Polk County Tax Office changes

Received my truck registration/inspection sticker and the Polk county folks in the tax office now require for all transactions you will provide a copy of your Texas DL. Letter says "This includes anyone who is the registered owner of the vehicle as well as the check signer". "Requests without proper documentation will be returned". I'm sure this pertains to registration for all rigs, 5 er's, trailers, etc.

Thought I would pass this along as I didn't see any other posts about this. 

Dave

2004 Volvo 630 left tandem with 12 speed Freedomline

2014 Sandpiper 35 ROK 42' fifth wheel

Western Golf & Country Cart (EZ-GO frame)

That's strange.  I'm not aware of any Texas law which requires the owner of a vehicle to also have a driver's license.  Are you sure they're not just requiring some form of identification?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Three years ago as I remember, the two vehicle's insurance came first than inspection before going to the County Clerks office. I know the last thing was getting my Driver License.

I wonder if there was address problem somehow?

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I believe I posted something about this in another thread some time back. I got a note back saying that they would honor my check on the one I had sent in but all in the future that were paid by check would require the copy of the DL.  It might apply to using a money order too. 

6 hours ago, bigjim said:

I believe I posted something about this in another thread some time back. I got a note back saying that they would honor my check on the one I had sent in but all in the future that were paid by check would require the copy of the DL.  It might apply to using a money order too. 

Well, that makes sense.  Most prosecutors won't bring a theft by check case up unless the merchant requires adequate identification (i.e. driver's license or official ID) when accepting the check.  I didn't realize that's what the OP was trying to say.  It's been that way forever at my local tax office.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

About two weeks ago I was in the Smith Co. office of motor vehicles to renew the registration for our truck. When paying by check and in person I still had to show my TX-DL but it was for the check and the clerk wrote my DL number on the face of the check. I suspect it is the check which is at issue. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The TX motor vehicles doesn't take Credit cards?

In Florida I have done my MH & toad vehicle registration on line for many years. They do charge me a $2 mail fee for a 2 year registration.
But I can't drive the round trip for gas $ less then that. And then the long wait in lines after getting there.

I just checked my Quicken and the last 3 checks I wrote out was 8/3/16, 4/3/17 and 7/20/17.
I pay off my CC every month and like the 1% cash back with 2% on grocery's and 3% on all fuel bought.

I do use a check on those yearly payments that say if I use a CC they will auto bill me next year on the CC and I'm not sure I will renew with them next year.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

1 hour ago, Biker56 said:

The TX motor vehicles doesn't take Credit cards?

Online renewal in Texas is easy with a CC but when you go in person to the local tax office it is different. I believe (could be wrong) that is it up to the individual County Tax Assessor to decide whether to take CC's or not. When I bought the new DRV the lady told me I didn't want to pay by CC. I asked why not and she explained they charged a 2% surcharge for CC. I just paid 6.25% sales tax on the purchase price. 2% of the sales tax was another $1000+. I think I'll continue using checks. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

The letter was sent with my new truck sticker. This applies to Polk County. I posted what the letter said word for word. 

I don't know the why's or how comes. Something happened at the Polk County tax office.

Running transaction with a credit card is not "free" no matter where you use one. Merchants pay a fee (or percentage) to the card clearing companies and consider that fee a cost of doing business. Government entities for the most part recoup that fee from you the user as they are not a for profit entity and therefore do not have the ability to call it a cost of business (government?). 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

3 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

Running transaction with a credit card is not "free" no matter where you use one. Merchants pay a fee (or percentage) to the card clearing companies and consider that fee a cost of doing business. Government entities for the most part recoup that fee from you the user as they are not a for profit entity and therefore do not have the ability to call it a cost of business (government?). 

Is there someone who didn't know this already?

20 hours ago, Big5er said:

Online renewal in Texas is easy with a CC but when you go in person to the local tax office it is different. I believe (could be wrong) that is it up to the individual County Tax Assessor to decide whether to take CC's or not. When I bought the new DRV the lady told me I didn't want to pay by CC. I asked why not and she explained they charged a 2% surcharge for CC. I just paid 6.25% sales tax on the purchase price. 2% of the sales tax was another $1000+. I think I'll continue using checks. 

Dang , 50 grand just for sales tax . I knew I was in the wrong line of work . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

I don't know about online registration. The letter stating what I posted was sent in the envelope containing my truck reg/inspect sticker. Just thought it would be usefull for folks who use Livingston/SKP as their legal domicile and do business with Polk County.

Dave

Online registration you agree to the $2.00 fee to process the renewal charge.  DL is for those who pay be check.  

When moving from out-of-state you use your current ID, which would be your current DL in former state to pay initial fees for registration.  Then go get your DL for your new address.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

9 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Dang , 50 grand just for sales tax . I knew I was in the wrong line of work . ;)

oops...extra zero on there...Good catch Pete :) Shoulda been $100+, not a 1000. duh, someday I will learn to type 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

12 hours ago, Big5er said:

, someday I will learn to type 

My computer isn't all that smart either. The darned thing always puts down whatever I happen to hit on the keyboard, not what it should know that I intended to say! And when spell-check gets involved it can really get interesting. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/register-your-vehicle

This is the way I get my plates renewed if you are out of state you will not have to have an inspection to renew but upon returning to the state you have 3 days to get the inspection done. If you do not have it done and get pulled over then your butt is well done as in fried.  They even give you a 1.00 discount for doing it this way.

Fixed after Big Jim pointed out my mistake. 3 days not 30 days to get your inspection after returning to the state.

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

8 hours ago, TomNGina said:

30 days to get the inspection

TomnGina, I thought this was wrong so I just looked it up on the link you provided. It took a little to find it but it says, " Once you return to the state, you must complete a Texas vehicle inspection within 3 days of arrival at your home, duty station, or destination."  Just a heads up on this for everyone.

I was trying to find the 3 days and couldn't find it fast so dropped the issue. I still curious as a call to the County Clerk in Dec didn't clarify the issue.

Is 3 days, 72 hours? Is 3 days, 3 business days Or ????

My situation this past Dec was fill up in Texarksas AR About dark Friday Dec 31, eat and fuel up. We continued down the road sleeping in Texas. Sunday Dec 31 we made it to our destination.  Monday was a holiday. Tuesday was a cold day and the ice had not started melting of the  truck or FW.  Wednesday Jan 3, we got the FW inspection completed (which incidentally was only 62 hours after the inspection expired).

But long weekends, weather and lack of understanding by a law officer could make life interesting.Never had the problem come up before.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Archived