SD Drivers Liscense Renewal

Twotoes

I use the Escapees address for my SD drivers liscense and registration. I can renew the registration every year by mail, no inspection required. My drivers liscense is good for 5 years. My liscense expires on 01/01/2019. The SD web site says that you can renew by mail if you have a physical address in SD. But if you use a PMB you must go in person AND show proof of one night stay just like you did when you originally got the liscense. It does not say how early you can renew. I don’t want to go to SD in Dec. I would like to go in Aug. Does anyone know how soon before expiration you can renew? I did try to call them but wasn’t able to get anyone on the phone and the web site is unclear on this point  

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

When to Renew Your SD Driver's License

The South Dakota Department of Public Safety will mail or e-mail you a renewal noticebefore your SD driver's license expires. However, you should still be aware of when you need to renew.

Your South Dakota driver's license will expire every 5 years on your birthday. You can renew it up to 180 days before the expiration date.

Your requirements may differ based on the status and validity of your license, outlined further below.

If you've already renewed you driver's license, you can check the status of its processing by contacting the SD DPS.

The person who administered my license test in Hot Springs said I could renew on-line in 5 years...and she knew my situation/using a Madison, SD address.  I didn't take the time to look that part up for you - I'll worry about it in 5 years :)

6 hours ago, Twotoes said:

But if you use a PMB you must go in person AND show proof of one night stay just like you did when you originally got the liscense.

Another point that's often overlooked is that the campground or hotel receipt only has to be within one year from the date on which you are doing the renewal.  That means that, for example, you could visit SD sometime earlier in the year and then use the receipt for a "renewal by mail" at the time you process your renewal.  I don't know if this will help you, but possibly you'll be planning a vacation that summer that might take you to SD.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

If 65+ you'll need to supply an eye exam.  Also proof or residency which I think would be a campground or motel receipt less than a year old for each person renewing their license.   Greg

Below is from their website:     https://www.dmv.org/sd-south-dakota/renew-license.php#Online-Drivers-License-Renewal

Online Driver's License Renewal

To renew your South Dakota driver license online, you must have:

• A federally compliant SD driver's license.
  • A vision test report dated no more than 6 months if you are 65 years old or older.
  • Proof of your South Dakota residency on file with the SD DPS (no more than 1 year old).

If you meet the requirements above, you can renew your SD driver's license online every 10 years.

To renew online, visit the South Dakota DPS online renewal website. You'll need to provide:

• Your SD driver's license number.
  • Your date of birth.
  • The last 4 digits of your Social Security number.
  • Payment for the $28 renewal fee and the $2 or 2.95% (whichever is greater) administrative fee.
    • Must be made by VISA or MasterCard credit/debit card.

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Also, if necessary, you can get up to a one year extension on your current license by calling them directly. Give them your info and circumstances and they'll mail you a written extension, so you can delay your trip to SD until the weather allows.

Jim Schavone

X2 on what schavone said. A few years ago we called and got a 1 year extension on hubby's DL. This year I renewed both by email, it was easy. Don't want to encourage skirting the rules but our mail forwarding service provided the overnight receipt. 

Jan & Thomas

2012 Drv Mobile Suite 5'r

2012 Ford F350 Super Duty

Archived