hdt help ontario, canada

maverick_935

You will have to swear out an affidavit listing what you have done to convert it to a motor home.  Not a big deal I did it at the licensing office.  I have this list of changes you can make and they were a little particular about the wording on the affidavit.  My list is in the motor home and I can send you a copy later in the week unless hone eagle beats me to it. I am about a half hour north of Toronto and there is another active member near Sault Saint Marie.  There are at least three other trucks in the province I know of.  Several of us will be at the rally in Crossville Tennessee mid April if you are able to attend.  We are not common enough to make Insurance real easy but we can send you to a couple of Brokers that know to get the policies written at a very reasonable rate.  

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

the truck must be a sleeper model .

service ontario refused to climb into the truck "Iam not going way up there" :D 

the web site list what is required ,its the same all over most of north america 

eating ,sleeping, cooking ,washing, heating and cooling ,bathroom  maybe forgot one or two .

then .... pick any 4 of the above.

do you want a link to the service ontario website?   its all there.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Some good info already given. 

To reg as MH in addition to the sworn letter stating what you did in detail to change USE from a Truck to a Motor home you need bill of sale, proof of insurance, and emissions test (if you live in area that requires it for MHs) and a Safety. The safety has to be done at a truck shop just make sure you tell the shop just a safety. No yellow truck sticker. It costs extra and you don’t need it. They may not understand but explain it to them. You will pay same as truck safety less sticker. 

MTO office was no issue  I didn’t even take the truck with me  no pics either    No mention of towing a fifth wheel RV behind or hitch   Just confuses them   Its not that it’s not ok to tow just they don’t get it  

Insurance asked for pics and appraisal  tell them everything what you are doing with it this way no issues down the road  

Cooperators was good   One office in particular has good results with head office 

Most Insurance companys in Ontario say no right away  they don’t wonder very far outside the norm   They balk at Coverted vehicles modified they say and no commercial trucks  then commercial policys no good on MH 

One thing to remember if you go through with MH reg you will not want to be found to not have done the conversion as you swore to  

Same goes for use    Only used as a MH  

Hoping things are still the same and I think they are. Several folks have followed this plan successfully. 

We did ours over 10 yrs ago. We even survived a lousy insurance company dropping us 3 months in due to their misconceptions. Even after giving them everything up front they pulled out later. 

Good luck and if you need more info please PM me 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

http://www.ontariocanada.com/registry/view.do?postingId=6402

while looking for motorhome qualifier ,I ran into this .

Just skimmed it but it seems that the A-R is no longer required? a full G can drive a truck/vehicle pulling over 4600 KG ?

Bill did you know this?

woot woot

The way I interpreted that is pickup truck only towing fifth wheel RV combined must be less than 11,000 kg.  So yes you can have a heavy trailer with a lightweight pick up truck.

Nigel

4 hours ago, Nigel said:

I would like a link if you have it hone eagle.  I don’t think the old one I have works anymore.  I did print it and carry it in the (motor home).  

Nigel

couldn't find it anywhere ,suggest to the OP to google the busconverter or schoolie forums (canada) there are a lot more of them and they must run into this as well.

good luck

woot woot

3 minutes ago, hone eagle said:

couldn't find it anywhere ,suggest to the OP to google the busconverter or schoolie forums (canada) there are a lot more of them and they must run into this as well.

good luck

I’ll pm him a copy when I get to my truck later in the week.  It’s from the link you posted a couple of years ago.

Nigel

Hey Ralph I see Nigel cleared that up. Yup 2011 but good news for LGT towing. 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

On 2/12/2018 at 11:34 AM, hone eagle said:

http://www.ontariocanada.com/registry/view.do?postingId=6402

while looking for motorhome qualifier ,I ran into this .

Just skimmed it but it seems that the A-R is no longer required? a full G can drive a truck/vehicle pulling over 4600 KG ?

Bill did you know this?

Hone Eagle

The one catch is the following snippit.

The Ministry of Transportation is proposing that drivers would be allowed to tow a recreational vehicle (RV) that exceeds 4,600 kg gross weight on a full-G Class driver's licence. The existing combined gross weight limit of 11,000 kg would remain the same. The current licensing requirement for operating such a vehicle combination is Class A.

Our trucks weigh over 11,000 kg when attached to a the majority of our trailers.  If we are not towing, then truck (Motorhome) would fall under the Class G license assuming you have the air brake "Z" endorsement.

So yes A-RZ still required.  Glad I managed to get mine :)

Guess i should have read all the posts (all the way down to the end first) before posting, LOL :)

Steven

I will continue to follow this, i have a particular interest in this story, i will be doing a build in a few years and live South of London ont,  I have much experience with heavy truck, but have been confused by the required liscence, i currently have a DBZ, had an A for quite a few years but let it go,  Also what is exactly is required to convert a highway tractor of the highway to a RV puller ??, Service ontario does not seem to know exactly

looking for direction her

Also what license do i need ?

Thanks Curt

Welcome Curt

The way I interpret the rules for you would be the “D” gets you past the 11000 kg limit if your trailer is less than 4600 kg.  If you want a heavier trailer with a HDT you should have the “A”.  Send me a personal message with your email and I’ll send you the requirements for a motor home in Ontario.  Basically you need four of the usual items and then you swear out an affidavit that there are there.

Nigel

Archived