Insuring a MDT

Markati

I just purchased a 2010 FL M2 and I am finding that almost all of the companies I have contacted will not write a policy for this vehicle.   I am converting this FL  to pull my soon to be here 5r.  However,  serveral companies will not do an RV policy until the trailer is available and the others just wont write the policy.    This process is becoming a catch 22.  

Any suggestions, other than move out of MI?

Soon To Be Outbound!!!  

IMG_1380.jpg

Try Miller Insurance out of Oregan.  They are a broker and are well versed in RV and large truck policies.  I obtained a policy through them with National General for my 5er and HDT.  Here is their website.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Howdy!

I had our MDT insured with USAA but switched the National General after getting a quote at the Escapade in Vermont. Contact Chris & Charles Yust at 936-425-5041. Their Escapees and save me a lot on my policy coverage for MDT, 5er, Smart Car.

” Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

On 2/12/2018 at 3:31 PM, Chad Heiser said:

Try Miller Insurance out of Oregan.  They are a broker and are well versed in RV and large truck policies.  I obtained a policy through them with National General for my 5er and HDT.  Here is their website.

We also insure ours with Miller....although the number of companies they can write for MDTs are getting scarce.

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

I have talked with over 20 insurance agencies and they all tell me the same thing.  Can't write this policy.  I don't understand why this is a big issue with the insurance companies.  What is the driver behind not insuring the MDT's? 

Soon To Be Outbound!!!  

IMG_1380.jpg

12 hours ago, Markati said:

I have talked with over 20 insurance agencies and they all tell me the same thing.  Can't write this policy.  I don't understand why this is a big issue with the insurance companies.  What is the driver behind not insuring the MDT's? 

I am "hearing" that some commercial drivers are/were trying to skate around paying for a commercial policy and claiming they were using their trucks for pleasure.  To combat this some companies are requiring the coach be included on the same policy.  I don't have any facts to back this up....just conversations with agents.

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

I asked one of the sales people at National General why this is such a hassle get coverage for my truck?  The short answer I got was due to some commercial drivers calling their trucks rv's and getting better rates.   In my case I am not a commercial operator just an ordinary guy trying to find affordable insurance on the truck (and 5r when it gets built).   Then I asked if this is such a big deal with the underwriters, why not just use those plug in vehicle mileage trackers and it would solve that problem.  Now I am sure I am going to get some push-back from some of those on this forum about big-brothers foot print on our backsides.    I told my wife since this insurance issue is taking way to much time and effort to find coverage we should have bought the 5r first and then the truck.  (it's a cart and horse thing)!

Soon To Be Outbound!!!  

IMG_1380.jpg

I put mine through my home insurance. ..but I live in Canada. Some will still insure you as a personal driver on a commercial truck. 

Just as an observation, it is getting harder, not easier to insure these TVs..

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

On 2/13/2018 at 7:33 PM, Markati said:

Have any of the insurers seem your truck or pictures of your truck. I remember that was something Miller asked for, They want pictures of your conversion plan.

No problem but all rolling insurance needs is with them.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I seem to recall that when we insured our truck we had to go with a company that insured the two as a package. Our fifth wheel was purchased first so we already had all of that information for them when we called Miller in Oregon.

I would think once you have the VIN for the new 5er you would be able to do the same. 

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, having just gone through all of this myself.  I found one place that was not insane, and one that was sorta insane against all others that had lost their minds (including Progressive) and pretty much were going to sack us with full commercial type insurance and rates.   

National General got the business, and our policy has our MDT, 5th wheel and our 2 cars on it.  The agent we dealt with asked us what club memberships we had, and as I listed them off, he choose one and used it to secure us a discount large enough to basically keep our rates about the same annually compared to what we had through Geico prior with my Ram 3500.  

We did call others, including Millers.  There is a policy there which I saw mentioned prior, where you must insure the truck and the trailer together, but the gentleman I was speaking to threw up a HUGE red flag.  That is, the truck can not be driven separately from the trailer, and if it were driven separately, and forbid anything happened, the truck would not be insured.  I said that was nuts because for us we will still need to use the truck to get around, run errands, etc.  As I was still going through getting quotes, I went back to National General and asked them that very specific question.  They said no problem, you can drive the truck by itself as much as we want.  

So that's what I found as I went through all this.  Good luck!

2007 Freightliner SportChassis RHA-114

2016 Heartland Road Warrior 420

Archived