Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HomeSweetRV

Slides

Recommended Posts

We see a lot of class A RVers opening and closing their slides with no doors or windows open for air compression. Is this a precursor to failing seals? We were told to always have the door and a window open when opening and closing slides. I can't find any info online to confirm this. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I park mine and leave the motor running while I auto level. I then turn off the motor and go outside to plug into shore power and hook up the water and sewer without the slides out yet so I don’t have to bend over and/or hit my head and back on the extended slide out. Then I go inside and extend my slides. Never had any problems.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used slides for 16+ years and did not make it a point to open a door/window to do so.  Never had a problem and never heard of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We noticed a difference in the ease of movement when the door was open on our Winnebago Class A. Maybe Winnebago builds tighter than some other manufacturers?

Linda Sand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 The Owners Manual states that a window or door be open to account for the pressure change so in inclement weather the jalousie window will be opened or, as is predominantly done, the door will be opened. The manual states that window seals are vulnerable to this pressure or vacuum effect when sliding in or out. Perhaps there's an unawareness on the RV owners part of these consequences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps some RV's are air tight enough and the slides move in and out fast enough so that opening a window would make the process smoother or easier.  However, anyone who is familiar with how the slide seals are built and mounted knows that the process will have no ill effect on them either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant imagine that the slide seals are that air tight when moving that they will not allow for air to equalize when slides are moving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rpsinc said:

I cant imagine that the slide seals are that air tight when moving that they will not allow for air to equalize when slides are moving.

Obviously , you've never had a unit of high enough quality ... LOL  Just kidding , of course . 

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

Perhaps some RV's are air tight enough and the slides move in and out fast enough so that opening a window would make the process smoother or easier.  However, anyone who is familiar with how the slide seals are built and mounted knows that the process will have no ill effect on them either way.

That^ is true .

Edited by Pat & Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

 The Owners Manual states that a window or door be open to account for the pressure change so in inclement weather the jalousie window will be opened or, as is predominantly done, the door will be opened. The manual states that window seals are vulnerable to this pressure or vacuum effect when sliding in or out. Perhaps there's an unawareness on the RV owners part of these consequences.

Thank you. DH says it's just the law of physics. My thing is sharing helpful info with other RVers. DH feels it would come across as nosey neighbour none of my business. He would only mention to them if they ended up in a conversation with them and the topic came up! Argh Venus and mars thing. Thanks for your confirmation that this is an issue! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rpsinc said:

I cant imagine that the slide seals are that air tight when moving that they will not allow for air to equalize when slides are moving.

We don't have to imagine, we can ask the manufacturer, or look in the owners manual.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HomeSweetRV said:

 My thing is sharing helpful info with other RVers. DH feels it would come across as nosey neighbour none of my business. He would only mention to them if they ended up in a conversation with them and the topic came up! Argh Venus and mars thing.

It can be as easy as adding it to the conversation that starts with, "Wow, nice rig! I really like that...yada yada yada. My, that's a pretty big slide. Do you leave a window or door open when operating it?" As RVers we generally like to help or be of use to each other, much like this forum, and with that conversation on slides the help might be for both the current and future owner of that RV. As a guy, I get the view of your DH but, as my DW will tell you, if I see something harmful I'll stew over a way to be helpful tactfully. After all, I have the time :)

Edited by rm.w/aview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HomeSweetRV said:

We don't have to imagine, we can ask the manufacturer, or look in the owners manual.

 

I know that the slide comes in easier when that large volume of air has some place to flow to.  I know it is a small amount, but why not make things easier for the equipment? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

I know that the slide comes in easier when that large volume of air has some place to flow to.  I know it is a small amount, but why not make things easier for the equipment? 

X2. Ours was a super slide so that might also be part of the reason ours preferred to have the door open--larger slide creates more vacuum?

Linda Sand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our slide didn't 'balk' at coming in without a window open, but rather the 'ride' in was smoother without the sound of the air trying to escape.   Don't know if it makes a difference if the slide is hydraulic (which our big slide is) or not.  Never worry about the smaller bedroom slide (electric) as there is a lot of 'room' around it as it is moved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our slides were rack and pinion so perhaps there is a difference.  I tried Googling this issue and found nothing on doing the procedure.  I don't doubt it worked for you better but in all our years I've never heard it mentioned around the campfire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our big slide rides over the carpet coming in and the seals on the sides are tight.  Techs at factory reiterated what the dealer had said to me that I should open a window  for the big slide when bringing it in.  Going out isn't much of a problem and almost always the door is open (screen closed) for that one as it is all part of the 'set-up' we go through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2018 at 8:06 AM, chirakawa said:

Perhaps some RV's are air tight enough and the slides move in and out fast enough so that opening a window would make the process smoother or easier.  However, anyone who is familiar with how the slide seals are built and mounted knows that the process will have no ill effect on them either way.

Be that as it may, I never go with the "Oh, it'll be all right," approach on anything, To paraphrase a friend, what the f is your money worth?

Can you afford the worst case scenario? If not, a cautious approach is best.  Once crap happens, it's too late.

Edited by OldMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Wow....must be playing left field today.......

I always do. My life, my choice. You seem upset about it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×