INTEL Security Issue Update round three

RV_

Disregard the earlier Intel update that came in this morning, this just in: THe Skylake fix didn't and they are recalling that fix. Best bet? Track it here as I will do updates to the updates and when it is clear and the final fix is in, then get it.

Spectre reboot problems: Now Intel replaces its buggy fix for Skylake PCs

And offers patching tips from US CERT, which it failed to brief on the bugs.

Excerpt:

"While updates for Variant 1 Spectre and Variant 3 Meltdown attacks were largely unproblematic, Intel's IBRS fixes for the Variant 2 'branch target injection vulnerability' significantly impacted performance and caused stability problems.

When Intel told customers on January 22 to stop deploying its fix, it said it had developed early fixes for Haswell and Broadwell systems and would eventually release fixes for newer CPUs.

The chipmaker on Wednesday said it has released microcode updates for several Skylake-based platforms, while updates for other architectures will be released in the coming days.

"Earlier this week, we released production microcode updates for several Skylake-based platforms to our OEM customers and industry partners, and we expect to do the same for more platforms in the coming days," Intel vice president Navin Shenoy wrote."

More here:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/spectre-reboot-problems-now-intel-replaces-its-buggy-fix-for-skylake-pcs/?loc=newsletter_large_thumb_featured&ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid=19724681974700635514865380622813

Confused yet? I am.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV

Thanks for the info.  I installed the Speccy software on both of our laptops  and recorded the information.   So I read the article and clicked on the Intel link.  I have Sandy Bridge 32nm Tech on my HP Probook 4530 Intel Core i3.  So the Intel link took me to a Microsoft link that showed they had put out a patch on 29 Jan 18.  Update KB4078130 and it said you would need to manually download it that it would not do it under auto update.  Anyway hit the download button for the patch and nothing no download nothing.  Any thoughts on what I might have done wrong?  I checked my update history and it does show any update by that number.

Thanks

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Update

Man did downloading the MS Update KB 4078130 for the Sandy Bridge 32NM Tech patch totally jack up my computer.  I had to do a complete system image restore which took the system back to 1/13/2018.  It is all done but what a pain in the ass that was.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Dennis,

Since the normal 2nd Tues. patch day was close I left it alone. I did today's patches with no issues seen on any of my three tablets and three desktop systems all Windows. I may have to check my phones for Android Updates and my Fire Tablets for them too, although they are no longer supporting the 7" HDXs we have. However the last gen 8.9" HDX and our daily use Fire Tablets, the 10" 2018 model and 8" HD 2017 need to be checked for updates too.  I use the 8.9"HDX as a bedside kindle/alarm clock, music, streaming movies in bed system, And Lynn uses her 8" 2017 as the same bedside functions I do too. Our Newest 10" 2018 model full HD is her living room Tablet, and my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with the i7/8GB RAM/256GB SSD is my Living room tablet. I am selling the Surface 3 Pro as soon as the 4 goes back to Microsoft for warranty exchange or repair.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived