Drinking Water System Questions

OldMan

14 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Is there a national site or are there only 'by state' sites for  Drinking Water Watch ?

Please post a link .

I believe every state has their own drinking water watch. For example, Google Texas drinking water watch and it will take you to the website. Then type in the name of the town or RV park if it has its own system. 

Rex & Karen

Libre y pobre en La Casa Rodante

7 hours ago, BigTexRex said:

Type  in the name of the town or if the RV park has its own system, the name of the RV park.

I was looking for a rural water district and typing in the name found nothing in the Texas data base.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk Wood said:

I was looking for a rural water district and typing in the name found nothing in the Texas data base.

Sometimes the name is a little different from the city. You can call them up and see what name they use.  For example, a city may be named Rover City, but use "Red Rover" for the water name. Also, sometimes it helps to use only part of the name in the search area.

Rex & Karen

Libre y pobre en La Casa Rodante

On 2/12/2018 at 6:29 AM, BigTexRex said:

If you look at the Drinking Water Watch website, there are several RV parks that are on a boil water notice due to E-coli contamination. I've been to one of the RV parks, but was never informed about the water issue and did not see the notice posted. RV parks are not monitored very well due to the transitory nature of its residents. 

One thing i can confirm, I won't be drinking ANY RV-park water. Uh uh. Bottled water isn't that expensive idf you snag a couple of those five-gallon bottles and use the grocery-store dispenser. Has a health department sticker on it (always check the expiration date) , and my health won 't be at the mercy of zsome 57-year-old meth-head with tracks on his arms and more neck tattoos than teeth. I may even look around and see about some sort of water purification setup for the rig. Clean water is VERY important, as the users of water from the red-flagged parks may well have discovered.

Mah booty hurts just thinking about it.

14 hours ago, OldMan said:

One thing i can confirm, I won't be drinking ANY RV-park water. Uh uh. Bottled water isn't that expensive

AMEN to that and moreso even water sources labeled as "potable" in many Natl Forest and BLM or other remote locations even if the RV has its own onboard filters and purification devices, but I support those who make the choice to trust and rely on filtration and purification devices TO EACH THEIR OWN CHOICES...........

John T 

1 hour ago, oldjohnt said:

AMEN...TO EACH THEIR OWN CHOICES...

John T 

I DO believe those who say the Camco filter is good, and I'll probably start out using them, see where that takes us. But depending on the source, there may be extra bleach added to the water tank to make it safe. Hoping to find a coach already with a 50A service. If I'm  really feeling sketchy, I'll wait, dump the tank and start over.

On 2/14/2018 at 9:35 AM, OldMan said:

I DO believe those who say the Camco filter is good, and I'll probably start out using them, see where that takes us. But depending on the source, there may be extra bleach added to the water tank to make it safe. Hoping to find a coach already with a 50A service. If I'm  really feeling sketchy, I'll wait, dump the tank and start over.

Camco filters are decent, but too expensive and don't last. You really need a multi-stage approach. Go here: www.rvwaterfilterstore.com and there are plenty of articles on filtration. Every ounce of water going into the rig goes through 3 filters: sediment, metal, and charcoal. The coach also had a charcoal filter just for the refrigerator (in addition to the filters in the refrigerator). 

With this setup, (we also have Big Berkey), the water taste is comparable to Berkey. So much so, we put the Berkey away, but keep it for use if needed. When there is no hard water, I take out the metal filter and just run two charcoal filters (in addition to sediment filter). 

Also, don't forget pressure regulator. I love the adjustable regulator. 

Here is my setup before I added the third canister (mounted left front now). All water goes in through the pressure regulator to the filters and then to the coach (city and fresh). 

fFy35NBl.jpg

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

On 2/13/2018 at 3:43 PM, OldMan said:

One thing i can confirm, I won't be drinking ANY RV-park water . . . my health won 't be at the mercy of some 57-year-old meth-head with tracks on his arms and more neck tattoos than teeth.

Not quite that bad, OldMan. If you really believe it's that bad at RV parks, then stick to bottle water because no Camco filter would make that water safe.

On the other hand . . .

Like lockmup68, I also suggest a multi-stage water filtering approach. In my water filter system, incoming water goes through a sediment filter, carbon filter, water softener, and a UV filter before the water enters my RV's tank. After that, I use an under-the-sink RO (Reverse Osmosis) filter for drinking water.

Some more suggestions:

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2018 at 1:22 PM, Kirk Wood said:

The other issue for us is counter space for it. Our downsized RV has little of that to spare. The critical part of water to me is quality coffee! :P

Kirk, for my wife Joy, it's all about the coffee. She uses in both the RV and home a Keurig 2.0 and it kept clogging the needle when using water from the Zero Water filter we also use. After much cleaning and purging using online hints, she called Keurig. They said the Zero Water was causing the problems. Also said not to used water from the softener which when parked at home, it goes through it and then gets the Zero Water filtered. Said to use bottled water - needs the minerals. Since we switched to bottled in the Keurig, no more issues.

Oldman, I like the idea of changing to a better water pump with an accumulator. Our OEM is very noisy, runs whenever use water, and pulsates a bit. And I'm going to look into the Berkey since we both drink lots of water now. And a portable softener would help on maintenance issues, especially the water heater. In only a few trips over 4 months, the element was scaled badly and the anode was 20% used up. Crazy water issues with the RV camping lifestyle.

1st Time RVer 2018 Montana 3791RD, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW

We've used our Zero Water Filter with our Keurig when traveling (6 months) and never have had a problem with the needle clogging.   In the winter we use RO water because the water in Phoenix area is so bad (TSD over 500) that we would go through a Zero Water filter in nothing flat.  We've used the RO water for 6 months here in Phoenix and no problem with the needle.  As a chemist I would love to hear the scientific explanation from the Keurig people for why RO water would cause particulates to accumulate in the needle.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We use zero water in the motorhome and never have issues. In the trailer I've been using RO water for three years (full time) with Keurig pods and have had no issues at all. It makes no sense at all that the Keurig need "minerals". If that was the case then why would you need to descale it routinely?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Barb and Jack, my thoughts exactly. Ours is the 2.0 and it was Joy not me that talked with Keurig. Something about the mineral allowing the coffee in the Kcup to clump and not filter down into the exit needle/tube. It absolutely made no sense to me. I was always of the opinion that soft water - ours is usually 0 grains per gallon - was the best thing for the maker. I know there are instructions about descaling the maker but we have never needed to do that on the older Kcup machines because of soft water. Joy did recently change to a different brand of coffee/Kcup and now using the bottled water we will need to run clean cycles with acid/vinegar/or their special cleaner solution since the bottled water is considerably harder than our well water.

Looking through many threads on filtering water at RV sites and seeing some very impressive and sometimes complex systems, I'm beginning to wonder. How, starting out with 50psi of pressure do those folks have any water pressure left to get utility water to do "stuff"?

Archived