My Build

jenandjon

On 2/17/2018 at 8:09 AM, jenandjon said:

That is where we will be. Eastern Ky. Owsley county. In the Daniel Boone national forest. We were going to head home somewhere around June 22nd 23rd.

We will be heading to the Daniel Boone foeest as well but not until last couple if days in June.  We want to ride the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway some more.  We will stay in Slade KY, through July 5th.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Jon,

I have a question for you. What is the height of the hitch head from the ground up ? If you posted that info earlier, for some reason I missed it. I understand from the guys the numbers are around 47" from the ground to the top of the hitch head.

Keep up the good work,
Al

My ride height is 50 3/4. That's only an inch higher than my pickup rides.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Depends on the pickup. I have a 07 Chevy that rides 49-50 or so. I test drove a dodge and turned it down because it rode too high. Probably would be the 53" or better.

On 2/18/2018 at 10:49 AM, Parrformance said:

We will be heading to the Daniel Boone foeest as well but not until last couple if days in June.  We want to ride the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway some more.  We will stay in Slade KY, through July 5th.

Wanted to let you know my buddies' new park is opening in April, the Ridges at Royal Blue, https://rideroyalblue.com/ridges.cfm. 40 x 80 sites, full hookups, much quieter than Royal Blue down the road. North Cumberland Wildlife Managment Area, Stinking Creek, TN (just south of Jellico on the TN/KY border on I-75

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

On 2/17/2018 at 8:14 AM, jenandjon said:

Got it all hooked up and she rides 3 inches high. The decision to flip the axles has been made. That will raise the camper up 3-4 inches.

I got the fenders back on. All that's left is wiring the lights and trailer plug. I do want to put some kind of receiver hitch on the back. I heard through the grape vine that a few trucks with motor home plates were getting tickets for having no rear bumper. Then I had a brain storm. We took a rear bumper off one of our old straight trucks. I do believe that will work.

I don't know if its just me but I woke up this morning and had the gut feeling that some safety chains would not be a bad idea. From the 5th wheel to the plate. It is bolted down with 12 1/2 inch grade 8 bolts. I doubt its going anywhere. I didn't know if the bolts should go up or down or if it made any difference. So I figured if I put half one way and half the other way people would ask me why I did that. One of coworkers fell for it already. He walks up and asked how come you put half one way and half the other. I looked him right in the eye and said, Just to make you ask questions.

27858928_10154961225836017_3395033983573796231_n.jpg

It is a shame that after installation, you find yourself 3 inches high and now the "fix" is to flip the axles on the trailer. Incidentally that will require that you purchase and auxiliary "hang on" extra step to attach to the bottom most rung of the trailer steps, otherwise taking this first step (up or down) will be a doozy.  I had to flip the axles on my trailer, for a "legitimate reason" and (unless you can do it yourself) it's an expensive fix.

This points again to the lousy quality of the technical information you got from "the experts" or from the manual on how to install this hitch. What the head height will be after installation is the most fundamental aspect of any install and how to achieve this should be clearly spelled out in the installation procedure. Ending up three inches high is not an acceptable "surprise".

All  ETs after "dropping in" end up precisely at 47 inch industry standard from the ground, no fooling around. I have a customer who needs the head to be at 50.5 inches. I sent him prep instructions and when he drops his ET in it will be precisely at 50.5 inches. No surprises. And this is not unique to ETs, a ton of Trailer Savers were installed on trucks over the years and getting the head to sit at the design height is not a problem on those either.

I have lots of friends on this forum and in this industry and "strange info" has filtered in my direction about "challenges" people encounter installing Comfort Ride hitches. Specifically the need for the head to be way high in unloaded position in order to precess the load cells into an operating region. Unlike air bags, load cells are non-linear I am curious how one predicts an operating  range in a non-linear system. I would guess that removing the cells to match the pin load would make things even more "interesting" since you are taking out more of the "initial slack" and dividing it among fewer cells. I'd like to see how one "calculates" where that head will end up in those.

I can not simply "drop in" an ET hitch. The rear end is in the way. I am fully aware of what it takes to flip the axles.

16 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

Wanted to let you know my buddies' new park is opening in April, the Ridges at Royal Blue, https://rideroyalblue.com/ridges.cfm. 40 x 80 sites, full hookups, much quieter than Royal Blue down the road. North Cumberland Wildlife Managment Area, Stinking Creek, TN (just south of Jellico on the TN/KY border on I-75

I will have to check that place out. Shoot we drive right past it every year on the way to pigeon forge. I never had any way to carry our wheelers before.  We always stop at Jellico for a break. There are wheelers running around all over the place.

20 hours ago, lockmup68 said:

Hi Shannon,

P/M sent.

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

4 hours ago, jenandjon said:

I can not simply "drop in" an ET hitch. The rear end is in the way. I am fully aware of what it takes to flip the axles.

Hind site but easier to build extension on back of truck for hitch so it would be correct height.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

At some point in the future I will probably be moving the drive axle ahead and building a custom bed. Leaving room to drop the hitch down. I will not be doing that at this time. I am just leaving it the way it is and putting on a flat bed. I want to get out there and use it. See what other people did. Find out what is going to work for us before I start moving axles and building beds. If I have to flip he axles no big deal. I go buy the saddles and do it myself.

I'm going to take a test run before I do anything.

See if you can find a standard pinbox. That way your kingpin is under the camper. And some of those will get you your 3" easy. My daughters camper has one on it. And she wants me to swap it out for her next month. If it will fix my Heartland, I will be using one also. Not for the height. But to move the camper that much closer to the hitch.

Like the short on here.

faq117_cc_500.jpg

event.png

Got the jackalopee all hooked up and went on a test run. 16 mile round trip into town and back. It rides great. We have some pretty rough bridges out here on our country roads. The trailer didn't hardly bounce at all. Now to get the flat bed on, Generator and get the interior done. At lest I can get the camper  out of the shop and the guys can stop complaining I'm taking up too much room. I told them it aint moving until I have the wiring done lol.

27337100_10154984891091017_6368090394107263885_n.jpg

Work stalled out a little bit this week but I got some more parts together. Got my flat bed and took boxes. If they look like they all came out of a junk yard that's because they did. They look worse than they are. A little welding, polish and paint they will be real nice. One  boxes will house a generator. I bough ta a 4.0 bfa onan generator from the small engine guy in town. Came out of a bus.

6029d1dbc1b9e980e675298f71d28f9d.jpg

I mocked up one of the boxes. This one is going to house the generator. Need to beef up the floor and cut appropriate holes for ventilation and the exhaust pipe. I am afraid its going rattle but should work out.

16bfa2bd535cd2376a3844bdee5446be.jpg

The boxes are 24x24x48. I measured it a dozen times. It will fit in the box with plenty of room to spare. Even with the battery but it will just fit through the door. I will have to remove the air cleaner but that's it. I got the boxes with mounting brackets for $300 apiece from VanderHaags. https://www.vanderhaags.com/index.php

RpTBB2ol.jpg

m58l776l.jpg

Good old gen. How many hours? I am not sure thou if the electric signal is good enough for some of the newer appliances. You may want to do some research.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

4 hours ago, jenandjon said:

They remove the part for you.

Any idea if they allow people in the yard?  I would love to be able to point and say "Those switches, That mirror, that door panel" etc.  Because if something is in better shape than mine, then I'd swap parts around.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

No yu have have to look at the web site they have pretty good pictures. IF there is something you need maybe they can find it for you. They don't let you in the yard.

Archived