Replacing Steer Tires

SuiteSuccess

Replacing my Toyo M177 steer tires due to age.  Size is 295/75/R22.5.  Finding better deals online than locally.  Anyone have any dealings with places like Simple Tire, Direct Tire, etc. and were you pleased?  Any pushback getting them mounted and balanced locally and usual cost for that?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I ordered my Sailun S637's from simple tire and had a great experience and got tires less than 6 months old for a very fair price, but that was 16" tires vs 22.5. Discount tire mounted those for me no issues.

I found some great deals on the truck tires I want to order for my truck, but being on the road, I'm struggling on where to have them shipped and who can put them on. I don't know how tire places would handle that. I was hoping to find a small mom & pop shop to ship them to and put them on. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

Carl,  ask a couple of the local businesses who they use.  Since you aren't full timing, having a relationship with a local shop has value beyond the best price.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Who will put on the tires once they arrive? What's the shipping cost. They are not light weight. Your local dealer may want your take offs. I don't use Amazon and refrain from most online shopping, unless the shop that should have items in stock says " we can order that in for you". 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

To all.  I have a good relationship with a local tire shop where I have done business for sixteen years.  Just raised the question because the pricing on the same tires was over $200 difference.  Also the places like Simple Tire ship for free.  Never bought on line but was just inquiring what was involved.

David, since I’m retired I keep a closer watch on my mason jars. I watch my truck and trailer budget since we part time and as you are aware I’ve invested and going to invest a few jars where I shouldn’t have to.

DesertMiner, try to not be locked into anything but I’ve had good success with the Toyos.  Have priced other second tier tires and are comparable in price locally.  Again since we part time I don’t feel I want or need first tier such as Michelin or Goodyear.  I will age out the tires before I wear them out.  My drives are Goodyear but I got a good deal on them compared to second tiers three years ago.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl,  the idea of recapturing the price of the take offs has merit. Better to put that in said mason jar than to give them to charity, no matter how deserving......;)

Unless you're coming to MATS.  I could meet you there.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Local always gives better service and value in the end IMHO for tires anyway   

Try talking to them tell them you found a better price maybe they will work with you a bit if not match. Maybe help in install and balance costs that they control. 

Also recovered $ towards tires from my takeoffs  

I found we come to a good compromise most the time. 

Our local tire store if he carries what I want will work with me and if I have any issues at all they stand behind them  

I have bought the GY G114 and brought to them with no issue as they don’t sell them and to get them they pay more than I got them for   

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

I have bought from most of the online tire dealers.  The only one I am hesitant to do business with again is Tire Rack.  Customer service tried their best to blame their shipping error on me.

I mount my own tires, so I go for the lower cost of the online tires. Still need to shop around though, bought some tires last fall, that a local dealer was able to get me for quite a bit less than online, even with the 3% tax surcharge of buying in the local cities.

The downside is that your UPS/Fed EX guy may not like you for a while.

If memory serves me right, changing truck tire rather simple,  if you have a spoon. Was lot easier than a ldt tire. More rubber to work with. Now lifting it on and off truck, breaking lugs, tighten lugs, I will pay to have this done.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

If you have a tire shop you deal with, it may be a good idea to ask them as Billr mentioned.  I was looking at some Sailun tires online and told my tire shop what I could get them for and he matched the price.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

My tire shop won’t rebuy past seven years.  

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

5 hours ago, GlennWest said:

If memory serves me right, changing truck tire rather simple,  if you have a spoon. Was lot easier than a ldt tire. More rubber to work with. Now lifting it on and off truck, breaking lugs, tighten lugs, I will pay to have this done.

Would something like the below allow you to change your own tires?

Click Here for the link to Northern Tools jacking car dolly.

37809_2000x2000.jpg

Jim
Noob entertaining the idea of an HDT and 5'ver.
I like big trucks and I cannot lie...  :)

You can change the steers with no tools other than a jack, a couple of good tire irons and some tire soap. No impacts, no torque multipliers, no problem.

Check YouTube for how to change big tractor tires.  Same deal.  Just be sure to put something in place to prevent scratching the rim.  A piece of milk jug works fine.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Carl,

If you have a good relationship with your local guy just get the best deal he will give and pay the bill. remove the hassle, drop the truck off and then go to breakfast. when you get back it will be done. I would not even consider changing one of those things myself. They are heavy, I don't have the tools and the aching afterwards puts the task out of the question.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

14 minutes ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Carl,

If you have a good relationship with your local guy just get the best deal he will give and pay the bill. remove the hassle, drop the truck off and then go to breakfast. when you get back it will be done. I would not even consider changing one of those things myself. They are heavy, I don't have the tools and the aching afterwards puts the task out of the question.

Brad

Brad,

No way I would do it myself.  My back and I already don’t have a good relationship.  Don’t want to p**s it off anymore.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived