Slides

HomeSweetRV

I park mine and leave the motor running while I auto level. I then turn off the motor and go outside to plug into shore power and hook up the water and sewer without the slides out yet so I don’t have to bend over and/or hit my head and back on the extended slide out. Then I go inside and extend my slides. Never had any problems.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Perhaps some RV's are air tight enough and the slides move in and out fast enough so that opening a window would make the process smoother or easier.  However, anyone who is familiar with how the slide seals are built and mounted knows that the process will have no ill effect on them either way.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 hour ago, rpsinc said:

I cant imagine that the slide seals are that air tight when moving that they will not allow for air to equalize when slides are moving.

Obviously , you've never had a unit of high enough quality ... LOL  Just kidding , of course . 

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

Perhaps some RV's are air tight enough and the slides move in and out fast enough so that opening a window would make the process smoother or easier.  However, anyone who is familiar with how the slide seals are built and mounted knows that the process will have no ill effect on them either way.

That^ is true .

Goes around , comes around .

2 hours ago, rm.w/aview said:

The Owners Manual states that a window or door be open to account for the pressure change so in inclement weather the jalousie window will be opened or, as is predominantly done, the door will be opened. The manual states that window seals are vulnerable to this pressure or vacuum effect when sliding in or out. Perhaps there's an unawareness on the RV owners part of these consequences.

Thank you. DH says it's just the law of physics. My thing is sharing helpful info with other RVers. DH feels it would come across as nosey neighbour none of my business. He would only mention to them if they ended up in a conversation with them and the topic came up! Argh Venus and mars thing. Thanks for your confirmation that this is an issue! 

3 hours ago, HomeSweetRV said:

We don't have to imagine, we can ask the manufacturer, or look in the owners manual.

I know that the slide comes in easier when that large volume of air has some place to flow to.  I know it is a small amount, but why not make things easier for the equipment? 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

I know that the slide comes in easier when that large volume of air has some place to flow to.  I know it is a small amount, but why not make things easier for the equipment? 

X2. Ours was a super slide so that might also be part of the reason ours preferred to have the door open--larger slide creates more vacuum?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Our slide didn't 'balk' at coming in without a window open, but rather the 'ride' in was smoother without the sound of the air trying to escape.   Don't know if it makes a difference if the slide is hydraulic (which our big slide is) or not.  Never worry about the smaller bedroom slide (electric) as there is a lot of 'room' around it as it is moved.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Our slides were rack and pinion so perhaps there is a difference.  I tried Googling this issue and found nothing on doing the procedure.  I don't doubt it worked for you better but in all our years I've never heard it mentioned around the campfire.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Our big slide rides over the carpet coming in and the seals on the sides are tight.  Techs at factory reiterated what the dealer had said to me that I should open a window  for the big slide when bringing it in.  Going out isn't much of a problem and almost always the door is open (screen closed) for that one as it is all part of the 'set-up' we go through. 

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 2/16/2018 at 8:06 AM, chirakawa said:

Be that as it may, I never go with the "Oh, it'll be all right," approach on anything, To paraphrase a friend, what the f is your money worth?

Can you afford the worst case scenario? If not, a cautious approach is best.  Once crap happens, it's too late.

Archived