's installed at the present time.

So today I will dig out my tone generator and start tracing where the antenna wire may go.

But that clue to look into the front closet may just mite prove worhwhile.

Also is there simple 110 vac to 12vdc power supply to install into the system. There is what looks like a splitter for the antenna that is attached to a switch plate by the bedroom tv in a closet. Then there is a 110 vac outlet below it.

Thanks for all the input ,.  Vern

Yes, it's the bat wing type antenna.  We have looked in, under, and around every closet, cupboard and crack, to no avail.  Perhaps we need a brighter flashlight, or younger eyes.:o

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

In our previous coach, the power injector was facing down under an overhead cabinet near the front. In our current coach, the injector is mounted inside a small cabinet over the dash in the top. In a friend's coach, we found it behind the front TV. I think RV manufacturers have entire design teams dedicated to finding the least likely locations to install them... :rolleyes::D

On edit: I should add that our current coach also has a dedicated dash switch that turns the 12-volt supply to the injector on and off, so we seldom have to do anything with the injector itself.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Found it.  Vern's (aka "wrknrvr") da man. 

There is a little black do-hickey in the "entertainment" center which plugs into a 110v outlet and has two antenna ports.  Apparently, at some point, some doofus (me) had unplugged it to use the outlet for phone/iPad charging. Vern took a picture of it and will send it to Kirk.

I suppose the previous owners of the rig, in adding various gadgets, had removed the original booster and put in this thing.  There's a lot of unknown wiring, including many Scotch-locs, crammed into various spaces.  I suspect much of it can be removed, but it will require the careful use of something like a tone generator to decide what stays and what gets canned.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Archived