Vegas Teacher

Has anybody ever worked on getting the amount of road noise reduced in the cab of the truck? There are 100 things I want to do on the truck over the next few years but, this is one of the things I am looking at. 

Has anybody used this product:

https://www.bigrigchromeshop.com/ultra-sound-deadening-and-insulation-hushmat-p-15472.html#.WoRdza6nEdU

Back in the stereo world we used dynmat to keep sound in the car and vibrations from the lower bass frequencies from rattling things loose. The upshot was it also quieted the ride.

Anyway just asking.

When I had the C5 Corvette, I installed "Frost King" insulation on the flooring.  I installed "Reflectix" over the tunnel.  Both helped.

The Frost King helped to quiet the inside some.  It was enough to be noticeable.

The Reflectix over the tunnel helped to cut down heat from the exhaust that ran under that area.  Things would get hot in the center console compartment.  After installing the Reflectix, it was a noticeable difference.

Frost King Insulation - Click here for Home Depot link.

Reflectix - Click here for Home Depot link.
Reflectix - Click here for Amazon link.

Jim
Noob entertaining the idea of an HDT and 5'ver.
I like big trucks and I cannot lie...  :)

O.k. so here is what I am thinking of putting down first https://www.amazon.com/050220-Spray-Deadening-Unwanted-Vibration/dp/B001URKV0G it is a  spray on sound dampener. The cost is 14.00 a can and covers about 20 square feet. I read on a different web site that it is dry to the touch in 20 minutes, paint in 6 hours. So my plan is to, take the flooring up possibly remove the chairs and spray the interior of the cab including the fire wall. Let it dry over night then the next day add in the sound deadening materials, I have always been if a little is good a lot is better, that is kind of what got me into the mess of buying a semi in the first place LOL!!!

Also as far as the box for the Generator let me know what you guys are doing. I need something to put over mine, but I am worried about ventilation and heat build up working against me.

Later,

Vegas Teacher. 

It's pricey, but I think you would be happy with the dynamat products you used back in your audio days.  On my last dually I had plans to do some audio, lighting, etc,. so when I got the truck I completely stripped the interior and got to work with the dynamat and prewiring.  I used dynamat extreme on every sheet metal surface I could find.  Floors, exterior door skins, pillars, back wall, firewall, everything but the roof (didn't trust my interior skills enough to muck with the headliner).  Then stuck all the scraps to whatever little bits of surface that was left.  Then I used dynaliner between the door panels and door structure, and behind any other interior panels.  I never did get as much audio done as I expected, but the thing was amazingly quiet inside.  For normal driving conditions literally the loudest thing on the truck was the wind whispering against the glass.  Actually kind of worried me how quiet it was, couldn't hear ticks and clunks and rattles that I'm programmed to listen for to head off mechanical problems.   I want to say I spent about $500 on the materials, and I would hate to guess what a shop would charge for the labor.  But it sounds like you have that part covered.  I don't know if you have any classic car / hot rod type swap meets out your way, but there is always a vendor at the shows around here that has what seems to be the exact same thing as dynamat (without the name brand) on a huge 4' wide roll and he just cuts off what you need.  And way cheaper.

http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-transportation/automotive-restoration/dynamat-xtreme/

The Kilmat looks like great stuff!

We restored a pickup and sprayed the interior of the cab with rubberized undercoat and put dense carpet underlay over it and that worked well.

With that said, using VT’s idea of spray on deadening, coupled with the Kilmat looks like it may be in our future when the bed gets finished.

That would be a good time to run video and electronic gadget wires and cables.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Been using foam ear plugs for about 30 years. Inexpensive, portable. As a musician I value my hearing. Also cuts way down on fatigue. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

in 35 years of driving rigs, never have i been one that could be called quiet.

even the sound waves go through everything, some by just the vibrations in cab.

but do as much + a bit more. 

as i have teniteas (spelling) ringing in the ears thanks to all that.

you do not want it.

Cory,

There are several brands out there of sound deadening material. They also come in different thickness. The following brand is what I have used on several different projects. It is called ' Rattle Trap '. Take a look on E-Bay for Rattle Trap. The best price came from a place in Ohio. That was over a year ago.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

11 hours ago, CrazyCooter said:

Hey Crazy,

That is the same stuff that I have used for several project with good results. I found it on E-Bay.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Archived