Replacing Steer Tires

SuiteSuccess

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Brad,

No way I would do it myself.  My back and I already don’t have a good relationship.  Don’t want to p**s it off anymore.

Hi Carl,

My back and me have a good understanding with my wallet. Earlier this year I had one of my grandsons over helping me split wood. We were using a log splitter and he was the muscle behind picking up the wood. 

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I removed my 8 old retread drives and installed 8 new Sailun S637's by myself.......actually my 2 sons showed up for tires 7 and 8 and I was glad to see them.  They were pretty amazed at the relative ease of dismounting and mounting the tires.  These boogers are heavy, though.   I had a Cheeta air tank but the beads seated on all 8 tires without it.   I installed Centramatics on all 4 rear positions, so I didn't  worry about balancing.  it is possible for one person to dismount and mount these tires but I would recommend having someone to help you if you decide to go the DIY route.  I am happy with the Sailun S637's that I got from my local tire wholesaler. I was 69 when I installed these tires and if I age them out in 8 to 10 years, I dont hink i will tackle them by myself when I'm that much older.  If I make it that far, who knows what a crazy old coot might do ??      Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Charlie;

You bragging or complaining?

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

On 2/16/2018 at 7:29 AM, rickeieio said:

You can change the steers with no tools other than a jack, a couple of good tire irons and some tire soap. No impacts, no torque multipliers, no problem.

Check YouTube for how to change big tractor tires.  Same deal.  Just be sure to put something in place to prevent scratching the rim.  A piece of milk jug works fine.

So I took your advice, jacked up the tractor, and started prying.  She popped off, but now what?? ;):P  Maybe I can fix it with some ether and a match. ^_^

pcjw1fWl.jpg "border=0
m3zZPvb.pngClick For Full-Size Image.

Well, there are exceptions......

Looks like the Cat has some final drive issues?  What model might it be?  I don't have any tracked machines.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I bought 2 Bridgestone steer tires a couple week ago from Simpletire online, got it in 4 days after ordering. Shipped by FedEx from Florida to Virginia. Got a local shop install it. The hard part is to find a local shop install it. Love travel plaza in the Southeast of the US is part of their install network. You can find which shop and had it ship to them. The tire is within a year old which is common.

Volvo VNL610 M11+ 98 10 speed
Mountain Aire 40' 5th 2002
Outback Power, 1200 watts Sanyo panels

Archived