Drinking Water System Questions

OldMan

I Haz Questions:

1. To what extent will I be able to repair the existing water pump? If the motor is strong, the rest of the parts (at least with another Shurflo) appear to be readily available. So, repair or replace? What do you do? I like doing things on the el-cheapo, so for me, repair's a no-brainer. However, the time may come when the pump don't pump (motor) and from what I've been able to tell the motors are not user-replaceable but anyone with experience will know better than I. A replacement, then, is in order and will be ordered or bought (if it fails while we're 'docking at Coyote Howls). Chances are, when we get the rig, I'll install a new pump, rebuild and keep the old one in reserve. Or buy one needing repair (but not the motor) on Ebay and rebuild both units, install the best one and keep the lesser in reserve, as a spare. What do/would you do? Anyone ever replaced the motors? Are they available?

2. Do any of you use an accumulator to smooth out the starts and stops? Seems like it might be worthwhile.

3. How about the inline water filters? These will be must-have for us and several spares will be carried. I figured I'd ask how well they work, and if they make a difference on the taste of certain water supplies (southwestern AZ, anyone?). Even if they don't affect the taste (we WILL have bottled water in the desert), if they keep one insect out of the delivered water (as in tank to faucet) while making it cleaner and clearer, it's another no-brainer. J insists, anyway.

So, hardy road-trippers, what say ye about all these things?

The most common failure items in Shurflo pumps are the diaphragm/valve assembly in the pump head and secondly the pressure switch. Both parts are readily available for most models, but it may make more sense to replace the entire head as a unit if there's any noticeable mineral/iron buildup in the chambers. Motors do fail of course, but that usually calls for a complete replacement pump as the lower cost option over replacing the motor. I replaced a complete pump some years back when a local dealer did not have a repair kit on hand, and later on repaired the old pump to keep on hand as a spare. I've since swapped pump now and then as the "quick fix" for a problem, and then repaired the problem pump when parts were available. Off hand I can't recall ever replacing a pump for anyone where the motor had failed, although I have heard of it happening. I've usually traced a reported failed pump motor to either a failed fuse, a failed pressure switch, or a wire connection failure.

I have a 2-gallon capacity accumulator tank installed, and wouldn't be without it. We often go all night without the pump cycling for the middle of the night bathroom trips.

We also use an inline filter, but it's a whole house style housing with a chlorine and other chemicals reduction filter with a high capacity, not one of the common blue inline filters sold in RV departments.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

1 hour ago, OldMan said:

1. To what extent will I be able to repair the existing water pump?

In most cases, you can repair them. Rebuild kits are readily available for most models of Shur-flow pumps.

1 hour ago, OldMan said:

2. Do any of you use an accumulator to smooth out the starts and stops? Seems like it might be worthwhile.

I have added one to each of our last 3 RVs. It not only makes the pump run less but it will also eliminate the problems that come with the loss of the air bubble normally found in the top of the water heater. 

1 hour ago, OldMan said:

3. How about the inline water filters?

I have used one of those for our RVs for many years. When we were fulltime I kept one of the "whole house" water filters for all or the water than went into our RV but now that we are part-time again we just use the disposable ones from Walmart.

productEZConnect_Dual_Units_295x306.jpg                                                                41L2Xe8v4yL._AC_UL130_.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

A better pump and the accumulator tank are just about necessities.  Any pump is probably better than the Shurflow you have.  Look at  https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/  and I like the Jabsco Paramax line of pumps.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We've been full-timing for over four years and have gone through various filter configurations, but it wasn't until I took a New Mexico state class on water sampling to follow state and federal laws so I could help an RV park maintain their water system, that I fully appreciate how hard it is to remove harmful bacteria from water. E.coli is one of the most difficult bacteria to remove--your filter will have to filter down to .1 micron to remove it. Knowing that, think about RV parks that use a frost-free water faucet. Those tall pipes have a tiny valve at the bottom to drain out water when it's turned off--it also sucks up a small amount of dirt when turned back on. Most of the stand-pipes are near the sewer systems where we've all had accidents with leaked sewage and where people rinse out the sewer hoses.  Spray your RV water connection points with a 90% alcohol solution and let it evaporate before connecting your hose or use a spray that's a FULL bleach solution. Here's what I use--one-micron filter (removes sediment), water softener (removes magnesium and calcium), then a 5 micron block charcoal filter (removes chlorine and other bad tastes/odors). These filters sit outside. We then use the Berkey for our drinking water. You'd be surprised how many RV parks use wells for their water and how badly they're maintained.

Rex & Karen

Libre y pobre en La Casa Rodante

13 hours ago, BigTexRex said:

Spray your RV water connection points with a 90% alcohol solution and let it evaporate before connecting your hose or use a spray that's a FULL bleach solution. Here's what I use--one-micron filter (removes sediment), water softener (removes magnesium and calcium), then a 5 micron block charcoal filter (removes chlorine and other bad tastes/odors). These filters sit outside. We then use the Berkey for our drinking water. You'd be surprised how many RV parks use wells for their water and how badly they're maintained.

We do exactly as Rex does with filtration. We boondock a lot and typically travel with a full fresh water tank. I have no idea what is growing in that tank although we do treat it on ocasion.

Water is filtered twice as it comes into the city fill using two jumbo canisters. 1 for sediment and the next for the nasties. We also have a dedicated cartridge for our ice maker.

The biggest step we took was to filter all of our drinking water through a Berkey which sits on the countertop. Yes it takes up a lot of room but we also drink a lot of water. It is the best tasting water anywhere regardless of what you put through it. It was described to us as what the Peace Corp uses in sub Saharan Africa. You can practically put mud through it and it comes out clean.

I also love the Berkey. It is worth the money if you are a "water person".

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

51 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

It is worth the money if you are a "water person".

I have heard of them but can't say that I have ever seen one. At $228 from the Berkey website, it should be good! While I suppose that there really is a "first time for everything," we have been drinking water nearly everywhere we have traveled, just using a quality sediment filter and a carbon block. With the cost to buy one of those and the cost of replacement filters, I think I could drink bottled water. 

3 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

With the cost to buy one of those and the cost of replacement filters, I think I could drink bottled water. 

You could. But bear in mind most "bottled" water is simply filtered municipal water.

I would not recommend a Berkey unless you are into water.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

8 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

I would not recommend a Berkey unless you are into water.

The other issue for us is counter space for it. Our downsized RV has little of that to spare. The critical part of water to me is quality coffee! :P

3 hours ago, Kirk Wood said:

The other issue for us is counter space for it. Our downsized RV has little of that to spare. The critical part of water to me is quality coffee! :P

X2 on the coffee.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

For sure the size is an issue. I use RO water in my RV. I use a Berkey in our headquarters house where we have lots of space. I have to say, the Berkey produces superior water. Nothing else I've used is close.

www.jackdanmayer.com

19 hours ago, OldMan said:

I Haz Questions:

1. To what extent will I be able to repair the existing water pump?

I carry a spare pump. While they might be repairable, I'd rather attempt repair after my spare is installed.

No. I replaced my ShurFlo (which is now my spare) with an AquaJet -- no need for accumulator.

3. How about the inline water filters?

I use large cartridge filters (A = regulator, B = Sediment filter, C = Carbon filter, D = water softener, E = Flow meter. F = UV filter).

If you don't have the room, look into an under-the-sink RO (Reverse Osmosis) system.

However, I don't recommend inline filters. For one, you can't see what's going on inside. My clear cartridges allowed me to discover an algae bloom before it clogged my system.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

20 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

A better pump and the accumulator tank are just about necessities.  Any pump is probably better than the Shurflow you have.  Look at  https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/  and I like the Jabsco Paramax line of pumps.  

I like the Jabsco pumps but how readily available are repair parts for the unit?

3 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

The parts are available online.  Just Google

jabsco parmax pump rebuild kit

Thanks, man! I always travel with parts for systems that prove to be a pain point. EX, if my $200 MPPT charge controller takes a crap, my $20 PWM controller will do in a pinch.

5 hours ago, Zulu said:

I carry a spare pump. While they might be repairable, I'd rather attempt repair after my spare is installed.

No. I replaced my ShurFlo (which is now my spare) with an AquaJet -- no need for accumulator.

I use large cartridge filters (A = regulator, B = Sediment filter, C = Carbon filter, D = water softener, E = Flow meter. F = UV filter).

If you don't have the room, look into an under-the-sink RO (Reverse Osmosis) system.

However, I don't recommend inline filters. For one, you can't see what's going on inside. My clear cartridges allowed me to discover an algae bloom before it clogged my system.

Are you referring to the little screw-in filters on the Shurflo or something different?

An On-the-Go combined with a Berkey is cheaper than an RO system because they last longer (both filter media lasts about 7 years). Less parts to maintain, smaller foot print, less leak potential, and can be used while boondocking (an RO system wastes half of the water filtered). 

Rex & Karen

If you look at the Drinking Water Watch website, there are several RV parks that are on a boil water notice due to E-coli contamination. I've been to one of the RV parks, but was never informed about the water issue and did not see the notice posted. RV parks are not monitored very well due to the transitory nature of its residents. 

Rex & Karen

9 minutes ago, BigTexRex said:

If you look at the Drinking Water Watch website, there are several RV parks that are on a boil water notice due to E-coli contamination. I've been to one of the RV parks, but was never informed about the water issue and did not see the notice posted. RV parks are not monitored very well due to the transitory nature of its residents. 

Logically , parks should be monitored on a much higher level than the 'status quo' BECAUSE of the transitory nature of it's residents . 

But , obviously , anyone using a park is of less significance ... :(

Goes around , comes around .

21 minutes ago, BigTexRex said:

Is there a national site or are there only 'by state' sites for  Drinking Water Watch ?

Please post a link .

Goes around , comes around .

Having RV'd across the country for 47 years in public and private and remote parks and all sorts of so called "potable" ????? water sources and even with any sort or sediment and carbon filters or expensive purification systems WE CHOOSE TO DRINK (including coffer or tea etc)  BOTTLED (including gallon jugs and the machines outside stores)  WATER. I just trust their water and purification and filtration methods versus well or municipal sources across the country, ESPECIALLY in remote sources. Ever see some of the supposed "potable" water supplies in Natl Forest Camps out west lol, I go with bottled water versus any of those even if I hade my own "filters" and "purifiers".  In addition, as compared to the total cost of RV travel, drinking water, is hardly a "drop in the bucket"  PUN INTENDED lol

Of course, this is another one of those personal free choice decisions regardless if a person chooses an expensive filtration system or a cheap system or strictly bottled water, whatever works for them is fine with me, no arguments....

John T

9 hours ago, BigTexRex said:

If you look at the Drinking Water Watch website, there are several RV parks that are on a boil water notice due to E-coli contamination.

Looking at Drinking Water Watch, it wants the water system number and I do not know where to find it?

Archived