1st Volvo Dealer Service Experience - Tucson

chooseopen

Hi Guys,

I finally decided to put my truck in for service.  As you know, I have been chasing the fuel system issue (losing prime) and have an oil leak that seems to be getting worse.   I have bought parts from the Volvo dealers, but never had me truck in for service.  The dealership near me right now is Vanguard in Tucson, AZ.

I anticipated that the repair bill would be high, and Volvo didnt disappoint!!!  $6,100 bucks.   Luckily, I have plenty of money in my repair fund, and I am also quite handy and able to fix the easy stuff.  I asked them to diagnose the fuel prime issue and the oil leak issue and they came back with:

1.  Fuel pump replacement

2. Fuel filter housing replacement 

3. Dreaded D12 injector harness replacement (they want to do the full harness, but I am inquiring about the harness splice kit option)

4. Front timing cover gasket ($40 part but $725 in labor!!!)

For anyone curious, here is their quote:

h_1518720170_1341475_c1b0549b34.png

Anyways, I have not approved the repairs yet.  I will probably wait on some stuff.  That timing cover leak is sooo small it doesnt justify spending $800 to fix it.  Also the oil filler tube is a simple o-ring.

2007 Volvo VNL670, Singled, Air ride hitch

I took our 2001 Volvo to Silver Eagle Truck Repair in Tucson last winter and was quite pleased with the work and the cost.  I don't know a lot about diesels, and  thought I should replace some parts before heading to Alaska for the summer.  They looked it over and advised me that I did not need to replace those parts.  They could have easily made more money off me, but they elected to do the right thing.

When I was looking around, I chose them because of the good reviews I read online. 

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

I don't think we needed any work that required software.  Maybe I won't always be able to return to them for all our work.  I am planning on taking it into them in the next month or so for an oil change and to look things over again.  It worked last year.  Tucson to Alaska and back with no truck issues at all. 

If you are in Tucson and want to meet up, let me know.  We are at Voyager on the SE side of town until at least March 30.  

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

I am with Jim. Unless it absolutely MUST be done by a dealer, do everything you can at a recommended shop. And once found they are golden. Go out of your way to get back to them. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Oh cool.  We are on the west side on some BLM land called Snyder Hill.

Maybe I will call back Silver Eagle now that the folks at Volvo have done the diagnostic work.  I tend to agree that anyone should be able to change a fuel pump...

I took my truck to W.W. Williams in Tuscon back in January and I thought they did a good job. I had a bunch of stuff done and they even cut me a break on some of the labor. They specialized in Detroit motors although most of my work was just big truck work. They had a little of everything in their shop, so they didn't seem picky about what they worked on.  

I stayed at Synder Hill a few days there myself. Did you enter the BLM Land on the first entrance right off S. San Joaquin Rd after you leave hwy 86? That seemed to be the best way to get in with the HDT and large 5th wheel.  

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

10 hours ago, beemergary said:

I just replaced the check valves in my Cat fuel pump. $30.00 in parts and an hr. time. I think they wanted $380.00 just for pump and said not worthwhile to rebuild. Lots of fuel and air and  just need O-Rings. Sounds like they wanted to throw parts at you.

It is people like you that get me into trouble with the wife!  I will end up buying hundreds of dollars in tools, taking apart the truck, and then stranding us on this BLM land when I can't put it back together, lol.

13 hours ago, BlueLghtning said:

I stayed at Synder Hill a few days there myself. Did you enter the BLM Land on the first entrance right off S. San Joaquin Rd after you leave hwy 86? That seemed to be the best way to get in with the HDT and large 5th wheel.  

If you were here recently, then you probably know that the road construction has made entering tricky.  They have re-graded the drainage ditches which makes it very easy to bottom out the rig.   I actually entered about 3/4 of the way down the block and then basically did a u-turn once on the property.  The past two days it has been rainy here, so those ditches are getting pretty tricky to navigate now with our toad!  I am sure it will dry up before I need to pull the rig out.

So after a bit of back and forth with the dealer, I decided to wait on the injector harness replacement.  It took them like 2 business days to answer my inquiry about using the harness splice kit instead or replacing the whole harness.  They act like they have never heard of it and said my only options were the temporary sealing procedure or the whole harness.  

Anyways, I approved the work on the fuel system even though it seems a bit pricey.  That should hopefully get my truck back to where I don't have to prime it every morning!

Sorry, I'm posting this late.  I think I posted on your other thread regarding the fuel system.

I'm getting real concerned with these companies that charge you a lot ($264) to "check and advise" you on problems that you are having, when during part of the so called "check" there should be discovery about what the culprit really is.  It sounds like they are just throwing parts at it, and that really sucks!

Don't know the dealer you have, but my experience with the dealer in the Kansas City area, was horrible!  Charging me for "checking it out" and spent all of 20 minutes and claiming it was an A/C expansion valve and that it and all the lines going to it needed to be replaced!  Of course during all of this replacement, they would end up replacing the o-ring that was the real problem!  I didn't have them do the work and waited until I got to a dealer I could trust.   I actually stood there while he was working on it, and we had a great conversation.

This is an ideal place to have one of those "investigative reporters" do something on these dealers.  Way too easy for them to actually fix the issue, while they are replacing all the unneeded expensive parts, just to be able to charge their labor rates.

After my Kansas issue, I now ask what they are going to check and in what order to solve my problem.  Through this forum we get enough suggestions as to what the problem might be, that we can dictate to them what to check for.  The only "tool" that was used in Kansas to check my problem was a flashlight, so they could see where the leak was.

These are high profit centers for these dealers, and the bs that is shoveled gets pretty high sometimes.  We sometimes need to just say, no way!

I hope your issues are done after you get it back.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Yeah I totally agree.  The diagnostic charges leave a bad taste in my mouth.  And I am certain that I am paying out the rear for a fuel pump and fuel filter housing.  But... If it fixes the problem I am OK with it.   Where it really starts to suck is if the problem persists after my wallet is drained, lol.

11 hours ago, chooseopen said:

It is people like you that get me into trouble with the wife!  I will end up buying hundreds of dollars in tools, taking apart the truck, and then stranding us on this BLM land when I can't put it back together, lol.

Don't have a lot of $$ in tools but need my wife to watch me take something apart and tell me how to put it back together. Liked to be challenged and somewhat of a Cheapo. Enjoy learning how things work. Have had a few play toys and still do but really enjoy my Peterbilt 359. My love for big trucks stated in the late 50's early 60's and just took 50 yrs. to be HDT

I wish you luck! It sucks when you are at the mercy of a “stealership”! Fuel systems are extremly hard to troubleshoot correctly and thoroughly.  It’s so easy to throw expensive parts at it!

What evidence was given to you after $264 in troubleshooting that both the fuel pump and fuel filter housing were bad?  

In my opinion almost all the things listed can be done by an independent diesel shop. We run 6 semi trucks  aged from 1990 to 2014. KW Pete and Freightliners. They never ever ever go to the dealer. Once the warranty was up anything we cant do ourselves goes elsewhere. Their shop rates are waaaay too high. They may not be able to do the wiring harness. If Volvo is anything like mack (Mack owned by Volvo) independent shops either cant afford the software or don't have access to it. Then you have to go to the dealer. I had a Mack and nobody could read the codes except a mack dealer.

On 2/16/2018 at 8:39 AM, chooseopen said:

You don't need a ton a expensive tools. 99% of the hand tools on our service truck are from harbor freight.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I also agree that an independent shop should always be the first choice, when available and when proprietary computer software is not required (which it usually is not).  However, I take a differing view on diagnostic fees. Properly done, diagnosis is valuable. and it takes time. Why would someone expect a mechanic to spend two hours diagnosing a problem for free? Sorry, but I don't buy it. However, too many shops do just throw parts at the issue, so it is something to watch for.

As for the fuel prime issue.....that can be VERY hard to figure out. Good luck on the resolution....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Not to be a smart butt but-fuel pumps and primer pumps have'"Check Valves" There what gives the fuel direction (can only go one way). You could also have a bad gasket or O-Ring leaking (getting air) and syphoning back from getting air. I ve even put check valves in air lines to eliminate a find a problem. Diesels and air systems are really way more simple than they look.  

I got my truck back today!!!  My experience picking up the truck took 3 hours.  The truck was ready, but they were getting the paperwork and invoice ready and apparently just forgot about me in the Driver's Lounge.  I got to hang out with the other drivers and catch up on my Jerry Springer!

I was pleasantly surprised though the final bill was $400 cheaper than quoted.  On the final bill the 'diagnostic fee' was changed to $130 each and the 'shop fees' were reduced. 

So in the end it took 6 days and $1600 to replace the fuel pump and the fuel filter housing/primer assembly. (Sigh)  I am just glad it is over.

Archived